Hua Hin hospital finally to repay money to "fleeced" farang cancer sufferer, Damrongtham

rooster59

Hua Hin hospital finally to repay money to "fleeced" farang cancer sufferer, Damrongtham

77jowo_1542870913_6634.jpg

Image: 77Jowo

Thai media 77jowo reported that the Hua Hin Hospital and the Department of Public Heath have agreed to return more than 20,000 baht to a man from the Netherlands who said he was fleeced by the hospital because he was a foreigner. 

Back in September 2016 a man now known to be Erwin Buse complained to the government watchdog Damrongtham in Prajuab Khiri Khan that he had been obliged to pay 300 baht for each visit to the hospital and an unexplained 858 baht "admission fee". The former engineer was said at the time to be suffering from prostate cancer. 

He said he was being fleeced because he was a foreigner. By that time he had already been in Thailand ten years and had a Thai wife. 

But justice was slow in coming and visits to the hospital - that Mr Buse said were painful round trips of 200 kilometers on a motorcycle - got him nowhere as the hospital came up with excuse after excuse not to pay him. 

However, 77Jowo reported good news for Mr Buse on a recent visit to the Prajuab Damrongtham office. 

He was told by the office that he would be receiving 20,000 baht from Hua Hin Hospital and the Department of Public Health by the end of this month. They noted that his campaign for payment started in 2016. 

The Thai media reported that Mr Buse, from the Netherlands, was now suffering from intestinal cancer, has no job and looks after goats. 

His Thai wife runs a salon in Makham Khong, Koh Lak, they said. 

Source: 77Jowo

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-01

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Mr Buse for persisting despite his severe illness. I guess they were hoping that if they dragged their feet long enough, the poor Dutchman would “pop his clogs” before they were able to compensate him

. Disgraceful.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

he had been obliged to pay 300 baht for each visit to the hospital and an unexplained 858 baht "admission fee".

Could someone explain to me what's wrong with this? I and/or my insurance pay when I get medical treatment...

Sounds pretty normal for Thailand. No formalities accepting payment.... every formality and excuse under the sun returning money. 

Reminds me of trying to get a deposit back from 3BB, every day an new excuse and new timeline...  Or Lazada's "X days easy return - Change of Mind applicable" that their customer service staff have never heard of and deny exists despite it being on nearly all products sold detail page.. Or the last big BKK condo complex that asked if I minded a cheque next month or did I really need cash now.. 555

No doubt, like in all episodes were money is return they will make out like they doing you a massive favour and tut .. 

18 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

A lot of effort for such little money...

i guess it was principle....

For someone who has to ride 200km on a motorbike, and who relies on a Thai public hospital for his healthcare, and who has no job, I suspect that it represents a lot of money and has little to do with principle.

4 minutes ago, Knee Jerk Reaction said:

I suspect that it is the unexplained 858 baht 'admission fee' that he found unacceptable.

As indeed I would if that was "every" visit but that's unclear, and if indeed it was , why didnt he simply refuse to pay it, as the bill is usually given when each visit is completed. If he wasnt "admitted" then the bill is wrong and shouldnt have been paid to start with.

HH hospital has an "express line" that let's you avoid most of the waiting.

I used it once, I think it was 200 baht.

Seemed like a good deal to me.

Went in, got a little minor surgery and was on my way in under 2 hours.

Not sure about the other fee.

I'd assume you would pay something to see a doctor. I think my fee was something like 500 baht to the guy who did the surgery because he was a learner...intern I guess.

The silly part was I saw "big doctor" for the 5 minute follow-up and paid more.

I don't know this guys situation, like if he had coverage from his wife or other insurance company but I felt I had been very fairly treated.

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

As indeed I would if that was "every" visit but that's unclear, and if indeed it was , why didnt he simply refuse to pay it, as the bill is usually given when each visit is completed. If he wasnt "admitted" then the bill is wrong and shouldnt have been paid to start with.

The fact tbat he has been reimbursed 20000 baht points to something being amiss. Depending on his circumstances that might be a lot of money to him.

49 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The victim talking here: no, you are not allowed to see the bill in advance. It is either you pay or you are being threatened with police hassle and cancelation of your treatment. I need to have every 3 months check ups and every time they fleece you. It took the damrongtham 3,5 years to finally see no other option than convict the hospital of wrongfully billing. The ministry of public health (bangkok and Prachuap) did cover the hospital and I got no help from them. The damrongtham was in the end not able to proof that the billing was legitimate, they tried but failed.

