Convert Retirement Visa to Family Visa @Jomtien?

I've been in Pattaya on a Retirement visa for a few years. 

I am considering changing to a Family visa -- Primarily to pull out half of the 800k Thai Baht we keep parked in the proof of funds account. 

Has anyone done this at Jomtien Immigration?

Do we have to apply in the States or can it be done here in Thailand?

Would we be advised to use a Lawyer // Visa service?

(We are married in the States - Would 1st have to register our marriage here at City Hall. We already have the translation - certification docs from the Bangkok office).

Regards -  

I changed from retirement extension to marriage extension in Jomtien 2 years ago, in theory no problems at all.

Just make sure to be aware of all the additional hassle - not only the need to have annually updated marriage papers from Banglamung Amphoe, but also the 30d wait period, the home visit during the first issue of the marriage extension and the need for a witness (living near your house and having their name registered in a local blue book), and the witness having to come with you to Jomtien for an interview every year when you file the paperwork

I have done it for ease of work permit application, but will definitely go back to retirement once not needing the WP anymore, additional hassle is just too big.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I changed from a retire extension to a married extension at Jomtien recently, lots of documents but still not that hard. I think the translation/certification documents would be enough. Better to enquire directly. (i got the impression they were making it up as they went along, adding documents at their whim, Chanote etc)

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

You change the reason for your extension of stay (is not a visa) from retirement to marriage near the end of your current extension at immigration.

You will need to register your foreign marriage at an Amphoe to obtain a Kor Ror 22 marriage registry. You will need more than a translation of you marriage certificate certified by the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA. You will need to do a self certification of your marriage certificate at the US embassy then have it translated and certified.

Info for doing a affidavit to certify it is here on embassy website. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/authentication-vital-records/

6 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

I changed from retirement extension to marriage extension in Jomtien 2 years ago, in theory no problems at all.

Just make sure to be aware of all the additional hassle - not only the need to have annually updated marriage papers from Banglamung Amphoe, but also the 30d wait period, the home visit during the first issue of the marriage extension and the need for a witness (living near your house and having their name registered in a local blue book), and the witness having to come with you to Jomtien for an interview every year when you file the paperwork

I have done it for ease of work permit application, but will definitely go back to retirement once not needing the WP anymore, additional hassle is just too big.

I did the change a couple of months ago, I wasnt even aware of "annually updated marriage papers" and there was no requirement to show, only marrige cert etc. 

Is there an annual requirement to update marriage documents at local Amphoe ?

Just now, Peterw42 said:

Some immigration offices want a updated Kor Ror 2 from a Amphoe if married here or a Kor Ror 22 for a foreign marriage.

Easy for your wife to get it by showing her ID card, completing a application form and paying a fee of 20 baht.

• Thanks 1

I did the change a couple of months ago, I wasnt even aware of "annually updated marriage papers" and there was no requirement to show, only marrige cert etc. 
Yes, I was told that the Kor Ror 2 can not be older than 6 months, therefore clearly has to be updated annually (2 copies from Amphoe is 200 Baht), probably as proof that no divorce happened.

Also, unlike other immigration offices, witness papers (ID and blue book) are not sufficient, Jomtien requires the witness to come there and give a statement about the status of your marriage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Yes, I was told that the Kor Ror 2 can not be older than 6 months, therefore clearly has to be updated annually (2 copies from Amphoe is 200 Baht), probably as proof that no divorce happened.

Also, unlike other immigration offices, witness papers (ID and blue book) are not sufficient, Jomtien requires the witness to come there and give a statement about the status of your marriage.

Thanks, As I said, I get the impression its a moving target at counter 6, recently the updated Kor Ror 2 wasn't required (we knew nothing about it), the witness was someone on-site were you live (during the home visit). I really think they make it up as even during the process they changed the required documents. The OP will probably end up with different requirements. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks ... the witness was someone on-site were you live (during the home visit)....

Correct for the FIRST marriage extension. There are no more home visits from the 2nd renewal on that is why you have to bring the witness to Jomtien for an interview and signing.

Note: I heard that marriage extensions with joint children might not require the witness coming to Jomtien, but maybe somebody with knowledge of such a situation can answer that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Agree although some members don't like when you call Marriage extension a "hassle" - think they get offended some how

If you own your own condo it will far easier, but expect 2 or 3 trips as they ask for new pictures, etc. 

But if you rent, in addition to the above, they will start their "landlord documents" routine, which may involve making the landlord obtain "newer" copies of their documents from an amphoe.

16 minutes ago, Wallander4 said:

Agree although some members don't like when you call Marriage extension a "hassle" - think they get offended some how

Some offices make it more difficult. But some people exaggerate how much of a hassle they havehad or never have done one or are repeating what somebody else said and possibley embellishing it significantly.

I am on my 11th extension based upon marriage and can say it has never been all that difficult.

23 minutes ago, Wallander4 said:

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Some offices make it more difficult. But some people exaggerate how much of a hassle they havehad or never have done one or are repeating what somebody else said and possibley embellishing it significantly.

I am on my 11th extension based upon marriage and can say it has never been all that difficult.

I have been talking about the additional requirements (retirement vs marriage) as a hassle, but not the whole process. It is mainly

• need for a trip to the amphoe for the updated kor ror 2
  • need for the witness to come with you to immigration when you apply for the extension
  • 30d waiting period (which now mostly is 31 or 32 days as BKK seems to be slow)
  • need for an additional re-entry if you need to travel outside the country

These are the points why I want to go back to retirement once I don't need to worry anymore about work-permits. I live minutes from both Amphoe and Immigration, but if I could omit the additional trips, I would happily do so. Not even thinking about poeple who live hours from the offices and need to spend whole days for the extensions. 

I never talked about the whole process as being a hassle and more specifically, I have always praised Jomtien as being fast, efficient and not giving me any unnecessary headache. The opposite is true, I can not understand people using agents and lawyers here in Jomtien and pay huge amounts of money for something that can easily be done yourself. 

• 1 month later...

Children - Not marriage

Can anyone comment on the procedure 

Convert Retirement Visa to Family Visa @Jomtien? Not marriage,

Thai children only, I have full custody through Thai courts.

Edited by VYCM

8 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Convert Retirement Visa to Family Visa @Jomtien? Not marriage,

Thai children only, I have full custody through Thai courts.

About the same procedure if you are the legal father of your children and have custody. Best to ask Jomtien what the require for an extension based upon being the parent of Thai,

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income.

• Thanks 1