False promises

not sure about all, but basically they take your money to teach you to be an english teacher, put you up in crap accomodation and provide limited training with a promise of help to find job or a job at the end.

you are paying for someones lunch, they thank you for that, probably little you can do to see that anythig written down is legal, best you can do is leave negative reviews for the company so no  more people fall for the crappy company

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come up to Buriram. I am Hungarian and was offered an English teacher job at the local school without any qualifications when I visited a friend there???????????? I am not here to work so I declined. There is a serious shortage of English teachers in Isan. If you happy to live up north east it should be really easy for you to get a job.

After reading your post I must say.. CELTA testing must be really easy to pass nowadays.  Your English composition is terrible.. sentence structure is out or the window.... It explains everything as to the reasoning behind the schools thinking.  

Go study some more ok.. If you want to teach English you first need to have knowledge in it. 

As a teacher myself, I would have passed you perhaps, but it would have been with a very low grade. 

17 hours ago, John Answer said:

They promised me a job mate after the course. They didn't keep their end of the bargain. They offer lifetime support but my visa ran out and I would ran out of cash too. 

Sorry to be a bit picky but your English and grammar, do not seem to be great for a possible future English teacher!!

would ran out of cash?

I spent 3000 dollars on getting them certifications to become a teacher! ?? 

Ye have to be lucky I guess. ???

Must try harder . 3/10 for effort.

42 minutes ago, IssanMichael said:

Sorry to be a bit picky but your English and grammar, do not seem to be great for a possible future English teacher!!

would ran out of cash?

I spent 3000 dollars on getting them certifications to become a teacher! ?? 

Ye have to be lucky I guess. ???

Must try harder . 3/10 for effort.

Cut me some slack.  I been through much, mate. 

56 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

After reading your post I must say.. CELTA testing must be really easy to pass nowadays.  Your English composition is terrible.. sentence structure is out or the window.... It explains everything as to the reasoning behind the schools thinking.  

Go study some more ok.. If you want to teach English you first need to have knowledge in it. 

As a teacher myself, I would have passed you perhaps, but it would have been with a very low grade. 

You make a fine critic. Kiss my ass. 

2 hours ago, Bigz said:

Come up to Buriram. I am Hungarian and was offered an English teacher job at the local school without any qualifications when I visited a friend there???????????? I am not here to work so I declined. There is a serious shortage of English teachers in Isan. If you happy to live up north east it should be really easy for you to get a job.

I am not going back to Thailand, mate. I have had enough. I am going to this place called Djibouti near Africa. 

3 hours ago, manchega said:

not sure about all, but basically they take your money to teach you to be an english teacher, put you up in crap accomodation and provide limited training with a promise of help to find job or a job at the end.

you are paying for someones lunch, they thank you for that, probably little you can do to see that anythig written down is legal, best you can do is leave negative reviews for the company so no  more people fall for the crappy company

The course is great, no mistake. I truly had a great time doing it. But there are no jobs. I even had sex to get a good teaching job. Maybe I went too far. 

5 hours ago, quandow said:

You have a serious misunderstanding. There is not ONE TEFL/CELTA/TESOL school that promises you a job. They ALL offer assistance finding employment. You might have thought you heard someone promise you a job, it just doesn't happen anywhere. And you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a school looking for a teacher in Thailand. It looks like you've landed a job elsewhere, probably best for everyone.

Those who want to learn the language are looking for a teacher. But you don't see the turnpike until you come to it. 

18 hours ago, John Answer said:

I have a Delta and a Celta and I got a free course in teaching young learners too in the early bird bargain. Plus the degree from the university. And a police certificate to back my character! What more can they have asked for mate! I spent 3000 dollars on getting them certifications to become a teacher!

There are many other countries, Indonesia (Bali)  Timor Leste (East Timor) that are looking for English Teachers, and they are close to Aussie Land.  Thailand is not the only one you should know.  I have heard of new opportunities in Cambodia and Myanmar but can't say 'for sure'........now that you have vented here, try to find out more by researching.  and of course the CELTA should be a one up from a TEFL if I am understanding your certificates.

23 minutes ago, John Answer said:

I am not going back to Thailand, mate. I have had enough. I am going to this place called Djibouti near Africa. 

