BARF dog raw meat feeding, what kind of meat do you buy at MAKRO ?

pehice

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:04 PM, neeray said:

As stated before, my very healthy 13 year old is on raw meat diet, predominantly ground chicken or turkey. As a "filler", I include some cooked carrots and potatoes, sometimes some greens like Brussels sprouts or broccoli, but mostly carrots. This may address your reduction of protein question.

Here's a typical meal, two times per day. Raw turkey or chicken, carrots, hard boiled egg (or usually half per meal), broccoli. Often boiled potatoes substituted.

image1 (93).jpeg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/27/2019 at 12:04 PM, grollies said:

One way for them to get veg nutrients is to make a vegetable stock soup. Mix with scrap rice. My dogs won't touch boiled veg or fruit....except coconut flesh which they love.

Can't thank you enough for this post as my smaller dog eats slowly and carefully around any veg. in her food, even though I'd chopped it up into tiny pieces....

Taking your advice, I add more water and blend the veg. mixture - then mix it with minced beef or lamb (along with other components of their morning meal), and it works!

On 1/28/2019 at 10:05 AM, wildewillie89 said:

If the vet said it isn't something to worry about then I probably wouldn't worry about it (number doesn't seem too high to the vet). The vet is probably looking at the dog from an age point of view (older dogs/possible renal issues around the corner).

Yes, a high BUN isn't perfect, but if you take protein out of the diet then it can lead to other things like reduced glomerular filtration rate (GFR) - so less protein means less blood being filtered through so more toxins staying, and reduced renal plasma flow. 

I think the old thinking was that high protein does have a negative impact on kidneys as studies show that, however, the studies were done on rats, not dogs. As dogs do eat high protein diets, newer (but small) studies have found high protein diets do not cause actual harm, just slightly elevate the BUN - as is the case with your dog.

I am obviously no vet but if I was to have a guess, that is possibly where the vet is coming from. Phosphorus levels okay?

Yes, I suspect the vet was taking her age into consideration.  I can't see that any phosphorus level test was done. :sad:

Incidentally, her allergy problems cropped up again a couple of weeks ago - and I came down with some 'bug' a week ago, and couldn't 'deal' with chopping up mackerel  ????.  Bearing in mind they get plenty of protein from their mostly raw meat diet, do you think it's ok to substitute the chopped up mackerel for fish oil capsules?

7 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Can't thank you enough for this post as my smaller dog eats slowly and carefully around any veg. in her food, even though I'd chopped it up into tiny pieces....

Taking your advice, I add more water and blend the veg. mixture - then mix it with minced beef or lamb (along with other components of their morning meal), and it works!

Nice one, glad she's eating well. Watch out for the farts though!

On 2/2/2019 at 1:27 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Yes, I suspect the vet was taking her age into consideration.  I can't see that any phosphorus level test was done. :sad:

Incidentally, her allergy problems cropped up again a couple of weeks ago - and I came down with some 'bug' a week ago, and couldn't 'deal' with chopping up mackerel  ????.  Bearing in mind they get plenty of protein from their mostly raw meat diet, do you think it's ok to substitute the chopped up mackerel for fish oil capsules?

Fish will always be the better option. Although you can get the same amount of omega 3 from the capsules, there are always extra minerals and vitamins that are easier processed by eating real fish. However, obviously you cannot at the moment so the capsules are much better than not giving anything,

Older dogs need higher quality protein than younger dogs in general. Another reason the vet probably said not to worry. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, myshem said:

hello, how do you break chicken carcass ? is there a cheap machine available or do you do it SOMTAM style ?

thanks.

I give them whole and frozen,gives them something to do and cools them a little.Good work out for teth and jaw.We have a small pomeranian also and she eats it no problem.

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2019 at 7:37 AM, jvs said:

I give them whole and frozen,gives them something to do and cools them a little.Good work out for teth and jaw.We have a small pomeranian also and she eats it no problem.

But the problem is that if you give them the carcass only they do not eat vegetables ?

I am trying to find a solution to break/mash the carcass:

10 hours ago, myjawe said:

But the problem is that if you give them the carcass only they do not eat vegetables ?

I am trying to find a solution to break/mash the carcass:

Dogs have teeth.let them do the works give ha carcass frozen.

My dog eats mostly better than us hoomans.
I use these 1KG meat slabsShotType1_225x225.jpg as a de facto staples for breakfast (easy to calculate his intake when you cut the slab into pieces containing average amount needed per day). 
I then give it to him sometimes frozen, sometimes cooked with mixed with veggies, rice (when over abundance of it), potatoes etc - then on top of that varying chicken carcasses, meaty bones from local markets, couple whole chicken legs (frozen) after heavy work out - and fish (or fish oil) + zinc + some vitamine additions in the mix, if see the skin/fur is getting overly dry / losing hair / overly greasy.

Try to make him eat as variedly as we humans do, but keep the meat and fat contents as stable as possible, as he has an issue gaining weight over muscle. 

image.png.9b69a416e3f24aefa55796c286abf383.png

On 6/20/2019 at 3:09 AM, jabis said:

My dog eats mostly better than us hoomans.
I use these 1KG meat slabsShotType1_225x225.jpg as a de facto staples for breakfast (easy to calculate his intake when you cut the slab into pieces containing average amount needed per day). 
I then give it to him sometimes frozen, sometimes cooked with mixed with veggies, rice (when over abundance of it), potatoes etc - then on top of that varying chicken carcasses, meaty bones from local markets, couple whole chicken legs (frozen) after heavy work out - and fish (or fish oil) + zinc + some vitamine additions in the mix, if see the skin/fur is getting overly dry / losing hair / overly greasy.

Try to make him eat as variedly as we humans do, but keep the meat and fat contents as stable as possible, as he has an issue gaining weight over muscle. 

image.png.9b69a416e3f24aefa55796c286abf383.png

How can you believe that the food that you give to your dog is good when it has only 10% protein ? So weird...

On 6/25/2019 at 11:35 AM, myjawe said:

How can you believe that the food that you give to your dog is good when it has only 10% protein ? So weird...

Que? 10% protein, where did you get that?
EDIT: Ah seems you think he doesn't eat the rest of the day ???? I only mentioned breakfast in my post, rest is pure meat, be it pork, beef or poultry not exceeding 400g per day, as we calculated with the vet that any more just results in him getting fatter, as there are no more hours left in the day to burn all that ????

Archived