False promises

Hi, I visited Thailand six months backroom get a Celta and managed to get the certification alright with,  as they say,  flying colors. But the nightmare began after they stiffly refused to help me find a job. When my tourist visa was due to expire I was told that I could not get a work permit while I was still in the country. So I came back to Australia and have been here since awaiting acceptance from some school or academy that will use my services.  The Celta is not recognized here and there is no possibility of getting a job as a teacher of English. I do not wish to go back to working as a truck driver again. I feel cheated. Are all TEFL schools out there only there to take care of themselves and they can get away with making false promises? Coz when it comes to giving you the paperwork for a proper visa and work permit they won't deliver. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Course providers cannot get you a visa or a work permit or even provide the paper work for it. That is down to the school where you eventually work. There is nothing stopping you getting another tourist visa, coming back to Thailand, looking for a job and then starting the Non B visa and work permit process. That of course providing you have a Bachelor Degree. It sounds like you have been taken for a ride.

For crying out loud, I have a degree in politics and international relations from the faculty of arts University of Adelaide. I got all my transcripts for the doubting Thomas's and Thelma's there. I have my Celta certification as well. They probably did not like the look of me. I was interviewed on Skype before the course. Yeah I have been had. This topic is as much to tell people out there to stop dreaming about becoming teachers in Thailand. The educational system there is a shambles. Teachers are not valued much. I am thinking of going someplace else. Maybe Mexico:(((

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

Course providers cannot get you a visa or a work permit or even provide the paper work for it. That is down to the school where you eventually work. There is nothing stopping you getting another tourist visa, coming back to Thailand, looking for a job and then starting the Non B visa and work permit process. That of course providing you have a Bachelor Degree. It sounds like you have been taken for a ride.

They don't talk to you. They want you to fly home after the course, mate. Fk cheats all. 

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Your reactions speak a thousand words. Looks like you are not cut out for teaching.

You've nailed it. I shoulda listened to my pop when I took a fancy to this Thai bizis. But I know to teach alright. Since I vented here I heard from Djibouti! It's a Celta.. The Cambridge thing for real. 

37 minutes ago, Andrew108 said:

Pretty sure the OP didn't do a CELTA. Probably did some generic TEFL course. Anyway......I guess he is just venting. 

I have a Delta and a Celta and I got a free course in teaching young learners too in the early bird bargain. Plus the degree from the university. And a police certificate to back my character! What more can they have asked for mate! I spent 3000 dollars on getting them certifications to become a teacher!

1 hour ago, Andrew108 said:

I don't know of any CELTA course providers in Thailand who offer jobs after course completion. Are you sure it was a CELTA course?

I can't name the institute. My trainers were great. And I made great friends too 4 weeks I was there. Can't shame them if you see what I mean? But no job. Ye have to be lucky I guess. 

1 hour ago, John Answer said:

They promised me a job mate after the course. They didn't keep their end of the bargain. They offer lifetime support but my visa ran out and I would ran out of cash too. 

Lifetime support. Damn, I graduated from top 50 US university, no one offered me lifetime support. I can barely get the alumni office to answer my email.

Ran out of cash. Yes, far too many roll in here with nothing, earn nothing and leave with - nothing.

These things work like this. They get you a 30k pm job and pocket 120k for the year.

Any agency will hire a warm body for 30k. Some more.

Good luck

5 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

Lifetime support. Damn, I graduated from top 50 US university, no one offered me lifetime support. I can barely get the alumni office to answer my email.

Ran out of cash. Yes, far too many roll in here with nothing, earn nothing and leave with - nothing.

These things work like this. They get you a 30k pm job and pocket 120k for the year.

Any agency will hire a warm body for 30k. Some more.

Good luck

There is rampant sexual harassment in the EFL industry. I have been a victim too. 

As has already been pointed out, an employer provides paperwork for the non-imm B. The work permit is provided by the Labor office, you don't need to leave the country.

You are a native speaker with a degree and celta in a country that has a severe foreign teacher shortage.

I have a feeling there's an interesting 2nd side to this story.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Aha, my brother is a language teacher at ABAC University in Bangkok ( has a masters degree in education). He tells me beware of the person with a piece of paper for English language lessons these are not recognised as real teachers. Real teachers have a Bachelor's degree in Education or higher levels. Bit like getting a Tukk Tuk driver behind the wheel of F! grand prix racing car . LOL!

