Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

19 minutes ago, aright said:

Yes I live and work in the UK and have no desire to change that situation. That's not to say I dislike Europe; last year  27% of my business was done there and I visit regularly for business and pleasure. I spent last Christmas and New Year in Belgium and France which was all pleasure.

In the next post you mention our loyal friend Dyson. Because of my business I move in engineering circles and the word on the street is he moved to Singapore not only to get him close to his prime markets but because he also felt TM's heart was not in getting us out of the EU, and the UK would continue to be dominated by rules and regulations determined by the Franco-German alliance. His EU concerns extended to his perceived slow moving driverless and electric car technology which would have likely produced the same bag-less cyclone treatment he got from the Germans when they tied him up with a 5 year pointless case in the Euro courts. Let's not forget the effect the Germans had on his European business spuriously protecting their own manufacturers. 

The majority of my contacts in the UK have already made plans to concentrate on global markets with less focus on the EU, as have I, and in my case I have supply agreements with all my major customers prior to and post Brexit.

I was recently reminded by a close associate, there are 7 billion consumers in the world and an EU without the UK only contains 440 million. 

As for wishing harm to others, if push came to shove I could possibly think of a few. ????

so your contacts plan to concentrate on global markets,surely any company/business would of done this regardless of brexit,any news so for on how well they are doing with their concentration,it sounds good the term global market until you realise who you are dealing with which in many cases will be third world people with very little to offer and in many cases trying to rip off the customer/client,and often logistical hassles,the benefits of the EU single market wont be replaced by anything globally in the vast majority of cases and even more so with a crash out and nothing in place,3-5 years of proper planning and deals already in place then possibly who knows but that aint happened and there is nothing whatsoever in sight,the big deals that were talked about 2 years ago with the US and various other nations just havent happened,nobody seems bothered about the UK,the US economy is doing well enough with out us,and after the US there is only china and india that have huge markets and what can the UK produce to sell to them? very little imo,so any deal with them would only benefit them and if it didnt they would walk away from the table,they dont need us they have huge growth anyway.  

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, aright said:

Yes I live and work in the UK and have no desire to change that situation. That's not to say I dislike Europe; last year  27% of my business was done there and I visit regularly for business and pleasure. I spent last Christmas and New Year in Belgium and France which was all pleasure.

In the next post you mention our loyal friend Dyson. Because of my business I move in engineering circles and the word on the street is he moved to Singapore not only to get him close to his prime markets but because he also felt TM's heart was not in getting us out of the EU, and the UK would continue to be dominated by rules and regulations determined by the Franco-German alliance. His EU concerns extended to his perceived slow moving driverless and electric car technology which would have likely produced the same bag-less cyclone treatment he got from the Germans when they tied him up with a 5 year pointless case in the Euro courts. Let's not forget the effect the Germans had on his European business spuriously protecting their own manufacturers. 

The majority of my contacts in the UK have already made plans to concentrate on global markets with less focus on the EU, as have I, and in my case I have supply agreements with all my major customers prior to and post Brexit.

I was recently reminded by a close associate, there are 7 billion consumers in the world and an EU without the UK only contains 440 million. 

As for wishing harm to others, if push came to shove I could possibly think of a few. ????

Well then everything is fine. In terms of the number of potential consumers, it depends on the product you want to sell too. Purchasing power and demand structures are very different worldwide.

As a startup in Africa, Dyson would certainly not have been so successful with his vacuum cleaners.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jan/22/dyson-to-move-company-hq-to-singapore

"Dyson supported Britain’s campaign to leave the European Union, citing labor laws which he said force him to hire engineers from the trading bloc instead of better qualified equivalents from, for example, Asia"

Is that a hypocritical argument? For top engineers from third countries there is always a way into Europe. There are even special programs from the EU.

Dyson speaks here with a forked tongue.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-01-22/brexit-sucks-the-air-out-of-james-dyson-s-singapore-move

8 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/feb/06/brexit-latest-news-developments-pmqs-theresa-may-faces-further-backlash-after-backstop-comments-in-belfast-speech-politics-live

“An engineering employer said to me yesterday, ‘Actually D-Day is much closer for us — it’s the middle to the end of February if you are shipping to the Far East.’ The reason for that is if you are sending a consignment of goods to Japan or South Korea, it’s going to take six weeks for it to arrive. Both countries have free-trade agreements with the EU, which will fall if we have no deal. So you don’t know whether the goods that you’ve had to embark on the ocean, when they arrive there will be admitted and if so what tariffs are going to be paid.”

