Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

On 2/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, Loiner said:

I’m not the paranoid one here, I’m quite relaxed about interim standards markings.

We are all perfectly aware how "relaxed" some are over the cost of brexit to business. Been there since day one, brexit means brexit, whatever the cost.

Only the mentally challenged would think that change does not involve cost.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, sandyf said:

We are all quite aware that there are various problems in the car industry but the one thing we will never know is would the investment have been withdrawn if the UK had negotiated to remain in the single market.

The diesel problem and the increase in Chinese car production haven't come about recently, unlike the escalating brexit chaos and a Japan/EU FTA.

There won't be much foot left to shoot at soon.

I tend to lean on the side of a decision which was a better business plan.

Had logistics and the single market been of over riding importance they could have produced their new car in Spain.

1 hour ago, tebee said:

It's unbearably sad that leave voters haven't worked out why the brexit pay out will be in 50 years (Mogg) or 100 years (Digby Jones).

It's because they know it's not coming and you'll be too dead to complain and they'll be too dead to blame.

Twisting facts again tebee, JR Mogg, did not say that, we have been down that road too many times for you not to know this.

1 hour ago, aright said:

It's only important to us in that they are convinced by the so called experts of possible stock outages and we uneducated people are looking for advice. We don't know if they stock up on different things; all we know is they give a lot of cadence to the reports of shortages on April 1 as evidenced by many forum contributors.. What are you stocking up on? 

Hong Thong and soda.

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Hong Thong and soda.

I'm telling you right now Bill it's going to be a disaster. Post Brexit we will be eating roast pigeons and grey squirrels, drinking mead and scrumpy, writing letters instead of e mails, living in mud huts with open fires for cooking, travelling by horse and cart, using the small intestines of sheep for condoms, and listening to blackbirds, nightingales and barn owls instead of BMW's, Mercs and Renaults. You just mark my words. 

On 11/29/2018 at 6:45 AM, simoh1490 said:

It's disheartening to see how yet again the Brexiteers have capitalised on yet another piece of analysis by The Treasury and are quoting just one of the many scenarios that appear in their report, the pro-Brexit newspapers have seized this firmly and are trying to portray Carney as pro-Remain....if in doubt, read the report, I have.

The facts are the Bank has done its job properly, it has created projections on a series of "what if" scenario's and has said what will happen in each case. For whatever self-serving reason the Brexiteer brigade has seized on the worst case option, exactly why they haven't promoted the best case options is truly a mystery because rather than promote their preferred solution they've chosen to attack, yet again, the alternate solution!  I quote Mark Carney who says: He said: "These are scenarios, not forecasts. They illustrate what could happen, not necessarily what is most likely to happen." https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/11/28/mark-carney-accused-project-hysteria-bleak-no-deal-analysis/ (The Telegraph incidentally is a pro-Brexit newspaper).

Exactly these 'scenario's' are pure speculation. The reality is that unless there is a hard brexit we will never know.

The only certainty in any of this was that the EU was never going to fair in dealing because a) they are losing the second largest contributor and b) they have to deter everyone else from leaving. To whit, it's all about money....

13 hours ago, aright said:

Can those Remainers who live in the UK tell us what goods and food items they will be stocking up on prior to the end of March deadline?

Living in the U.K I would like to be able to ask such a question of a remainer, however I think they’ve hibernated, problem as a result of their shame.

From what I can tell,everyone is simple laughing at these prophesies of doom and gloom. But it does give us a good laugh, reading them in the media.

21 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Living in the U.K I would like to be able to ask such a question of a remainer, however I think they’ve hibernated, problem as a result of their shame.

From what I can tell,everyone is simple laughing at these prophesies of doom and gloom. But it does give us a good laugh, reading them in the media.

Facebook groups including one called 48% Preppers, which has more than 7,800 members, are sharing tips on how to how to stockpile.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/no-deal-brexit-stockpile-preppers-food-ports/

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

What type of club the EU is when the chief negotiator has to make comments like this. The clowns in Brussels are still baffled why the people voted to leave. Lets bully the UK people and they will come running back. Delusional in every way.

The saddest thing for me is we have some UK citizens who would support him.:shock1: Which remainer on here who is a UK citizen will support what he says. I can't wait to hear.

i watched a TV show last night about the greek crisis and the EU were tough with greece and rightly so they fiddled the books to join and lived way beyond their means nothing they did was bullying same same they have not bullied the UK,you still dont get it,come back for what? they dont want or need to offer anything,iam not a supporter of him or any EU chief all they are doing is looking after their interests,once again THEY DONT NEED US

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Twisting facts again tebee, JR Mogg, did not say that, we have been down that road too many times for you not to know this.

didnt jrm move his bizzness to dublin?,thats a good advert for brexit,nearly as bad as farage's 2 sons having german passports,there's barely a high profile brexiteer who doest have there own interests at heart.shameful 

13 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

The UK is 13th in the world for motor vehicle production. Germany, Spain and France are the only EU states ahead of the UK in that table. 