And no it is not just 300baht. It is 300baht + 858 baht administration fee for a single visit. Sometimes the administration fee was near 2000baht. For nothing! How do you feel when you come out of day surgery and have tumors removed and face humiliation and need to start arguing with hospital and management staff about ridiculous items on the bill. And yes I got the police involved as well. Suddenly the overcharges where a computer mistake, signed by the manager of the hospital. It has been an exhausting time with so many lies, from management cost for foreigners to foreigner tax and than there was this vip clinic. Hopefully I can focus on my health from now on and may justice prevail. 

31 minutes ago, Psychic said:

HH hospital has an "express line" that let's you avoid most of the waiting.

I used it once, I think it was 200 baht.

Seemed like a good deal to me.

Went in, got a little minor surgery and was on my way in under 2 hours.

Not sure about the other fee.

I'd assume you would pay something to see a doctor. I think my fee was something like 500 baht to the guy who did the surgery because he was a learner...intern I guess.

The silly part was I saw "big doctor" for the 5 minute follow-up and paid more.

I don't know this guys situation, like if he had coverage from his wife or other insurance company but I felt I had been very fairly treated.

The hospital and the MOPH never came out with the official regulation of this so called "Express Clinic". There must be a reason (because there isn't any). The 200 baht that you pay in the little office down the hall will not be on your bill. The sad thing about this is that you skip the quene of 40-50 patient that are waiting in line. And yes than you are billed with extra charges but the bill isn't clear about the fact that you have been using the express clinic. I am pretty sure that this practise is violating the regulation as well. Remember this is a government non profit organisation and not some commercial clinic. Foreigners that are waiting in line are also billed extra (just not the 200). Later when you complain the hospital and the MOPH use this clinic as an excuse. 

21 minutes ago, TheDutchEngineer said:

The victim talking here: no, you are not allowed to see the bill in advance. It is either you pay or you are being threatened with police hassle and cancelation of your treatment. I need to have every 3 months check ups and every time they fleece you. It took the damrongtham 3,5 years to finally see no other option than convict the hospital of wrongfully billing. The ministry of public health (bangkom and Prachuap) did cover the hospital and I got no help from them. The damrongtham was in the end not able to proof that the billing was legitimate, they tried but failed.

And no it is not just 300baht. It is 300baht + 858 baht administration fee for a single visit. Sometimes the administration fee was near 2000baht. For nothing! How do you feel when you come out of day surgery and have tumors removed and face humiliation and need to start arguing with hospital and management staff about rediculous items on the bill. And yes I got the police involved as well. Suddenly the overcharges where a computer mistake, signed by the manager of the hospital. It has been an exhausting time. Hopefully I can focus on my health from now on and may justice prevail. 

What a nice change to hear from the horses mouth rather than complete speculation from.....ah, goats. 

I've been visiting the hospital, on a Saturday, for over ten years for quarterly check ups and didn't realise for a long time that there was this surcharge of 300 Baht for falangs, it's shown on your bill as 'nursing services'.

They don't always seem to deduct it and I understand that even the Thais have to pay 200 Baht themselves at weekends on top of their normal 30 Baht fee which covers all services.

I've been to the local government hospital twice.  The first time I paid 100 baht and that included the meds they sent me home with.  The second time I had a growth removed from my back, outpatient procedure, total cost was 750 baht.  So for a government hospital he is being way overcharged.

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

hardly call a 300 baht charge being "fleeced", yes it may have been incorrect but far from "fleeced"

Maybe you should read better before commenting. It is the additional thb. 858 unexplained fee on each visit that is perceived as fleecing... 

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Don't be such a wisenose. Or have you never heard of compassion? Wait till you are limited on funds and have cancer diagnosed. And be asked to pay amounts which seem unreasonable. In addition, as 20,000 Is going to be paid back, it is proven the amounts were wrongly billed

Thanks for the fight.   It's to bad so many think this pidly amount is not worth fighting for.  Thus the current conditions ( taxi scams, two tiered pricing, etc)  in Thailand are a big responsibility of these gents who have lived and visited Thailand for years and did nothing.     Yes I blame you guys  and your  inaction for the current conditions. 

OP, Congrats and hope your good health returns.  

2 hours ago, huainnews said:

I've been visiting the hospital, on a Saturday, for over ten years for quarterly check ups and didn't realise for a long time that there was this surcharge of 300 Baht for falangs, it's shown on your bill as 'nursing services'.

They don't always seem to deduct it and I understand that even the Thais have to pay 200 Baht themselves at weekends on top of their normal 30 Baht fee which covers all services.

Please explain quarterly check ups on a Saturday.

Sorry, I didn't read correctly. The surcharge is for weekend treatment. 

A 2 years hassle all for 20000 baht and also considering the doctors probably saved his life during his treatment.

He may have done more harm than good, because at Thai hospitals the word soon gets around and maybe next time won`t be so committed to saving this man`s life. Not a wise move in my opinion.

Archived