BANGKOK 23 May 2019 09:40
webfact

Netizens disagree with official numbers: The miracle 20% rise in tourist numbers [Opinion]

Netizens disagree with official numbers: The miracle 20% rise in tourist numbers

By The Thaiger

5efc63b0-9ad4-11e8-9a20-262028f49e8a_ima

A story from The Thaiger yesterday stirred up a lot of suspicion that the Ministry of Sports and Tourism are being ‘flexible’ with the truth.

The story quoted the Sports and Tourism Minister saying that, since they introduced the visa-on-arrival fee waiver (for 21 countries), the numbers of arrivals has surged 20%. He said in his quotes that the ‘bounce’ came mostly from Chinese and Indian tourists.

But some of our readers didn’t go along with the PR spin out of the Minister’s office. Here’s a few of the responses (we’ve corrected a few spelling and grammar errors)…

Totally bulshyt! I am 9 years in Thailand  I didn’t see so less tourists like this year – GZ

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/netizens-disagree-with-official-numbers-the-miracle-20-rise-in-tourist-numbers

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-11-30

I suppose the people spouting the figures are in danger of losing their jobs.

After all , I keep reading how many millions of baht are spent promoting tourism and if they are not coming a scape goat has to be found.

• Like 2