BANGKOK 24 January 2019 11:32
Kerryd

Certificate of Residence requirements - Jomtien Immigration Office

Yes it really is a strange one. Logically the address is the only thing which might generate some 'unofficial' income which cynically I would suggest is the reason that such a song and dance is made of it. I must get my third driving licence in Bangkok before I return to UK for the summer and last time I couldn't get passed the haridan on the enquiry desk in spite of my address not having changed. changing.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I struggle to see the logic of the DLT requiring you to get a certificate of residence from Immigration in order to prove your address to the DLT, when one of the address proofs that Immigration will accept for this is your old driving licence from the DLT.

Of course it doesn't make sense, but somewhere exists a rule which says for a driving license you need to have a certificate of residence (or house book or id card), so they just follow this rule

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

probably shouldn't have a permanent address to begin with

In the image that you posted it says "hotel certificate", so much regarding a "permanent" address 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I struggle to see the logic of the DLT requiring you to get a certificate of residence from Immigration in order to prove your address to the DLT, when one of the address proofs that Immigration will accept for this is your old driving licence from the DLT.

The DLT could just copy the address on the old license onto the new licence themselves thus completely bypassing Immigration. Duh.

A classic case of some for you and some for me. 🤣

1 hour ago, ExpatDraco said:

Since when do they ask for 1 year visa's?

Not old. I think since about mid-October this year.

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:
10 hours ago, ExpatDraco said:

Since when do they ask for 1 year visa's?

That would be tricky if you had to sell a vehicle after your one-year visa extension has expired and you want to sell up and leave because to sell a vehicle (to transfer ownership) you also require a residence certificate. A friend sold me a motorbike a few years back, and it was no problem for him to get a residence certificate with only a 30-day entry stamp. Perhaps they would make an exception for situations such as this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tropo said:

That would be tricky if you had to sell a vehicle ............................

33 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Someone at an Expats Club meeting announced yesterday that they had gone to Jomtiem for a residence certificate and had been asked what the purpose was. On informing them to purchase a vehicle was asked for proof of the purchase. 

The fact that the old DL was acceptable as proof of address infers that this post is about applying for a DL.

The rules for other purposes are not the same, so perhaps that's why they first ask what it is for?
For buying/selling vehicles they require proof.
For selling, I believe simply the Green/Blue Book in your name.
For buying, I think they want to see the Book in the seller's name plus a sales contract, so that might be more complicated.
The other stuff (Passport copies etc etc) is the same I believe.

Basically, whatever you want an RC for, they want proof.

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The DLT could just copy the address on the old license onto the new licence themselves thus completely bypassing Immigration. Duh.

You must be a newby here? Logic in dealing with the Thai bureaucracy????? HaHaHaHaHaHa

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tropo said:

That would be tricky if you had to sell a vehicle after your one-year visa extension has expired and you want to sell up and leave because to sell a vehicle (to transfer ownership) you also require a residence certificate.

I thought that you only needed the residence certificate to buy, not to sell.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ExpatDraco said:
12 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Maybe the copy shop outside can provide them also... 😉

An office in Soi Post Office can get them for 500B. In English too, if required. (Those can be useful for proving an address for foreign banks.)

One that I saw recently looked authentic though I have no idea whether it really was or not.

Got 2 resident certs a week ago on a tourist stamp (visa exempt 30day)

at jomtien imma. no problems

Edited by mha noi