Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

39 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’ve heard there are plenty of Facebook groups where people discuss what to stock up. I haven’t heard of groups specifically for remainers though, if that’s important for you. Do they stock up different things and it would be worth learning from them?

One could easily learn from the old wartime recipes,

1918 War cake, Oxford potato soup, Lord Woolton pie,

Brown Windsor soup, Potato piglets.

Vintage wartime recipes are healthy as they contain

little fat and sugar. Many of us need to lose a few lbs.

Probably stock up with 2 condoms too, just in case.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Source?

I am not sure of the source for the one above but here are 3 more in the same refrain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/exit-polls/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2016/results/exit-polls

If they are not enough to keep you happy I suggest that you look here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2016+U.S+Presidential+Election.+Exit+poll.&oq=2016+U.S+Presidential+Election.+Exit+poll.&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

About 9,430,000 results (0.60 seconds) 

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Whilst I agree entirely about polls, and especially YouGov polls - this one matches my opinion ????.

It was definitely a tongue in cheek remark but I respect your opinion. But not an argument by remainers that Brexit is bad like some posters are suggesting..

12 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

One could easily learn from the old wartime recipes,

1918 War cake, Oxford potato soup, Lord Woolton pie,

Brown Windsor soup, Potato piglets.

Vintage wartime recipes are healthy as they contain

little fat and sugar. Many of us need to lose a few lbs.

Probably stock up with 2 condoms too, just in case.

I imagine that it would be the doomsday preppers guide and tin foil hats.????????

4 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

He understood the job of a negotiator. 

What type of club the EU is when the chief negotiator has to make comments like this. The clowns in Brussels are still baffled why the people voted to leave. Lets bully the UK people and they will come running back. Delusional in every way.

The saddest thing for me is we have some UK citizens who would support him.:shock1: Which remainer on here who is a UK citizen will support what he says. I can't wait to hear.

29 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

His comment is undemocratic and I would like, as I hope at least  17.4 million others, would like to shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

I see, these days you call everything you don’t like and don’t have a constructive argument against “undemocratic”, showing the whole

world you don’t have a clue what the word “democratic” means, on top of showing the world that you don’t have a clue a negotiator is not there to hand out nicely wrapped pink unicorns. 

22 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

What type of club the EU is when the chief negotiator has to make comments like this.

Apparently a club with clear job descriptions. 

The clowns in Brussels are still baffled why the people voted to leave. Lets bully the UK people and they will come running back. Delusional in every way.

They came running back already. Barnier is only there because the UK wants to negotiate post-Brexit relationships. 

The saddest thing for me is we have some UK citizens who would support him.:shock1: Which remainer on here who is a UK citizen will support what he says. I can't wait to hear.

Those who don’t live in cloud cuckoo land. So probably everyone else than the Brexiteers. 

2 hours ago, rixalex said:

Well for me, the first thing is we need a full and proper break from the EU. Not some sort of a wishy-washy, half-in, half out affair that some are calling for. So that means out of the Single Market and out of the Custom's Union. If we don't do that, then as other's have said, we are better off staying in.

Although i appreciate you aren't British, since you are a keen follower of these matters, please feel free to answer the question yourself.

Typical Brexiteer answer. Just want to leave the EU, no idea what to do when it actually happens..

There are no opportunities in Brexit (well, not for the UK at least).

9 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

That's not negotiating, it's known as coercion in the UK.

Well, I guess for people bragging about the easiest deal in history and having a cake and it eat it, returning back to reality must feel like coercion. 

Either way, with all those trade deals you will have to negotiate on your own post-Brexit, I wish you good luck applying your understanding what negotiating should be like. 

23 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I see, these days you call everything you don’t like and don’t have a constructive argument against “undemocratic”, showing the whole

world you don’t have a clue what the word “democratic”

Oh dear not the brightest. Ah well. No more replies to you.

The referendum was a democratic process of leaving or staying in the EU. To stop that happening which Barnier has stated and you seem excited about is undemocratic.

Let the referendum be acted upon and come back later and revisit that decision would not be undemocratic.

By the way you are not arguing constructively at all. You are showing a multitude of ignorance. Goodbye.

38 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

To stop that happening which Barnier has stated and you seem excited about is undemocratic.

If you haven’t noticed, Barnier is the EU negotiator. He’s not an UK politician. He cannot make your manipulated vote “stop happening”. In fact, he didn’t even say so like you’re trying to suggest. If anything I am “excited about” it’s that our people understand their job and do it well: “I’ll have done my job well if...”

And while I understand your frustration about being in a weak negotiation position, that was your choice. You wanted to be a third country, now own it. You wanted to negotiate, now own it. You can always walk away. Just grow some balls and own the consequences of your decisions. 

27 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Typical Brexiteer answer. Just want to leave the EU, no idea what to do when it actually happens..

I simply told you what my first step would be, towards a successful Brexit. What else do you need to know?

