Which documents to bring to Rev. office get tax id.

JH1967

My bank in Europe has requested some information from me. One of things they want from me is my Thai tax ID - which i havent bothered about as i have no income in Thailand (apart from a few thousand baht of interest from my bank account).

So now I will have go to the Jomtien Revenue Office to get a tax id, but before I collect and photocopy everything imaginable, I would like to hear from someone who recently obtained a tax id, which documents i need to bring to the Revenue office (and how many copies?) in order to obtain a tax id.

Is Passport and a Certificate of Residence enough or do they request additional info.

Thanks

The only reason to get a Thailand Tax ID is when you are legally working in Thailand or wish to reclaim tax on Thai savings etc.

If a Bank in Europe request this info, your response is that you do not work in Thailand and that the Thailand authorities do not issue Tax ID to retirees etc. That is generally sufficient.

Thank you for your replies.

My bank here in Thailand has withheld a few thousand baht in tax that I could reclaim, but i do not know if it is worth the hassle.

To Pdavies99: My bank in Europe has made it clear that they want this information or "end our relationship". I think it is easier for me to get a Tax id than finding another bank (not easily done from Thailand).

3 hours ago, JH1967 said:

Thank you for your replies.

My bank here in Thailand has withheld a few thousand baht in tax that I could reclaim, but i do not know if it is worth the hassle.

To Pdavies99: My bank in Europe has made it clear that they want this information or "end our relationship". I think it is easier for me to get a Tax id than finding another bank (not easily done from Thailand).

Up to you, but for myself and friends from UK, France, Germany etc they have not closed any accounts... it is just EU regulations.

Personally I have a Tax ID, from memory you need proof of address, ie a bill will suffice, photocopy of all pages (yes, all) of passport, two photos, and your bank details, then at the Tax Office (Jomtien, next to the Court offices) you complete an application etc. To get the tax back you need to ask your Thai bank for a tax certificate for each account (free), you can claim back if I remember correctly 3 years, then once the claim is made they will send you a cheque refund.  It is actually quite simple and the tax office are very helpful, they will complete the forms for you as well.  Easy as that!!

Archived