Two tourists killed in motorbike collision with car in Chalong

rooster59

Two tourists killed in motorbike collision with car in Chalong

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1543563040_1-org.jpg

According to the police report witnesses said the car made a sudden U-turn across the road. Photo: Ruamjai Kupai Foundation

PHUKET: Two tourists were killed when the motorbike they were riding on struck a car that made a U-turn on Chao Fa West Rd, Chalong, last night (Nov 29).

One of the tourists killed has since been confirmed to have been 26-year-old Algerian Muay Thai boxer Amine Halimi. not two women tourists as initially reported by police. The error is sincerely regretted.

Lt Col Tada Sodarak of the Chalong Police was notified of the accident, near the Land & Houses Park Phuket entrance (see map below), at 11:30pm.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/two-tourists-killed-in-motorbike-collision-with-car-in-chalong-69517.php#IloUfhZ7bK2w0JPu.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-12-01

One of the tourists killed has since been confirmed to have been 26-year-old Algerian Muay Thai boxer Amine Halimi. not two women tourists as initially reported by police. The error is sincerely regretted.

From 2 Russian women to a guy from Algeria. BIB need lessons on gender identification?

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

What's gonna happen to the driver of the car. Her actions were clearly deliberate and led to the death of 2 innocent people. Vehicular homicide comes to mind. 

1,000 baht fine & a Wai comes to my mind !!

1 hour ago, 1337markus said:

From 2 Russian women to a guy from Algeria. BIB need lessons on gender identification?

The deceased were identified only as foreigners by police and media.

It was some worldly wise Thaivisa members who decided the Turkish girl's name was Russian.

It's hard to know who made the error in stating both victims were female, police or media. 

2 hours ago, 1337markus said:

I'll tell you what the way this world is going I'm having major problems with gender identification too. God made it as simple as he could but we have made it a lot more complicated. A bit like a cup of coffee too many varieties to choose from now.

4 hours ago, Cereal said:

What's gonna happen to the driver of the car. Her actions were clearly deliberate and led to the death of 2 innocent people. Vehicular homicide comes to mind. 

Deliberate? As in she intentationally tried to kill them? Wow.

If she made a u-turn without signalling, let alone whether it was legal or not at that particular spot, she is definitely in the wrong and I don't mean to defend her actions. However it might, just might, be that part of the reason for the two deaths was the speed of the "big bike" or an insufficient braking distance or the usual other factors. Hint: look at the extent of the damage.

Judging from how some motorbike drivers drive around Phuket, and I cannot say of course about this particular one of course, it seems to me it's sometimes a matter of "suicide" rather than "homicide".

Terrible road to drive on.  With the ongoing endless construction that's going on and very little areas to turn around, it is sketchy at best.  Hard to get anything fixed in a hurry though, which is the case on choafa Rd.  Not sure how many years they have been messing around chalong circle, looks exactly the same as last year.  Open holes and rebar.

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Deliberate? As in she intentationally tried to kill them? Wow.

If she made a u-turn without signalling, let alone whether it was legal or not at that particular spot, she is definitely in the wrong and I don't mean to defend her actions. However it might, just might, be that part of the reason for the two deaths was the speed of the "big bike" or an insufficient braking distance or the usual other factors. Hint: look at the extent of the damage.

Judging from how some motorbike drivers drive around Phuket, and I cannot say of course about this particular one of course, it seems to me it's sometimes a matter of "suicide" rather than "homicide".

I gather critical reading skills are not your forte. I said her actions were deliberate, not the outcome of her actions.

You always need to remember in Thailand; if there is a car with a driver at wheel in front of you, they are untrained and possible drunk, so you drive with that in mind. 50 - 60kph in city districts is probably enough. 80kph on all those roads with u-turns, markets, schools and shops. Give yourself a chance.

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

We drove back from Phuket town Sunday evening 7-30 pm towards Chalong I lost count how many bikes there were with no lights how much does a light bulb cost?

Never check the rear light and brake light are still working. Only at annual 'test' if bike 5+ years old is this corrected.

Never check the rear light and brake light are still working. Only at annual 'test' if bike 5+ years old is this corrected.

I took our bike the other day down the test centre to get a new tax disc he never even looked although it is working, I always check

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, Lungstib said:

You always need to remember in Thailand; if there is a car with a driver at wheel in front of you, they are untrained and possible drunk, so you drive with that in mind. 50 - 60kph in city districts is probably enough. 80kph on all those roads with u-turns, markets, schools and shops. Give yourself a chance.

Also it needs to be remembered that if there is a bike with a rider in front of you, particularly a foreigner, they are even more likely to be untrained, possibly drunk but definitely arrogant enough to think that they are the world's best driver/rider because they are not Thai, so you drive with that in mind. 50 - 60kph in city districts is probably enough. 80kph on all those roads with u-turns, markets, schools and shops. Give yourself a chance.

Archived