British pensioner finds Thai boyfriend dead in smoke filled SUV in the drive

rooster59

British pensioner finds Thai boyfriend dead in smoke filled SUV in the drive

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUxOS83NTk1MTM0LzEyLmpwZw==.jpg

Image: Sanook

Doi Saket police, forensics and medical personnel went to a house in Cherng Doi, Doi Suket, Chiang Mai yesterday after a call from a British man. 

Barry Charles Atkinson, 74, said that the man sitting dead in a Honda CR-V was his boyfriend Wongsakorn, aged 39. 

Wongsakorn was wrapped in a blanket and dressed in t-shirt and shorts. There was a strong smell that something had been burning. 

There was a lighter in the SUV. And there was a flowerpot with the remains of paper and ashes from charcoal. 

There was no sign of a struggle having occurred. 

Mr Atkinson said that on Thursday morning he had argued with his boyfriend who had driven away in the car. He had not come back and calls to his phone went unanswered. 

Wongsakorn came back on Friday morning. But by late morning Wongsakorn was not around and Mr Atkinson went to the car in the drive to find him and found it full of smoke with his boyfriend sitting in the back seat. 

He tried to alert him by hitting the window but there was no response so he got the spare key. 

When he opened the vehicle he realized that Wongsakorn was dead and called the police.

Police believe it was a case of suicide but have called for an autopsy and will interview all people connected to the couple to complete their report.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-01

If my Thai boyfriend was in the back seat of a car filling with smoke I would have grabbed the first brick I could lay hands on and smash the window without fumbling for a spare key.  I am so sorry to hear of this but I would have ripped the door from the car to get my friend out.

I am sorry for my outburst.  I guess it was too late and he probably saw this.

If my Thai boyfriend was in the back seat of a car filling with smoke I would have grabbed the first brick I could lay hands on and smash the window without fumbling for a spare key.  I am so sorry to hear of this but I would have ripped the door from the car to get my friend out.

Yes, I have spare bricks laying around everywhere...

Charcoal burning is an unusual method of suicide. Not many would be aware of this way of absorbing carbon monoxide.

Is it not possible it could be an accident?  Perhaps he decided to sleep in the car instead of going inside after the argument, became cold and thought a heater was a good idea. It did state he was wrapped in a blanket so he could have been feeling the cold.

Just a theory, feel free to disagree or deride my thoughts.

20 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Charcoal burning is an unusual method of suicide. Not many would be aware of this way of absorbing carbon monoxide.

Is it not possible it could be an accident?  Perhaps he decided to sleep in the car instead of going inside after the argument, became cold and thought a heater was a good idea. It did state he was wrapped in a blanket so he could have been feeling the cold.

This is actually the second case of this kind here in recent weeks. Burning charcoal in an enclosed space appears to be a effective and inexpensive way of exiting this world - and without leaving a horrible mess for others to clean up.

Sad, though, that someone so young should throw their life away over a spat with a loved one. One feels for this young man's partner, who will doubtless be haunted by guilt.

2 hours ago, billmichael said:

It would be quicker to go and get the key , rather than going looking for a brick .

It would be more heroic using a brick , but better to use a key

29 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It would be quicker to go and get the key , rather than going looking for a brick .

It would be more heroic using a brick , but better to use a key

A brick impacting the deceased would of complicated the autopsy. The key was the right way to go.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Actually, this is common knowledge here in Thailand and one of the preferred methods.

4 hours ago, AnnaBanana said:

What if this was the other way around and the affluent homeowner was Thai and the dead boyfriend was a farang?

The ThaiVisa Vigilantes would be out with their torches and pitchforks.

Yeah....what if. How cold is your blood?

5 hours ago, AnnaBanana said:

What if this was the other way around and the affluent homeowner was Thai and the dead boyfriend was a farang?

Well, it wasn't and they aren't. So you can put your crystal ball away.

8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

In Asia, charcoal burning is a common way to commit suicide. Less gore than flying ... 

5 hours ago, Ulic said:

Actually, this is common knowledge here in Thailand and one of the preferred methods.

Correct. Moreover items needed are common  as Thais bbq their food frequently. ..

from the internet.. Charcoal-burning suicides increased markedly in some East/Southeast Asian countries (Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, the Republic of Korea, and Singapore) in the first decade of the 21st century,

seems thailand is getting progressive towards developed country status in this context.

19 hours ago, billmichael said:

The "spare key" was probably Mr. Atkinson's personal key and he knew exactly where it was.  Probably just inside the door where most of us drop our "outside" stuff when we come home.  Quicker and more sure than finding a brick and discovering that tempered glass is more difficult to break than you think.

The "spare key" was probably Mr. Atkinson's personal key and he knew exactly where it was.  Probably just inside the door where most of us drop our "outside" stuff when we come home.  Quicker and more sure than finding a brick and discovering that tempered glass is more difficult to break than you think.

You don’t watch enough movies. There is almost always a brick laying right next to the car except when the 74 year old hero just punches the glass and it shatters...

22 hours ago, AnnaBanana said:

How right you are.

With very few exceptions the replies and knee-jerk reactions prove your point very well.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, billmichael said:

Where did it say that he "fumbled" for a spare key?   Perhaps he had one handy and he's not one of those people that have the odd brick laying around. 

The chances of your "ripping the door from the car" would be zero.

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Where did it say that he "fumbled" for a spare key?   Perhaps he had one handy and he's not one of those people that have the odd brick laying around. 

The chances of your "ripping the door from the car" would be zero.

please advise that the bloke was over 70 which i believe didnt have capability to pick a big brick

On 12/1/2018 at 1:06 PM, Old Croc said:

It is a very common method amongst the Chinese in Hong Kong.  A Scottish friend of mine (in HK) used that method (successfully) in his 30's.   It will most likely be the way I eventually check out too, unless an accident or something quick gets me first (hopefully not for at least 30 more years though!)

Found this interesting study on the rise of Charcoal burning as a method of suicide in HK and Taiwan - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2652925/

On 12/1/2018 at 12:10 AM, billmichael said:

The man is 74. Based upon some other photos that I have seen, I don't think he had the strength to break a window. Getting the car key which was close by was more appropriate than trying to break a window.

Archived