Certificate of Residence requirements - Jomtien Immigration Office

Yes it really is a strange one. Logically the address is the only thing which might generate some 'unofficial' income which cynically I would suggest is the reason that such a song and dance is made of it. I must get my third driving licence in Bangkok before I return to UK for the summer and last time I couldn't get passed the haridan on the enquiry desk in spite of my address not having changed. changing.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I struggle to see the logic of the DLT requiring you to get a certificate of residence from Immigration in order to prove your address to the DLT, when one of the address proofs that Immigration will accept for this is your old driving licence from the DLT.

Of course it doesn't make sense, but somewhere exists a rule which says for a driving license you need to have a certificate of residence (or house book or id card), so they just follow this rule

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

probably shouldn't have a permanent address to begin with

In the image that you posted it says "hotel certificate", so much regarding a "permanent" address ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I struggle to see the logic of the DLT requiring you to get a certificate of residence from Immigration in order to prove your address to the DLT, when one of the address proofs that Immigration will accept for this is your old driving licence from the DLT.

The DLT could just copy the address on the old license onto the new licence themselves thus completely bypassing Immigration. Duh.

A classic case of some for you and some for me. ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:
10 hours ago, ExpatDraco said:

Since when do they ask for 1 year visa's?

Not old. I think since about mid-October this year.

That would be tricky if you had to sell a vehicle after your one-year visa extension has expired and you want to sell up and leave because to sell a vehicle (to transfer ownership) you also require a residence certificate. A friend sold me a motorbike a few years back, and it was no problem for him to get a residence certificate with only a 30-day entry stamp. Perhaps they would make an exception for situations such as this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tropo said:

That would be tricky if you had to sell a vehicle ............................

33 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Someone at an Expats Club meeting announced yesterday that they had gone to Jomtiem for a residence certificate and had been asked what the purpose was. On informing them to purchase a vehicle was asked for proof of the purchase. 

The fact that the old DL was acceptable as proof of address infers that this post is about applying for a DL.

The rules for other purposes are not the same, so perhaps that's why they first ask what it is for?
For buying/selling vehicles they require proof.
For selling, I believe simply the Green/Blue Book in your name.
For buying, I think they want to see the Book in the seller's name plus a sales contract, so that might be more complicated.
The other stuff (Passport copies etc etc) is the same I believe.

Basically, whatever you want an RC for, they want proof.

16 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The DLT could just copy the address on the old license onto the new licence themselves thus completely bypassing Immigration. Duh.

You must be a newby here? Logic in dealing with the Thai bureaucracy????? HaHaHaHaHaHa

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tropo said:

That would be tricky if you had to sell a vehicle after your one-year visa extension has expired and you want to sell up and leave because to sell a vehicle (to transfer ownership) you also require a residence certificate.

I thought that you only needed the residence certificate to buy, not to sell.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ExpatDraco said:
12 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:
Not old. I think since about mid-October this year.

Maybe the copy shop outside can provide them also... ????

An office in Soi Post Office can get them for 500B. In English too, if required. (Those can be useful for proving an address for foreign banks.)

One that I saw recently looked authentic though I have no idea whether it really was or not.

As it was pretty busy (being a Friday afternoon), I didn't even attempt to ask anyone if they still give out the certificates to people on 30 Day stamps or Tourist Visas. The answer would probably be a flat "No" as (I'm guessing) their reasoning would be that anyone here on a 30 Day stamp or Tourist Visa probably shouldn't have a permanent address to begin with - as you are supposed to be a "tourist" - not a semi-permanent resident.

My mate and his wife own the house opposite mine. They live in the UK and come here for a month each year for a holiday. He comes on a 30 day stamp each year so, yes, a 'tourist' can have their own a permanent residence and he can obtain a residence certificate while here.

But, you do need a non O visa/extension to apply for a driving licence. From memory, on a residence application form, you must state your reason for wanting the certificate. eg: You can buy a car on a tourist visa but no longer obtain a driving licence on a TV/30 day stamp. Unless the rules have changed recently, if you only have a 90-day visa you can only apply for a two-year temporary licence, even if it's a renewal. To obtain/renew a five-year licence you must have a one-year visa/ one-year extension, minimum.

As you were applying for a DL I assume they wanted your passport details to confirm you qualified for the residence certificate. 

As for the address details on your old licence, many people move during the lifetime of their licence but very few get their licence updated, so that can't be relied upon for (recent) proof of address.

• Like 1

I never actually told them why I wanted the Certificate when I first arrived. I simply asked for a ticket for "Desk 9" and the IO asked if I had a "1 year Visa".

