Top 10 hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

rooster59

Top 10 hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

By Tim Newton

EntryPoint_homepage_Business_01.jpg

There will be bumps along the way between your visits to the beach, bar and immigration office (sometimes the bumps will be at the beach, bar and immigration office). Expat life is what you make it here in the Land of Smiles. Moaning about it never helps but accepting the bumps is part of the adventure. Here are our Top Ten Hard Truths for expats in Thailand.

1. VISAS ARE A PAIN IN THE NECK

You have plenty of options but the options never quite fit into your line of work or expectations. But between the Non-B visa, Retirement visa, Education visa, Tourist visa, Elite visa and Smart visa, along with a few visa runs and trips to your local immigration office, you can usually fernangle a long-term stay in Thailand (yes, we know we used nick names for some of the visas).

One way or the other you will need to keep your paperwork up to date as the fines for over-stays and visa problems can be quite aggressive and difficult to negotiate your way around these days. There’s plenty of good information on the net about visas but, despite what you read, interpretation may be different on the day you visit the local office and depending who you end up speaking too.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/top-10-hard-truths-living-expat-thailand

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-12-02

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All true, but still, here we are, some long timers, married, business here for the long run, living in Thailand is like navigating your little boat on the high seas, you need to have your wits and patience about you, otherwise you will sink...

All of what the article says is completely true. Life for a farang here can be extremely challenging, with I suspect all of us having a moment or two where we are ready to explode, over some outrageous situation. It is what it is though, so you either live with it or it's time to move on. Probably got a few more grey hairs than if I were somewhere else, but personally, I am staying thanks.

The article neglects to talk about attitude and outlook which I think are key and vital. To be honest, if I felt that the Thai's objected to us being here or I felt the need to bash everything Thailand at every opportunity I certainly wouldn't stay, why would I....that many other people do simply amazes me, perhaps that's why they call it amazing Thailand!

Wherever you go there will always be plus points along with the negative ones. If you want to live here, you just simply have to accept that it is the way things are and if you cant deal with it, move on. Having lived lots of places, Thailand for all its faults, still rates highly in my book, or I wouldn't still be here.

Not a bad cross section, and as other posters have said, if it was so bad why stay. When people moan to me about how things are done here, I always remind them there is at least one flight a day out. I will, however, touch on one point which I quote :=

At the end of the day, ask yourself how difficult is it for Thai citizens to live in your country…

Well, for starters they can own a house, or land in their own name, second they can run a business without an English National as a majority holder, third they do not need to do 90 day reporting, I could go on but you all know already....:wai:

35 minutes ago, RotMahKid said:

I read the same story some time ago, do they think we are aging and forget?

most of us are past aging and forgetting.  Now we are just waiting around for someone to tell us that we are dead already.  :cheesy::cheesy:

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

At the end of the day, ask yourself how difficult is it for Thai citizens to live in your country…

In the UK very difficult unless married to a UK citizen and that doesn't always go well.

If the Thai person is able to buy a UK professional football team then that's OK.

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

thais do not want us living here and that attitude extends to immigration personnel

It might for you, but after 9 years here I've found Jomtien immigration nothing but polite and helpful and never come across anti falang attitudes.

Let's all get together and hate Thailand!  I bet this topic makes most TV commentators drool over their smartphones..  I've lived here for 13 years and nothing on this list bothers me at all.  Love it or leave it.  There are hundreds of airplanes leaving Thailand everyday.  Don't like it here?  Get on one.  

The extent to which anti-Thai, anti-Chinese and in fact anti-Asian sentiment is actively being whipped into a frenzy here is strongly reminiscent of The Sun, that would be OK if that were the purpose of the site but I don't believe that's true. If I'm wrong on this point somebody in authority needs to tell me that in no uncertain terms so that I can remove myself asap.

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Not a bad cross section, and as other posters have said, if it was so bad why stay. When people moan to me about how things are done here, I always remind them there is at least one flight a day out. I will, however, touch on one point which I quote :=

Well, for starters they can own a house, or land in their own name, second they can run a business without an English National as a majority holder, third they do not need to do 90 day reporting, I could go on but you all know already....:wai:

Well firstly (in Australia) it is difficult for ordinary Thai people to get a visa for any length of time, even more difficult if they want to work.

3 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

The Elite can; and they do in large numbers !

3 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

The Elite can; and they do in large numbers !

“Elite” was not previously mentioned. 

Of course it is different for the “elite”.

53 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

In some other countries the Thais can become citizens and enjoy a different life.

Fair? No, but that's life.

Geezer

Falangs can become citizens here as well. Just learn to read and write Thai and sing the anthem.

Archived