???? 

good point,its squeaky bum time.  What happened to all those great trade deals that were going to happen? all those nations who were creaming themselves at the thought of a trade deal with the mighty UK,iam still waiting to read about any,have i missed them? 

7 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Well then everything is fine. In terms of the number of potential consumers, it depends on the product you want to sell too. Purchasing power and demand structures are very different worldwide.

As a startup in Africa, Dyson would certainly not have been so successful with his vacuum cleaners.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jan/22/dyson-to-move-company-hq-to-singapore

"Dyson supported Britain’s campaign to leave the European Union, citing labor laws which he said force him to hire engineers from the trading bloc instead of better qualified equivalents from, for example, Asia"

Is that a hypocritical argument? For top engineers from third countries there is always a way into Europe. There are even special programs from the EU.

Dyson speaks here with a forked tongue.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-01-22/brexit-sucks-the-air-out-of-james-dyson-s-singapore-move

Dyson is only after what is best for him,which is fair enough,he couldnt give a fukc about the UK,his products are over rated and expensive anyway,but i wonder how big his back hander was of the singaporeans?

57 minutes ago, aright said:

it seems the are other trade deals we will lose even after leaving the EU

No-deal Brexit threat to 40 trade deals, says CBI - BBC News.html

3 minutes ago, bomber said:

Dyson is only after what is best for him,which is fair enough,he couldnt give a fukc about the UK,his products are over rated and expensive anyway,but i wonder how big his back hander was of the singaporeans?

Unfortunately what Dyson also conceals, is that his products within the EU are quite well protected from imitators. In China there blows a much rougher wind.

23 minutes ago, bomber said:

so your contacts plan to concentrate on global markets,surely any company/business would of done this regardless of brexit,any news so for on how well they are doing with their concentration,it sounds good the term global market until you realise who you are dealing with which in many cases will be third world people with very little to offer and in many cases trying to rip off the customer/client,and often logistical hassles,the benefits of the EU single market wont be replaced by anything globally in the vast majority of cases and even more so with a crash out and nothing in place,3-5 years of proper planning and deals already in place then possibly who knows but that aint happened and there is nothing whatsoever in sight,the big deals that were talked about 2 years ago with the US and various other nations just havent happened,nobody seems bothered about the UK,the US economy is doing well enough with out us,and after the US there is only china and india that have huge markets and what can the UK produce to sell to them? very little imo,so any deal with them would only benefit them and if it didnt they would walk away from the table,they dont need us they have huge growth anyway.  

If you want to pm me your e mail address I will be happy to give it to my contacts. I'm sure they will be grateful to receive your consulting expertise in this area. It appears to be very extensive.

17 minutes ago, bomber said:

good point,its squeaky bum time.  What happened to all those great trade deals that were going to happen? all those nations who were creaming themselves at the thought of a trade deal with the mighty UK,iam still waiting to read about any,have i missed them? 

No, what you've missed is the fact we haven't left the EU yet. And while in the EU we can't strike trade deals with other countries. 

38 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/feb/06/brexit-latest-news-developments-pmqs-theresa-may-faces-further-backlash-after-backstop-comments-in-belfast-speech-politics-live

“An engineering employer said to me yesterday, ‘Actually D-Day is much closer for us — it’s the middle to the end of February if you are shipping to the Far East.’ The reason for that is if you are sending a consignment of goods to Japan or South Korea, it’s going to take six weeks for it to arrive. Both countries have free-trade agreements with the EU, which will fall if we have no deal. So you don’t know whether the goods that you’ve had to embark on the ocean, when they arrive there will be admitted and if so what tariffs are going to be paid.”

???? 

Don’t worry, it’s going to be alright. They promised:

After we Vote Leave, we would immediately be able to start negotiating new trade deals with emerging economies and the world’s biggest economies (the US, China and Japan, as well as Canada, Australia, South Korea, New Zealand, and so on), which could enter into force immediately after the UK leaves the EU.”