I had to go back to him to get a blank application (I thought they'd have them at desk 9 for some silly reason) and he asked me again (it was busy as I mentioned). When I said yes he gave me the application and the slip of paper.

While I was filling it out I noticed, near the bottom, was box to tick off if you were trying to get a Driver's License and a blank line for "other reason".

(They used to have 4 boxes on the form, one for opening a bank account, one if buying a motorcycle, one if buying a car and the fourth was for if you were trying to get a driver's license. Now it's just "Driver's license" or "other" it seems.)

So maybe if you ask for "Desk 9" and you don't have a "1 year visa' they may ask why you want a Certificate before giving you the application ?

The main reason I posted this was to counter all the posts from people claiming that Immigration wasn't issuing Residency Certificates anymore. As I mentioned, obviously they are, but the requirements may be changing (for whatever reason). Hard to say without someone actually sitting down with the Chief and having a chat with him.

• Like 1

" I didn't even attempt to ask anyone if they still give out the certificates to people on 30 Day stamps or Tourist Visas"

yes they do, so a lot of incorrect guesses here. I got one 5 days ago at Jomtien on a tourist visa, to renew my bike licence. I have rented the same place for 9 years, spend five months a year here on holidays. I took my original lease and recent receipts with me but no questions asked. DLT will only give you a two year renewal on a TR even if you already have a 5 year licence and you cannot renew earlier than the expiry date. 

• Like 1

It is correct that you need to show "why you need a residence certificate " ,  even selling a vehicle as I have just done so and you need copy of Bill of Sale .   As far as I am concerned it's good news that they are tightening up the system and giving appropriate documents out for appropriate purposes !!  

47 minutes ago, Chrisswe said:

FOR WHAT , you gain anything from this certificate !????

Have you actually bothered to read the thread - or others similar?

Without it, unless possibly you have a WP, you won't be able to apply for (or renew) a driving licence at Pattaya DLT or buy/sell a vehicle. 

1 hour ago, topt said:

Have you actually bothered to read the thread - or others similar?

Without it, unless possibly you have a WP, you won't be able to apply for (or renew) a driving licence at Pattaya DLT or buy/sell a vehicle. 

Or open a bank account. A bank account is pretty necessary if you want to buy a condo, for example. And also necessary if you want to deposit money to support a visa extension application.

49 minutes ago, mha noi said:

Just the standard admin fee,nothing fishy.

Residence certificates are free. There is no "admin fee". Some Immigration offices do attempt to rip people off for an entirely unofficial fee, and the amount is not standard and varies from one office to another. Some charge nothing, some seem to want anything between 200 and 500B.

One thing is for sure: you will never get a receipt for any money handed over for a residence certificate, unlike every proper fee at Immigration for which you always get a receipt.

Residence certificates are free. There is no "admin fee". Some Immigration offices do attempt to rip people off for an entirely unofficial fee, and the amount is not standard and varies from one office to another. Some charge nothing, some seem to want anything between 200 and 500B.

One thing is for sure: you will never get a receipt for any money handed over for a residence certificate, unlike every proper fee at Immigration for which you always get a receipt.
Would you suggest refusing to pay the "admin fee " ?
I recall paying 100 baht at Jomtien about a year ago , for d/l purposes.

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

I renewed my 5 year license, went to DLT, I have House Yellow Book and Thai ID card.

They looked at everything, then the girl called a supervisor to look at everything. They had a small list with requirement listed, this stated Certificate Of Residence, therefore they insisted on certificate in spite of me having various proof of address etc.

it seems that no one at DLT has been advised that a Yellow Book, ID or previous license is equivalent to a Certificate of Residence. 

All extremeley daft and annoying ( especially finding this out after riding all the way to the DLT ! ) 

As I have posted before, if you THINK something might be needed, then take that with you ! 

5 minutes ago, anfh said:

I renewed my 5 year license, went to DLT, I have House Yellow Book and Thai ID card.

They looked at everything, then the girl called a supervisor to look at everything. They had a small list with requirement listed, this stated Certificate Of Residence, therefore they insisted on certificate in spite of me having various proof of address etc.

it seems that no one at DLT has been advised that a Yellow Book, ID or previous license is equivalent to a Certificate of Residence. 

All extremeley daft and annoying ( especially finding this out after riding all the way to the DLT ! ) 

As I have posted before, if you THINK something might be needed, then take that with you ! 

That's only at Pattaya DLT though.

23 hours ago, KittenKong said:

But then Immigration wouldn't have that 300 bt and all those lovely copies, which they love so much!!