Wanna get 2,500 baht? Report a motorcyclist today!

webfact

Wanna get 2,500 baht? Report a motorcyclist today!

7pm.jpg

Sanook! News are so incensed that motorcyclists in Bangkok are still riding on the sidewalks of the capital that they have itemized for the public all the ways to report riders. 

And they said that doing so means you get half the fines - that could mean 2,500 baht for reporting both riding or just parking on pavements. 

Here's what to do:

First of all take a picture.

Then provide details in one of a number of ways:

Via LINE "Reward for informing" at ebn6703w

Tessakit (municipal authorities) on Facebook

Via email:  [email protected]

Call the tessakit on 02 465 6644 or on 1555

use snail mail: 1, Tessaban Sai1, Wat Kanya, Thonburi 10600

or go to one of 50 tessakit offices

Provide all the details and get half of the maximum 5,000 baht fine for riding or parking on the sidewalk. 

Try it, get money and help eradicate motorcyclist on the sidewalk, said the media. 

Thaivisa notes that reporting people in this way has resulted in money being given to the public for informing over about the last year. 

But Sanook issued the reminder after an incident involving a 16 year old female student who was injured in Lat Prao earlier this week.  

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-29

"Take a picture then we'll do something about it." 

I watch cops stand on the side of the road during rush hour - their job - directing traffic.  Enforcing traffic laws?  Not really.  Motorcyclists driving on the sidewalks, cars in driving on the shoulders, vehicles driving the wrong direction on the shoulders of the highway -- who cares?  Cops don't seem to.  So, no enforcement - no problem.  Drive how you wish.  The Citizen Snitch Patrol will take the place of law enforcement.

in the uk you can report crimes to a crimestoppers hotline and even receive financial compensation for your trouble. imagine if they had such an initiative here... i would be a very rich man the amount of law breaking i see every time i step outside my door

1 hour ago, Deli said:

It's not a crime, it's just outta desperation, as roads are too small and packed.

i don't mind, as long as they don't hit people, let them do.

Would agree if these guys actually had manners when they encroach on the sidewalks, and I think a lot of people are more pissed off about their self-righteous attitude than them actually riding on the sidewalks.

I confess that since living in Thailand I myself have adopted some of the outrageous manoeuvres that these guys do and I still wish the cops would crack down on the Thai driving behavior.

In a nutshell I don't agree with your post.

There are many motorbike taxi parking areas on sidewalks so as not to interfere with traffic. I'd be surprised if they were permanently evicted by any authority. I hope the injuries to the school girl were not too serious and that she recovers completely and soon. Now, where did I put that camera?

2 hours ago, Deli said:

It's not a crime, it's just outta desperation, as roads are too small and packed.

i don't mind, as long as they don't hit people, let them do.

Do you mind if someone shoots a gun in public "as long as they don't hit people"?

They tried this before but very few people actually got paid for their snitching because you dont get it until after the offender has paid the fine.  So many Thais just ignore the fines and nobody seems to care.  Back home the police would come knocking on your door if you had unpaid fines.  I guess thats difficult here because there is no "working" police force.

54 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

They tried this before but very few people actually got paid for their snitching because you dont get it until after the offender has paid the fine.  So many Thais just ignore the fines and nobody seems to care.  Back home the police would come knocking on your door if you had unpaid fines.  I guess thats difficult here because there is no "working" police force.

Where is back home? In the UK the police are either in a car or in an office, there is not much "working" going on there either.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Via LINE "Reward for informing" at ebn6703w

Having just added this character to my LINE, it doesn't look official at all.  It's a man standing on a dock with a baby in the background.  

He's probably now wondering why he is so popular all of a sudden.  

If this is true, I can make a small fortune just setting up a table on the sidewalk where I live.  I can quit my job!

Can I get any money for reporting people who drive while they look at their mobile phones?

I see them all the time when I ride with my motorcycle near the cars.

I should be able to take 10 pictures per hour. 2,500B for each of them that sounds like a decent income.

Where can I report them?

9 hours ago, shackleton said:

when they find out who reported them if a Farang 

might need a Go fund me  for the hospital bills 

One has to wonder how much care safeguarding the personal information of the reporter will be provided. Just one fail and this program will go in the books as being very poorly thought out.

8 hours ago, connda said:

"Take a picture then we'll do something about it." 

I watch cops stand on the side of the road during rush hour - their job - directing traffic.  Enforcing traffic laws?  Not really.  Motorcyclists driving on the sidewalks, cars in driving on the shoulders, vehicles driving the wrong direction on the shoulders of the highway -- who cares?  Cops don't seem to.  So, no enforcement - no problem.  Drive how you wish.  The Citizen Snitch Patrol will take the place of law enforcement.

Why would they. They do it themselves.

34 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

There's also b__ger-all pavement riding.

Is that right? In Glasgow city centre the cyclists go faster on the pavements than motorbikes in Bangkok, and you don't hear them if they are coming from behind you, I knocked one of them of his bike with a parcel I was carrying, when I was in the UK three months ago.

I was not worried about any police as you never see them.

Handing more police work to the non policing police.  Police can’t be removed from the force, and they do virtually nothing-after 10 years here, I’m astounded nobody can make police do they their jobs.  It’s really kind of a sad joke 

1 hour ago, Redline said:

Handing more police work to the non policing police.  Police can’t be removed from the force, and they do virtually nothing-after 10 years here, I’m astounded nobody can make police do they their jobs.  It’s really kind of a sad joke 

I've never seen an RTP job description document. Even if I had, it would have been in Thai, which I cannot read. So I went looking and found this:

AseanPol - Royal Thai Police [link] (apparently a Malaysian document)

"The primary responsibility for the maintenance of public order through enforcement of the Kingdom’s law is exercised by the Royal Thai Police  (RTP), under control of Office of the Prime Minister. "

It's the ASEAN's view, apparently.

15 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

And who lives on the registered address?

16 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

That's what i thought...

I wondered why nobody spent a whole day and showed them 200 pictures/movies with evidence....it would pay 200x2.500 baht = 500.000 baht in a day.....next day you hang the camera on another busy trottoir and do it all over again.

This story makes the police even more ridiculous....

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Is that right? In Glasgow city centre the cyclists go faster on the pavements than motorbikes in Bangkok, and you don't hear them if they are coming from behind you, I knocked one of them of his bike with a parcel I was carrying, when I was in the UK three months ago.

I was not worried about any police as you never see them.

I once walked out onto the pavement from my local dining spot, enjoying my deep fried Mars Bar and nearly hit a guy sprinting along past me, I'd swear he was running faster than most cyclists. Turns out it was just 5 minutes to closing time at the pub. Heck I reckon all exercising especially jogging and speedwalking should be banned from pavements. 

Archived