Chinese woman on Phi Phi tour slashed by speedboat propeller

rooster59

13 hours ago, evadgib said:

Image result for propeller guard

Costs less than a hospital bill!

this should be a MOST requirement to any boat with propellers, including tail boats, recently saw one backing up to the beach without looking and the lady was bending picking up some shells when the propeller grab her hand

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, evadgib said:

Image result for propeller guard

Costs less than a hospital bill!

this should be a MOST requirement to any boat with propellers, including tail boats, recently saw one backing up to the beach without looking and the lady was bending picking up some shells when the propeller grab her hand

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm just trying to help you understand why they behave as they do, you might not understand why they do that but they don't understand why you queue, why you go out in the hot sun without protection, why you sit quietly and eat when their meals are very loud affairs, and so on. They say travel is a great educator and broadens the mind hence when in Rome certainly doesn't apply to every difference between races.

thanks for trying to help understand them.... lived with them for 12 years and stopped trying to understand them longtime ago.... they claim to be here for the past 5,000 years, thus claiming to be more intelligent then the majority of us

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

It's as safe as anywhere else if you switch your brain on, she gets off of the boat from the back where the propellers are still revolving, a clear case of stupidity.

Good points.

But was anybody (from the actual on-board boat crew, an on-shore representative of the boat owners, of a marine / local gov't official) watching / supervising the movement of the boat, supervising the tourists at the site, etc?

Also, did the injured lady ever go on a boat before, had she ever been close to a boat before? Perhaps her first time, so should it be assumed she is well acquainted with how boats work?

You want tourist yuan you have to earn it, which includes the right safety precautions, continuous monitoring and actions, and without assuming the passengers (paying customers) understand all that's involved.

10 hours ago, balo said:

Send the message back to China . Thailand is not safe , stay home. 

I think social media is starting to do exactly that, while Thai tourism concerns try to put a spin on it and keep it quiet social media is a medium that they cannot control... Chinese have come & witnessed first hand the real Thailand are starting to vote with their feet.

What does T.A.T do, try to deflect falling numbers and now talk about Indians flocking to Phuket.

Once again I am left scratching my head. Why did she enter the water while the boat engine was running and still maneuvering. Did the guides on the boat do a safety briefing warning snorkelers to wait to enter the water until the engine was off and they were given the all clear? Language should not have been an issue because there was an illegal Chinese tour guide working on the boat. 

Is it possible the Chinese one-child policy has had an unforeseen consequence? With so many Chinese tourists being killed/injured in a stupid manner. With each child having four grandparents helicoptering around them making sure they are always safe is it possible the younger generation has become blind to danger having never learned to see it. If the story has been reported accurately the fault of the accident is mostly the victims, next, the guides and lastly the boat drivers. At least that is the way I see it. 

12 hours ago, balo said:

Send the message back to China . Thailand is not safe , stay home. 

There are plenty of other safe places for them to travel, and that’s what they are doing.  For a few extra yuan, they can go somewhere safer and cleaner 

7 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

It's a very effective way that works well in China, as a pedestrian you look straight ahead and don't try to anticipate traffic, walk at the same steady pace and let the cars drive around you. If you try and do it any other way in Beijing you can easily die.

In China pedestrian has the right of way regardless the traffic condition. Maybe they ‘abuse’ the system for so long that  it was ingrained into their mindset and they brought it to apply in Thailand ..

in singapore, pedestrians has right of way at zebra crossing regardless of traffic condition. But when they do the same when visiting Kuala Lumpur malaysia , they ended up with horrendous result. 

Moral of the story is always be mindful where you are and do not expect your country’s way of doing things here. 

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

thanks for trying to help understand them.... lived with them for 12 years and stopped trying to understand them longtime ago.... they claim to be here for the past 5,000 years, thus claiming to be more intelligent then the majority of us

I had mentioned in past posts that Chinese tourists to Thailand are those from rural places. Most are first timers to travel overseas. They choose Thailand because the tours are cheap compared to those for Korea or japan. 

Westerner in rural places mostly avoid traveling at all. They are quite pleased with their place on earth and has no inclination to see how the rest of the world live. Chinese ,on the other hand, are curious creatures with a travel bug... when they can afford it. 

11 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

In China pedestrian has the right of way regardless the traffic condition. Maybe they ‘abuse’ the system for so long that  it was ingrained into their mindset and they brought it to apply in Thailand ..

in singapore, pedestrians has right of way at zebra crossing regardless of traffic condition. But when they do the same when visiting Kuala Lumpur malaysia , they ended up with horrendous result. 

