anybody been to nakhon si thammarat? is it nice?

yogavnture

I usually fly to krabi on my way to samui area. for a week.   has anyone been to nakhon si thammarat?  I assume thier is town near airport . how close is that to the beach?  I like to do beach running on flat beaches. do any westerners go to this area?  will I find any massage thier. and how about any decent veggie restaurants?  im skeptical this area will be able to compete with krabi regarding western services

I've visited, but it's been a few years since I last passed through.

Nakhon Si Thammarat is the provincial capital, a moderate sized town with an ancient history, though there's little left of the historical city, just a bit of the north wall and gate, plus Wat Phra Mahathat. It was once the trading port of Ligor, but the port and coast has long silted up. There are beaches to the north, but it's about 80km to Khanom, which is the nearest beach that passes for a resort. Wet season is end September through to New Year, dry season is from New Year to end of March. Nicest time to visit is around February.

'Veggie restaurants' - I have no idea, it's predominantly Thai restaurants, I didn't see any western restaurants, but then I wasn't looking.

It's worth a trip, but it'll probably only hold your interest for a couple of days - NST isn't Krabi.

2 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I've visited, but it's been a few years since I last passed through.

Nakhon Si Thammarat is the provincial capital, a moderate sized town with an ancient history, though there's little left of the historical city, just a bit of the north wall and gate, plus Wat Phra Mahathat. It was once the trading port of Ligor, but the port and coast has long silted up. There are beaches to the north, but it's about 80km to Khanom, which is the nearest beach that passes for a resort. Wet season is end September through to New Year, dry season is from New Year to end of March. Nicest time to visit is around February.

'Veggie restaurants' - I have no idea, it's predominantly Thai restaurants, I didn't see any western restaurants, but then I wasn't looking.

It's worth a trip, but it'll probably only hold your interest for a couple of days - NST isn't Krabi.

I have a friend that permananently lives in kranom. he says he will pick me up at airport and come to see him for a few days. I might do it

3 hours ago, BurgerGung said:

Look for the yellow signs with something resembling the # 17 in red - am a Vegetarian, too and found great places wherever I go. 

Greetings from Hat 'Yai.

im debating staying in nakhon thammarat. for a week. just go to a gym get some massages .  or go to khanom beach area. so I can run on beach their. have u been to these two places?  I assume khanom beach area has some good massage places and food ?

I have been all along the coast of NST, it’s nice way before Khanmon. Around Sichon there is a westerners restaurant right overlooking the beach, a couple of nice resorts on a long deserted beach, a homestay, however, I don’t know, but it may not be your thing, it’s seriously quiet.

The beaches all around khanom are filled at the weekends with locals, more like a park than a beach. You can go and see the pink dolphins on a boat trip.

I’d go and spend time with your buddy in khanom and explore rather than spend time in NST town.

Take a look through google there seems to be a lot of blogs now, I was looking for one particular blog, a couple of backpackers hunted out all the beaches, it was good but looks like it’s vanished.. This was as close as I could find.

https://pleasenotanothertravelblog.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/khanom-beaches-and-sichon-beaches/

On 12/5/2018 at 8:22 AM, CGW said:

Just keep driving, very little there & thats being polite ???? 

Apparently, it is also the murder capital of Thailand.  My wife used to live there and it certainly sounds as if there was quite a bit of violent activity when she lived there, although she was not the cause of it (or so she says).  :sleep:

On 12/5/2018 at 4:42 AM, yogavnture said:

im debating staying in nakhon thammarat. for a week. just go to a gym get some massages .  or go to khanom beach area. so I can run on beach their. have u been to these two places?  I assume khanom beach area has some good massage places and food ?

Very nice beach at khanom, enough restaurants to keep you happy. Note that the actual town is about 5k inland,decent market etc there.

NKT is a good base for exploring nearby waterfalls and beaches but in itself is fairly ordinary , you would get bored after a couple of days I think.

I have a freind that lives in khanom (sp) .  yes I like quiet. I usually go to krabi. but starting to get tired of krabi..  I do beach running and krabi has decent beach for running up at the tourist area..............i heard the beaches at khanom are long and flat . maybe good for running?  not sure if I can get any massage thier or not

• 2 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 4:38 PM, songhklasid said:

Been to sichon pretty quiet beach area, good seafood, a question , has khanom got good seafood restaurants ? Interested ,planning a trip south soon, haven’t been to khanom .

await replies, thankyou 

regards SS.

i have a freind that lives in khanom.  its worth a look for sure

Archived