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/a_framework_for_taking_back_control_and_establishing_a_new_uk_eu_deal_after_23_june.html

2 minutes ago, samran said:

After we Vote Leave, we would immediately be able to start negotiating new trade deals with emerging economies and the world’s biggest economies (the US, China and Japan, as well as Canada, Australia, South Korea, New Zealand, and so on), which could enter into force immediately after the UK leaves the EU.”

http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/a_framework_for_taking_back_control_and_establishing_a_new_uk_eu_deal_after_23_june.html

dont forget Chile and Iran and Nigera

3 minutes ago, samran said:

In 2017, Mr Fox said that the UK could "replicate the 40 free trade agreements before we leave the EU", so that there would be no disruption to trade.

But with just over two months to go until Brexit, not one has been signed, said the BBC's business correspondent Jonty Bloom.

9 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

No, what you've missed is the fact we haven't left the EU yet. And while in the EU we can't strike trade deals with other countries. 

and how many deals are lined up ready to be signed on the 29th march,none it seems,and it seems germany signed a good one with its old wartime mates,in the meantime our lot were securing jobs for the Chilean wine makers and travelling around the slums of africa,brilliant thinking

3 hours ago, rixalex said:

1) Oh dear... so, still doing your patronizing arrogance thing.

2) Quoting Farage now? His opinion means something to you? Try for some consistency.

3) No, i just want politicians to deliver on what they promise. Some day you'll want that too.

4) I'll take that as a "no" to you compromising on reciprocal rights then?

My chest sticks out so others think I'm a real cock!

As for reciprocity, what are you suggesting? Freedom of movement for European white graduates?

3 minutes ago, samran said:

I think that suggesting they "promised" this is a bit disingenuous. These are the proposed courses of action from Vote Leave. There are many sensible suggestions in there. But all plans have subsequently been derailed by the battles in Parliament, and particularly by those MPs determined to stop Brexit. 

Had Parliament united and got behind the process to get our country the best possible deal, things would have turned out very different. 

In fact those proposals fell at the first hurdle.  How good would this have been! 

"Given the importance of securing a good deal in the national interest and the cross-party nature of the Leave campaign we believe the Government should invite figures from other parties, business, the law and civil society to join the negotiating team"

5 minutes ago, bomber said:

and how many deals are lined up ready to be signed on the 29th march,none it seems,and it seems germany signed a good one with its old wartime mates,in the meantime our lot were securing jobs for the Chilean wine makers and travelling around the slums of africa,brilliant thinking

See my post above that explains why FTA negotiations have stalled / hardly started. 

And Germany have not signed an FTA with Japan. You do know that individual EU member states can't strike bilateral trade deals don't you? 

6 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

In 2017, Mr Fox said that the UK could "replicate the 40 free trade agreements before we leave the EU", so that there would be no disruption to trade.

But with just over two months to go until Brexit, not one has been signed, said the BBC's business correspondent Jonty Bloom.

to late in the day now,snooze you lose,the germans were always on step ahead of us,never mind we wont be leaving without a deal anyway,it will be mays original deal that will get passed,better than no deal but not as good a position as being back in the EU as she stated,personally i think Nissan and others will be leaving anyway,they have been mucked around for 3 years and they aint going to forget it in a hurry,people also seem to forget they are partners with Renault need i say anymore.

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think that suggesting they "promised" this is a bit disingenuous. These are the proposed courses of action from Vote Leave. There are many sensible suggestions in there. But all plans have subsequently been derailed by the battles in Parliament, and particularly by those MPs determined to stop Brexit. 

Had Parliament united and got behind the process to get our country the best possible deal, things would have turned out very different. 

In fact those proposals fell at the first hurdle.  How good would this have been! 

"Given the importance of securing a good deal in the national interest and the cross-party nature of the Leave campaign we believe the Government should invite figures from other parties, business, the law and civil society to join the negotiating team"

Yes, I’m being disingenuous...555

They should have said everyone would get a free pony. Much more realistic. 

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

See my post above that explains why FTA negotiations have stalled / hardly started. 

