Creating a Canopy

I want to create a canopy for shade. I stay in Isaan.

I am thinking mango trees. I think they grow to about 20m high and 20 width, right?

What you think. Would a different tree be better?

It is not for sitting under. The purpose is to do something with a rogue, wild piece of land up the back of my garden. Tired of cutting grass.

I figure a canopy providing shade will help keep a lot of the weeds away and do something useful with the land.

Am I wrong?

Anyone with experience have a different approach?

I understand it will take time for them to grow

I am suggesting planting a combination of slow and quick growing trees, which of course requires a little maintenance, removing/pruning back the fast growers as time goes by. Bamboo comes to mind, always a useful building material, it would be a pity to plant fruit trees only to have your neighbour eat all the fruit.

Eucalyptus + teak?

29 minutes ago, cooked said:

I am suggesting planting a combination of slow and quick growing trees, which of course requires a little maintenance, removing/pruning back the fast growers as time goes by. Bamboo comes to mind, always a useful building material, it would be a pity to plant fruit trees only to have your neighbour eat all the fruit.

Eucalyptus + teak?

Thanks for you suggestion.  Do you think these would do a good job of keeping the weeds n long grass down?

17 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Thanks for you suggestion.  Do you think these would do a good job of keeping the weeds n long grass down?

Only partially. Betel nut palms and a few other palms absorb all the water available around their foot, growth of other plants is restricted. Whether the grass grows quickly or slowly however, it will need cutting back at least twice a year.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, cooked said:

Only partially. Betel nut palms and a few other palms absorb all the water available around their foot, growth of other plants is restricted. Whether the grass grows quickly or slowly however, it will need cutting back at least twice a year.

Good luck.

Thanks!

Archived