And if Germany are signing trade deals with Germany, they really are clever...

that deal i heard took 7 years to get done,never mind the chile wine deal will keep the UK ticking over until then,13th isnt that impressive to to be fair and it will be even lower in the near future.

36 minutes ago, bomber said:

didnt jrm move his bizzness to dublin?,thats a good advert for brexit,nearly as bad as farage's 2 sons having german passports,there's barely a high profile brexiteer who doest have there own interests at heart.shameful 

thought Farage was married to a German lady,

what is weird with her offspring having German passports?

thought Farage was married to a German lady,
what is weird with her offspring having German passports?

Remainers just don’t get it about Leavers. Their usual xenophobe insults twist the desire for Brexit to be hate for European countries and people.
Not so, it’s the EU institution that we want to extricate our country from.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, bomber said:

again you seem to refer to the EU only surviving because of "our" money,if this was the case then surely they would be grovelling for us to stay instead of not being bothered,these UK politicians are meant to be your saviour well it seems you dont have much faith in them,got help them when they go around the world securing those great trade deals that are going to make britain great again,the Nigerians will make mince meat of them,as for ford it was last week,the others are also gearing up ready to leave.

Ford_ Almost 1,000 Bridgend job losses by 2021 outlined to unions - BBC News.html

The Ford closure was on the cards long before Brexit. It’s an old factory requiring lots of investment. As to Nissan the domestic UK aversion to diesels has a major effect and the fact that the EU revived the previously dead JP trade deal they knew would affect us but allow BMW and Mercedes tarrif free access to the  JP market. Why make in the EU when you don’t need to pay tarrifs?

Best we’re out of the evil dogmatic EU, it does us no favours

4 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

The Ford closure was on the cards long before Brexit. It’s an old factory requiring lots of investment. As to Nissan the domestic UK aversion to diesels has a major effect and the fact that the EU revived the previously dead JP trade deal they knew would affect us but allow BMW and Mercedes tarrif free access to the  JP market. Why make in the EU when you don’t need to pay tarrifs?

and it seems there arent going to be many favours coming from leaving,other than a nice deal for us to import chilean wine ????   oh yes we have escaped the evil EU everything else doesnt matter,i for one hope the UK goes down the drain and people remember who brought it all about,in 5-10 years time you people will still be blaming the EU for everything.

Ford_ Almost 1,000 Bridgend job losses by 2021 outlined to unions - BBC News.html

20 minutes ago, bomber said:

and it seems there arent going to be many favours coming from leaving,other than a nice deal for us to import chilean wine ????   oh yes we have escaped the evil EU everything else doesnt matter,i for one hope the UK goes down the drain and people remember who brought it all about,in 5-10 years time you people will still be blaming the EU for everything.

"I for one hope the UK goes down the drain"

To wish that on 60 million people is really bitter and twisted. 

On 2/4/2019 at 9:29 AM, sandyf said:

Not on hold and leaving the EU is a relevant factor.

"For those reasons the company has decided to optimise our investments and concentrate production in Kyushu, instead of adding another production site. For the European business, this does not change the fact that X-Trail is – and will continue to be – a crucial model for us.

“Today’s announcement will be interpreted by a lot of people as a decision related to Brexit. We have taken this decision for the business reasons I’ve explained, but clearly the uncertainty around the UK’s future relationship with the EU is not helping companies like ours to plan for the future.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/nissan-brexit-sunderland-japan-job-cuts-uk-eu-trade-exports-no-deal-gianluca-de-ficchy-a8760756.html

"No jobs are expected to be lost." - Well that's a relief! 

the fact is that before Brexit the British motor industry was on the up and up......Nissan, even after a bribe along with virtually ALL the UK motor industry are now looking to contract or relocate - "No jobs are expected to be lost." indeed! ... and see how long that prospect 

holds....

44 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

"no-deal Brexit would mean costs of $800m in 2019 alone" - Ford - planned for long ago was it?

how about in December last year..."Ford boss warns a no-deal Brexit would be a 'catastrophe', with factory closures and job losses" - This is Money

7 minutes ago, aright said:

"I for one hope the UK goes down the drain"

To wish that on 60 million people is really bitter and twisted. 

not really i wont be living there,it was a shambles of a place even before brexit,brexit and the clowns who voted for it will make it even worse unless the govt stop it or half stop it,you may think different and i respect your decision,i have no kids so its future doesnt really matter to me,my parents wont be affected by the nutters,ive done my work and made my money and will be leaving,at least i wont be clogging up the hospital waiting rooms in my old age,that will please many on here,claimed £200 in benefits in 50 years and never spend a night in a hospital,pity there werent a lot more like me then the country wouldnt be bankrupt and on its knee's.