And Germany have not signed an FTA with Japan. You do know that individual EU member states can't strike bilateral trade deals don't you? 

the agreement is to promote free trade,make of it what you want but they were never going to call it a FTA,  where was our lot while this was going on,oh yes in Chile protecting the future for their wine industry,couldnt make it up

Japan and Germany agree to promote free trade, rules-based order _ The Japan Times.html

34 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Anyhow, these deals are nothing else than an agreement to continue - after Brexit - the application of the current FTA’s between the EU and certain third countries, applying the same tariffs, the same Rules of Origin, covering the same products etc. etc. That’s progress for you? Is this Leavers’ idea of ‘taking back control’?

A real FTA will take complicated and often lengthy negotiations, while a ‘continuity agreement’ can be concluded on a rainy afternoon, requiring not much more than a single A4 sheet.

2 minutes ago, damascase said:

Anyhow, these deals are nothing else than an agreement to continue - after Brexit - the application of the current FTA’s between the EU and certain third countries, applying the same tariffs, the same Rules of Origin, covering the same products etc. etc. That’s progress for you? Is this Leavers’ idea of ‘taking back control’?

A real FTA will take complicated and often lengthy negotiations, while a ‘continuity agreement’ can be concluded on a rainy afternoon, requiring not much more than a single A4 sheet.

As far as I am aware , The UK cannot sign any new trade deals until it has left the E.U.

Some E.U laws

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

As far as I am aware , The UK cannot sign any new trade deals until it has left the E.U.

Some E.U laws

correct but have Farage and Bojo and dyson and Mr spoonie and Tommy travelled the globe to at least be ready or have the papers to sign on the 29 march,like FCKU have they,Boris was too busy bonking,dyson left for asia,farage to busy in brussels,mr spoonie to drunk to negotiate,tommy to busy filling the missus in,  whoops sorry i did see boris on TV at a function to promote trade in Lagos,perhaps we will reap the rewards of the deal on the 29th march,tariff free bananas who needs Nissan???? 

Just now, bomber said:

correct but have Farage and Bojo and dyson and Mr spoonie and Tommy travelled the globe to at least be ready or have the papers to sign on the 29 march,like FCKU have they,Boris was too busy bonking,dyson left for asia,farage to busy in brussels,mr spoonie to drunk to negotiate,tommy to busy filling the missus in,  whoops sorry i did see boris on TV at a function to promote trade in Lagos,perhaps we will reap the rewards of the deal on the 29th march,tariff free bananas who needs Nissan???? 

Are you just making all this up ?

Are you privy to the negotiations and are you aware of how they are progressing ?

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Some E.U laws

maybe the leave campaign should of told the voters this,but all we got was everyone will be fighting to sign deals,as we know there are none lined up to be signed on the 29th march and nothing in the pipeline,no wonder Nissan and CO are pulling their hair out

Just now, bomber said:

maybe the leave campaign should of told the voters this,but all we got was everyone will be fighting to sign deals,as we know there are none lined up to be signed on the 29th march and nothing in the pipeline,no wonder Nissan and CO are pulling their hair out

Once again , are you just making this up , or does you claim have any basis in anything factual?

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Are you just making all this up ?

Are you privy to the negotiations and are you aware of how they are progressing ?

iam not aware of any other than the chile wine deal,perhaps you know of some that you can show us, but please no little 2p happney wine and banana worthless rubbish that wont create 1 UK job

24 minutes ago, damascase said:

You are right.

But you do not need to explain that to me. The problem and average negotiation period of 5-7 years for FTAs are known to me.

I think your answer is addressed to someone else.

Just now, sanemax said:

Once again , are you just making this up , or does you claim have any basis in anything factual?

iam waiting for you to show me the deals,iam saying there are none you have to prove me wrong,so come on lets see them for gods sake

Just now, bomber said:

iam not aware of any other than the chile wine deal,perhaps you know of some that you can show us, but please no little 2p happney wine and banana worthless rubbish that wont create 1 UK job

Yes, just because you are unaware of any deals in the pipeline , that doesnt mean that none exist .

Is Mrs May personally keeping you informed of the negotiations and how they are progressing ?

Or are you of the opinion that , if you dont know about something, then, it cannot exist ?

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

farage and bojo stood in front of the camera's and claimed 100s of times that countries would be thrilled to sign trade deals, are you saying they didnt make these claims

Archived