BANGKOK 24 January 2019 02:44
rooster59

Hua Hin hospital finally to repay money to "fleeced" farang cancer sufferer, Damrongtham

I've been visiting the hospital, on a Saturday, for over ten years for quarterly check ups and didn't realise for a long time that there was this surcharge of 300 Baht for falangs, it's shown on your bill as 'nursing services'.

They don't always seem to deduct it and I understand that even the Thais have to pay 200 Baht themselves at weekends on top of their normal 30 Baht fee which covers all services.

22 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Sorry to hear of all the hassles you’ve been going through Erwin, riding 200km back n forth after surgery must’ve been hell.... still on that VFR?

thanks and yep, still on the VFR, 555

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDutchEngineer said:

thanks and yep, still on the VFR, 555

Lol, I remember nearly being thrown off the back of that bike at Ranong immigration many many moons ago. 

• Haha 1

I've been to the local government hospital twice.  The first time I paid 100 baht and that included the meds they sent me home with.  The second time I had a growth removed from my back, outpatient procedure, total cost was 750 baht.  So for a government hospital he is being way overcharged.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

As indeed I would if that was "every" visit but that's unclear, and if indeed it was , why didnt he simply refuse to pay it, as the bill is usually given when each visit is completed. If he wasnt "admitted" then the bill is wrong and shouldnt have been paid to start with.

Don't be such a wisenose. Or have you never heard of compassion? Wait till you are limited on funds and have cancer diagnosed. And be asked to pay amounts which seem unreasonable. In addition, as 20,000 Is going to be paid back, it is proven the amounts were wrongly billed

• Like 2

2 hours ago, huainnews said:

I've been visiting the hospital, on a Saturday, for over ten years for quarterly check ups and didn't realise for a long time that there was this surcharge of 300 Baht for falangs, it's shown on your bill as 'nursing services'.

They don't always seem to deduct it and I understand that even the Thais have to pay 200 Baht themselves at weekends on top of their normal 30 Baht fee which covers all services.

Please explain quarterly check ups on a Saturday.

Sorry, I didn't read correctly. The surcharge is for weekend treatment. 

Edited by wgdanson

A 2 years hassle all for 20000 baht and also considering the doctors probably saved his life during his treatment.

He may have done more harm than good, because at Thai hospitals the word soon gets around and maybe next time won`t be so committed to saving this man`s life. Not a wise move in my opinion.

• Sad 1