Hua Hin hospital finally to repay money to "fleeced" farang cancer sufferer, Damrongtham

rooster59

I go to hua hin hospital every month for treatment as a out patient on my last visit on top of all the treatment and doctor charges there was an added 250b "service" charge when i queried this they said this was now standard for all farangs! yes it a small amount but why? they already charge 300b for "nursing service"another rip off for being allowed to live here.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, geoffrey morris said:

I go to hua hin hospital every month for treatment as a out patient on my last visit on top of all the treatment and doctor charges there was an added 250b "service" charge when i queried this they said this was now standard for all farangs! yes it a small amount but why? they already charge 300b for "nursing service"another rip off for being allowed to live here.  

There should be some distinction between Farangs being gainfully employed in Thailand and/or paying income tax and those who are here as long term tourists who contribute to the country mostly through the levies on alcoholic beverages. My wife and two girl have full access to the public hospital system, which is of little use for us anyhow, as we don't have the patience of going through 4 or 5 bureaucratic stops before getting any treatment.

2 hours ago, geoffrey morris said:

If you live in Thailand for more than half the year, you are considered to be resident in the country for the purposes of personal income tax. If you are a resident then you are expected to pay taxes on all income that you earn worldwide.  Do you pay tax to Thailand on your worldwide income? If you are paying income tax, then you certainly can object and make a claim to collect back the  extra billing.   

However, this means that when you go to HHH you should sit with the  regular Thai people who are lining up for treatment and waiting hours at what is for all intents and purposes a charity facility / public hospital which treats the Thais who can only afford basic rudimentary healthcare.

If you do not pay income tax in Thailand, please  explain the rational as to why the additional fees should not apply. 

This surcharge is approx.  11 USD/ 15 AUD/14 CAD/ 9 euro/ 8 GBP.  Considering the fact that every time a non income tax paying foreigner uses the charity/public health care system  in Thailand, it means that a Thai national is forced to wait for  basic health care, a small charge is not unreasonable.  Most responsible foreign residents have health insurance. Those who do not, fund their own health care and visit hospitals like Bangkok or San Paulo and leave Hua Hin Hospital for Thais of limited financial means.  

Foreigners have the option of returning to their first world nations and accessing healthcare there. Leave the public health care system for the poor Thais who do not have the financial means to access a higher quality of health care.

They is a new go fund me page in the south a Canadian couple scooter accident.2200 dollars a day treating the wounds only.that is alot.he wanted 15.000 he got it.but he had no license  for a motorbike so no cover.it is expensive for hospital treatment if u are the farang they do charge too much.but this is Thailand and the doctors have to live well and drive a merc.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:26 PM, rooster59 said:

The Thai media reported that Mr Buse, from the Netherlands, was now suffering from intestinal cancer, has no job and looks after goats.

Really , looking after goats ? 

I think Mr Buse should leave Thailand asap and seek some help in his country of birth.

17 hours ago, silver sea said:

This man has no job and seems to be of very limited means. 

He is Dutch and can get help in his home country , he dont have to live like this. No pension , no income from abroad ? 

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Foreigners have the option of returning to their first world nations and accessing healthcare there. Leave the public health care system for the poor Thais who do not have the financial means to access a higher quality of health care.

Yes that is what we would assume , but Mr Buse probably cant afford a flight ticket out of Thailand. 

14 minutes ago, balo said:

Yes that is what we would assume , but Mr Buse probably cant afford a flight ticket out of Thailand. 

making derogatory assumptions about the financial status of a fellow ex-pat who has been diagnosed with cancer and whom you’ve never met...... classy.

I was also diag

14 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

who has been diagnosed with cancer and whom you’ve never met...... classy

Sorry if it offends you. I was also diagnosed with cancer , in my case testis cancer , and had to leave Thailand after 4 years to get free health care in Norway. I know he could also ask for public health care in Holland. 

After 3 months treatment that included a surgery and radiation I returned to Thailand. But I could afford the flight ticket out in the first place. 

20 minutes ago, balo said:

I was also diag

Sorry if it offends you. I was also diagnosed with cancer , in my case testis cancer , and had to leave Thailand after 4 years to get free health care in Norway. I know he could also ask for public health care in Holland. 

After 3 months treatment that included a surgery and radiation I returned to Thailand. But I could afford the flight ticket out in the first place. 

There’s no free healthcare in Holland; as advanced as the country is, one needs private health insurance which requires being registered at an address etc..... I find it scandalous.

10 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

There’s no free healthcare in Holland; as advanced as the country is, one needs private health insurance which requires being registered at an address etc

Ok good point , but you can get private insurance in Thailand via BUPA and others for around 30k, that will give you access to the best private hospitals . 

Too late in his case , but for anyone thinking about retiring in Thailand without a good health insurance that also cover cancer, think again. 

7 minutes ago, balo said:

Ok good point , but you can get private insurance in Thailand via BUPA and others for around 30k . 

Indeed, although I was quoted a fair bit more than that as I’ve just turned 50, silly me, I didn’t go for it. This guy’s plight is a wake up call for all of us who have yet to organize a decent health insurance.

On 12/1/2018 at 1:48 PM, CharlieH said:

hardly call a 300 baht charge being "fleeced", yes it may have been incorrect but far from "fleeced"

Apparently he was wrongly charged repeatedly..............I will settle for being fleeced by the system.

47 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Apparently he was wrongly charged repeatedly..............I will settle for being fleeced by the system.

Correct! :-

"he had been obliged to pay 300 baht for each visit to the hospital and an unexplained 858 baht "admission fee". 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, TheDutchEngineer said:

https://www.matichon.co.th/region/news_1331216

money still not returned. The soap opera continues...

Absolutely disgusting and disgraceful behaviour from the Thai hospital!.

You should get a solicitor and take them to the cleaners - trouble is that may take a while, but you could try threatening them with solicitor's and court costs as well as the refund of the "fleecing" unless they settle immediately - they probably think that you'll get fed up and give up.

P.S. Just read the article that you refer to and cancel the last part of my statement re the solicitor - looks like you've got it covered!!

Archived