Moral of the story is always be mindful where you are and do not expect your country’s way of doing things here. 

Excellent, thank you for that, especially the following which gets my vote for quote of the day (seriously) which all TVF posters should be forced to recite one hundred times, before posting.!

"Moral of the story is always be mindful where you are and do not expect your country’s way of doing things here". 

29 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Client Injured by own tours boat indicates utter incompetence on part of the operators.

In other words the authorities who were told seriously to get the safety item all fixed are not doing their jobs.

17 hours ago, soalbundy said:

It's as safe as anywhere else if you switch your brain on, she gets off of the boat from the back where the propellers are still revolving, a clear case of stupidity.

Yes stupidity is clearly true...still, there needs to be "qualified" people working the boats that monitor stupid people attempting to do stupid things and guide them in the proper direction....This being said..I realize finding qualified people in Thailand is impossible....Blind leading the blind....what can you do???

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, smedly said:

this is quite shocking, yes TAT says all tourists are safe lol

they area obviously not safe

The driver of this boat is either totally incompetent  - drugged up - drunk or a combination of all the above and yet he is driving a boat responsible for people in the boat

yet again we see Thailand unable to enforce existing safety regulations because it costs money and there is no financial gain if they do

safety comes at a price - the trillion baht tourist industry in Thailand is going into pockets...……….yes we take care everything safe for you...…...no it isn't

Have you actually read the full story? How can you say "The driver of this boat is either totally incompetent  - drugged up - drunk or a combination of all the above and yet he is driving a boat responsible for people in the boat". Quite presumptuous of you. Here's an excerpt (below) for you from the full story.
She was getting off the back of the boat to snorkel while the captain was reversing the boat to moor. She suffered severe wounds to both legs
So how is this the driver's fault? I'd say she jumped the gun !
Also, have you ever taken the cruise to Phi Phi ? I have, and having owned dozens of boats in my life and having spent every summer on the water, I must say that I was extremely impressed with the skill and competency which I saw the speedboat cruise-captain and crew exercise. Same for the other 20 or so boats when they reversed (as this one was doing) to moor at Phi Phi.
Best wishes to the Chinese tourist (hope she learns some patience from this).
And best wishes to Capt. Chatchai who was charged due to her stupidity.

21 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

I thought there would be stewards on board to direct passengers and ensure they follow the correct way on and off .

When I took the speedboat cruise to Phi Phi, there were 2 or 3 stewards to assist the captain. They were very serious about their duties. Perhaps they were in the bow dropping anchor at this point and all crew failed to anticipate the stupidity of a tourist who would jump into the path of a rotating propeller. How do you say "dahh" in Chinese?

Picture here of how the speed boats reverse into the beach (Same cruise but I believe this pic was taken at Maya Bay)

IMG_3498.JPG

11 minutes ago, neeray said:

She was getting off the back of the boat to snorkel while the captain was reversing the boat to moor. She suffered severe wounds to both legs

imagine it was a bus and you have people on the bus responsible for passengers - would they let someone off the bus while it was still moving ?  no they wouldn't, and if the story reported is accurate (which I doubt) - as soon as someone went in the water the engines should have been shut down immediately 

that is of course if you trust that Thai media are allowed to report what happened accurately - they say what they are told to say on no uncertain terms

On 12/1/2018 at 11:51 PM, OneEyedPie said:

Good luck to her and could have easily done a Kirsty MacColl.   

I just read about the Kirsty MacColl incident, it has a lot in common with incidents involving the wealthy in Thailand.

59 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Should that really be necessary?

Yes it definitely should, more often than not the Chinese passengers have zero awareness when it comes to boat and water safety, the safest bet is to never assume they all have common sense.

13 minutes ago, smedly said:

imagine it was a bus and you have people on the bus responsible for passengers - would they let someone off the bus while it was still moving ?  no they wouldn't, and if the story reported is accurate (which I doubt) - as soon as someone went in the water the engines should have been shut down immediately 

that is of course if you trust that Thai media are allowed to report what happened accurately - they say what they are told to say on no uncertain terms

1) If you read the full story, you would realize that according to the reporting, the engines were shut off immediately when the Captain was alerted.

2) Comments appear regularly on TVF about how unruly Chinese tour groups can be. That was quite possibly the case here.

I stand by my position.

13 minutes ago, smedly said:

I’m sure engines were shut down ,but too late to prevent the injury to the person already in the water! Now how to explain why she didn,t wait another 10 seconds,I,m sure it is a “simple” answer.

Archived