19 minutes ago, wilcopops said:

the fact is that before Brexit the British motor industry was on the up and up......Nissan, even after a bribe along with virtually ALL the UK motor industry are now looking to contract or relocate - "No jobs are expected to be lost." indeed! ... and see how long that prospect 

holds....

its now not a case of if but when the job loses come,its damage limitation a bit like Brexit overall,even if brexit still didnt happen its cost billions,vast majority of expats alone around the world are £15-30k out of pocket so far and probably with worse to come,

12 minutes ago, bomber said:

not really i wont be living there,it was a shambles of a place even before brexit,brexit and the clowns who voted for it will make it even worse unless the govt stop it or half stop it,you may think different and i respect your decision,i have no kids so its future doesnt really matter to me,my parents wont be affected by the nutters,ive done my work and made my money and will be leaving,at least i wont be clogging up the hospital waiting rooms in my old age,that will please many on here,claimed £200 in benefits in 50 years and never spend a night in a hospital,pity there werent a lot more like me then the country wouldnt be bankrupt and on its knee's.

I have no desire to live in Europe and I certainly want no part of the current EU but I don't wish the people any harm. That's the difference.

9 minutes ago, aright said:

I have no desire to live in Europe and I certainly want no part of the current EU but I don't wish the people any harm. That's the difference.

it seems you must be well happy with things in the UK then,maybe the colder climate is you you,each to there own,i will go to the evil empire that is certain to fail ???? you stay put and enjoy.

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

We are all quite aware that there are various problems in the car industry but the one thing we will never know is would the investment have been withdrawn if the UK had negotiated to remain in the single market.

I would say "Yes" it would , reason being that trade deal negotiations are still underway and the outcome is currently unknown , if the deciding factor regarding Nissan was the UK/EU trade agreement , Nissan would have waiting a few more weeks until the deal/no deal was announced .

Its quite clear that diesel cars in Europe are a thing of the past , they will probably be completely banned in Europe within 20 or so years  , it wouldnt make sense to built a new factory to produce diesel cars and Nissan themselves will stop producing new desel model cars within a few years .

This is the beginning of the end of diesel cars in Europe and it wouldnt make sense to build a new factory to make those cars

4 hours ago, wilcopops said:

holds....

According to Wiki (and I do take this with a pinch of salt)

In 2008 the UK automotive manufacturing sector had a turnover of £52.5 billion, generated £26.6 billion of exports and produced around 1.45 million passenger vehicles and 203,000 commercial vehicles.[1] In that year around 180,000 people were directly employed in automotive manufacturing in the UK, with a further 640,000 people employed in automotive supply, retail and servicing.[1] This declined to 147,000 including supply industry in 2014 (-18%)[2] The UK is a major centre for engine manufacturing and in 2008 around 3.16 million engines were produced in the country.[1] The UK has a significant presence in auto racing and the UK motorsport industry currently employs around 38,500 people, comprises around 4,500 companies and has an annual turnover of around £6 billion.[3]

7 hours ago, bomber said:
20 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

The UK is 13th in the world for motor vehicle production. Germany, Spain and France are the only EU states ahead of the UK in that table. 

And if Germany are signing trade deals with Germany, they really are clever...

that deal i heard took 7 years to get done,never mind the chile wine deal will keep the UK ticking over until then,13th isnt that impressive to to be fair and it will be even lower in the near future.

No offence, but if you think Germany did a trade deal with Germany, and it took them 7 years to do a deal with themselves, you're perhaps not informed enough on this subject to comment. 

12 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Good luck with that, I prefer to stay in reality rather than chasing pink unicorns and building castles in the sky.

I notice you like to talk about pink unicorns and castles in the sky.

You seem to believe the EU project is a great thing, and that all EU member states have an amazing future ahead of them. Perhaps you feel the EU commission is run by good honest men who spend public money wisely, and who only have the interests of their loyal subjects at heart. Maybe you believe that all EU policies are for the good of the people and are not influenced by corporate lobbyists. And I suspect that your vision of the EU in 10 years time is one big happy family of member states, all living in harmony, all with flourishing economies. 

That's your pink unicorn, and your castle in the sky my friend. 

29 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

No offence, but if you think Germany did a trade deal with Germany, and it took them 7 years to do a deal with themselves, you're perhaps not informed enough on this subject to comment. 

read this its Germany/Japan,i heard someone say on the radio it took 7 years to do,that could be false i wouldnt know,anyway where are all these rich countries who were doing to be having orgasms at the prospect of signing trade deals with the UK

Japan and Germany agree to promote free trade, rules-based order _ The Japan Times.html

Archived