However, if you are blinkered to the extent of thinking that there are NO opportunities in Brexit at all, why don't you save everyone time and not ask such questions in the first place?

This exchange gets to the crux of the problem. People so polarized in their opinion that they have lost all perspective or reason. Becoming quite tribal about it all.

I am a supporter of leave but i can see that remaining in the EU would have its benefits. I can still see both sides of the argument. You can not. Take a break or something. Clear your head.

1 hour ago, whatsupdoc said:

Saying that there are no opportunities in Brexit is an

interesting  but unreasonable remark unless you were

thinking of the opportunity of joining the French yellow

vests, and the EU problems in Italy, Spain, Greece etc.

8 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

True. All those exciting trade deals with Chile and the Färöer Islands. Let the EU deal with Japan and the other small fish. 

You have too many negative thoughts.

If opportunity doesn't not knock..build a door.

'A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty'. [Churchill]

4 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

You have too many negative thoughts.

Not at all. The whole thing is quite amusing and not affecting me negatively at all. It’s just an interesting circus; entertaining like Trump or this videos someone sends you in WhatsApp showing someone shooting himself in the foot. 

4 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

If opportunity doesn't not knock..build a door.

'A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty'. [Churchill]

Good luck with that, I prefer to stay in reality rather than chasing pink unicorns and building castles in the sky. Let’s see who’s knocking whose door in a couple of weeks. 

11 hours ago, nontabury said:

2016 U.S Presidential Election. Exit poll.

education

clinton
trump
other/no answer
high school or less
17%
48% 49% 3%
some college
32%
41% 54% 5%
college graduate
34%
41% 53% 6%
postgraduate
17%
47% 48%

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Source?

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

It should be noted that the reliable sources provided don't confirm the figures in the table posted, as they show a higher share of people who voted Clinton in the graduate and postgraduate layers. 

However it also cannot be said that nearly no educated people voted for Trump as they represent a quite significant share of these layers.

4 hours ago, rixalex said:

Well for me, the first thing is we need a full and proper break from the EU. Not some sort of a wishy-washy, half-in, half out affair that some are calling for. So that means out of the Single Market and out of the Custom's Union. If we don't do that, then as other's have said, we are better off staying in.

Although i appreciate you aren't British, since you are a keen follower of these matters, please feel free to answer the question yourself.

It's unbearably sad that leave voters haven't worked out why the brexit pay out will be in 50 years (Mogg) or 100 years (Digby Jones).

It's because they know it's not coming and you'll be too dead to complain and they'll be too dead to blame.

25 minutes ago, tebee said:

It's unbearably sad that leave voters haven't worked out why the brexit pay out will be in 50 years (Mogg) or 100 years (Digby Jones).

It's because they know it's not coming and you'll be too dead to complain and they'll be too dead to blame.

What's the "Brexit pay out"?

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

You can't blame Barnier for trying, Goebbels would have done the same. The fault lies with the traitor Treason May.

Is that mindless unintelligent post , or can you explain why you think that May has been treasonous ?

People making extreme  illogical posts , doesnt really help the discussion progress

27 minutes ago, tebee said:

It is also unbearable nonsense that you think anyone

can predict the future 50 years in advance, one month

is difficult enough.  Dreamland Bro'.

4 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’ve heard there are plenty of Facebook groups where people discuss what to stock up. I haven’t heard of groups specifically for remainers though, if that’s important for you. Do they stock up different things and it would be worth learning from them?

It's only important to us in that they are convinced by the so called experts of possible stock outages and we uneducated people are looking for advice. We don't know if they stock up on different things; all we know is they give a lot of cadence to the reports of shortages on April 1 as evidenced by many forum contributors.. What are you stocking up on? 

On 2/4/2019 at 12:29 PM, billd766 said:

You may be missing something if you read the link from madmen.

Try this link from the BBC news website this morning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47107561

By Rob Young, BBC business reporter

There's been a run of bad news from the car industry in recent months.

Job losses have been announced at Jaguar Land Rover and Ford and the cancellation of Nissan's X-Trail investment at its Sunderland plant is just the latest disappointment from a sector that was booming a few years ago.

There are many who want to say this is all down to Brexit. But it's not.

Declining car sales in China, the world's biggest car market, have unnerved the industry worldwide. As have falling car sales and an economic rough patch in Europe.

There are questions over whether diesel technology has a future after governments, who pushed it hard until a few years ago, and drivers, who previously liked its fuel efficiency, have become less keen on it.

In the UK, this is all set against the backdrop of Brexit uncertainty.

We are all quite aware that there are various problems in the car industry but the one thing we will never know is would the investment have been withdrawn if the UK had negotiated to remain in the single market.

The diesel problem and the increase in Chinese car production haven't come about recently, unlike the escalating brexit chaos and a Japan/EU FTA.

There won't be much foot left to shoot at soon.

Archived