You have a serious misunderstanding. There is not ONE TEFL/CELTA/TESOL school that promises you a job. They ALL offer assistance finding employment. You might have thought you heard someone promise you a job, it just doesn't happen anywhere. And you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a school looking for a teacher in Thailand. It looks like you've landed a job elsewhere, probably best for everyone.

14 hours ago, John Answer said:

For crying out loud, I have a degree in politics and international relations from the faculty of arts University of Adelaide. I got all my transcripts for the doubting Thomas's and Thelma's there. I have my Celta certification as well. They probably did not like the look of me. I was interviewed on Skype before the course. Yeah I have been had. This topic is as much to tell people out there to stop dreaming about becoming teachers in Thailand. The educational system there is a shambles. Teachers are not valued much. I am thinking of going someplace else. Maybe Mexico:(((

You might try Laos, but I wouldn't trust getting a job anywhere by doing it online. 

Just follow the normal route. Get a tourist visa , go on Ajarn.com which has all the teacher jobs going in Thailand and then the school will do the rest. You will have to exit and go to a nearby embassy where you will then get the necessary visa for working as a teacher .Getting a job in Thailand as a teacher with your qualifications will be as easy as pie! I've never heard of anyone not getting one.

Aha, my brother is a language teacher at ABAC University in Bangkok ( has a masters degree in education). He tells me beware of the person with a piece of paper for English language lessons these are not recognised as real teachers. Real teachers have a Bachelor's degree in Education or higher levels. Bit like getting a Tukk Tuk driver behind the wheel of F! grand prix racing car . LOL!
The topic is about TEFL/TESL, for which a CELTA or Trinity TESOL qualification is the internationally recognised qualification. There are plenty of reasonably paying TEFL jobs in Bangkok, so most likely there are other issues which are making it difficult for the OP to find one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 hours ago, John Answer said:

I have a Delta and a Celta and I got a free course in teaching young learners too in the early bird bargain. Plus the degree from the university. And a police certificate to back my character! What more can they have asked for mate! I spent 3000 dollars on getting them certifications to become a teacher!

If you have a Delta, why did you then do Celta? So why are you creating a fuss about a Celta? Delta is more advanced than Celta isn't it? My ex wife did Celta in the UK and was employed there but she was advised to get herself Delta qualified to help her with higher level promotions so she did that. It was Delta that qualified her for the higher level classroom and management positions.

I don't know anything about teaching here but Delta is surely the way to go in your case.

13 hours ago, John Answer said:

If you have a Delta, why did you then do Celta? So why are you creating a fuss about a Celta? Delta is more advanced than Celta isn't it? My ex wife did Celta in the UK and was employed there but she was advised to get herself Delta qualified to help her with higher level promotions so she did that. It was Delta that qualified her for the higher level classroom and management positions.

I don't know anything about teaching here but Delta is surely the way to go in your case.

14 hours ago, John Answer said:

I can't name the institute. My trainers were great. And I made great friends too 4 weeks I was there. Can't shame them if you see what I mean? But no job. Ye have to be lucky I guess. 

Mate, I know you are frustrated, but relax and don't worry about what was promised. You have very good qualifications. If you really want to teach in Thailand, go there on a tourist visa and start hunting. Take any job you can get and go from there. I've been teaching for 18 years. Getting in the door and making contacts is key. My current job in Japan was secured through a friend from Thailand who preceded me here. Who you know is extremely important in this field, as with any other, I suppose. After 18 years, six schools in three countries I feel like I am qualified to give this advice. Oh, and this won't be the first time a school lies to you. Any teacher here will agree. 

I personally know plenty of folk who took the CELTA in Bangkok; every one of them got a job within a couple of weeks. The CELTA school can try to help you, but are under no obligation to. You have to wear a shirt and tie and go knocking on doors—you’ll definitely get a job. Stop relying on the CELTA school to do the hunting for you—no matter what they say—they are not a one stop shop. Start networking with your classmates, I’m sure plenty can share opportunities. You are not a victim. You need to go out there and pound the pavement. Oh, and I got a CELTA too, and got a job offer in no time—I turned it down for another unrelated opportunity and never ended up using the CELTA. So I’ve been exactly where you are.

Archived