Djibouti  -  next door to Somalia, across from Yemen - French Speaking, Unofficial Home of the Foreign Legion (yes they still exist)  There is a huge US Army Presence there, Camp Leumier.  Two years ago it was the hottest country on the planet for average yearly Temperatures and Humidity  -  I hated it when I was posted to Asmara Eritrea for a month, had to fly to Djibouti to see a dentist, you can drink water and it pours out thru your pores while you are pouring it in your mouth.............but it has good Internet, restaurants, and medical institutions, and if you are into the P4P there are beautiful women from Ethiopia and Eritrera working the game................leave the Aussie (I drink a lot of beer so I can kick anyones ass) attitude at home, those Legionaires are some tough sumbiches, and the SomaliLand folks are not to be F'd with either..........just saying - I have been there.

21 minutes ago, John Answer said:

Not only is it near Africa, but actually in Africa. I think you are talking out of your Djibouti. Damn it, I feel really stupid that I feel for this obvious troll post. Fail on my part. Must try harder.

37 minutes ago, John Answer said:

Near Africa? It's on the horn of Africa.

How's your French and Arabic?

Foreign countries can be a tough gig. You've seen something mild in Thailand.

My advice for long term travellers: you need to know where you're going BEFORE you go. Sounds obvious? Far from it. So many people just set off and regret it almost immediately.

Welcome to Thailand, the land of lies and inflated promises. Money rules and in most cases they will tell you what you want to hear, not what they indent to deliver. 

Nevertheless, w with you qualifications, if you come over and travel and shop around for a job for a while you are sure to find one. 

And there also the up and coming teaching destination, first and foremost Vietnam, you should consider if LOS doesn't work out or you are sick and tired of the games they are playing. 

19 minutes ago, todlad said:

Near Africa? It's on the horn of Africa.

How's your French and Arabic?

Foreign countries can be a tough gig. You've seen something mild in Thailand.

My advice for long term travellers: you need to know where you're going BEFORE you go. Sounds obvious? Far from it. So many people just set off and regret it almost immediately.

Guess I'll take my chances. I speak neither language. 

I took the CELTA in 2006 in Siam Square.  It was a great course and a great experience.  No one ever helped me find a job, and that was made pretty clear.  What they could offer in the final days of the course was some advice as to which schools were decent and which were not.  I had a few offers before the course ended, but was choosy.  I don't understand why you feel cheated.  All the visa work is on you, the student.  Sounds like you don't have the patience to do a proper job search, which can be done both online and by visiting schools in person.  There were lots of ways for you to extend your stay without having to fly back to Australia.  

4 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Welcome to Thailand, the land of lies and inflated promises. Money rules and in most cases they will tell you what you want to hear, not what they indent to deliver. 

Nevertheless, w with you qualifications, if you come over and travel and shop around for a job for a while you are sure to find one. 

And there also the up and coming teaching destination, first and foremost Vietnam, you should consider if LOS doesn't work out or you are sick and tired of the games they are playing. 

You haven't said a truer word in your life, mate. But I am never coming back ever again. Thailand sucks. With all their fecal rules you might think aw shucks. But the reality is dog shit, mate. They won't let you work. They won't let you be. They want yer money and have sex with you.  Not the other way around. Just think about it.    

Welcome to Thailand

That message is only meant for non-Aussies flying into Thailand with stars in their eyes. There is a mafia out there to prevent good people from Australia to become teachers and trainers <removed> That is the sense I am getting now after talking to hundreds of people who have returned like me with similar or worse stories to tell and amuse people who dont care. When it comes to recruitment the Thai are warned off against us. Sick. 

I have a Delta and a Celta and I got a free course in teaching young learners too in the early bird bargain. Plus the degree from the university. And a police certificate to back my character! What more can they have asked for mate! I spent 3000 dollars on getting them certifications to become a teacher!

Take a look at your'e last sentence. Enough said.

Ill conceived plan, poorly executed, then blames everyone else.

You need to be educated, not be an educator...mate! 

Stick to driving trucks, because you certainly are not "Teacher" material that's very clear by your posts and written ability.

Bashing Thailand, verbally abusing the country and its people? really, because you cant get what you want !

For crying out loud, I have a degree in politics and international relations from the faculty of arts University of Adelaide. I got all my transcripts for the doubting Thomas's and Thelma's there. I have my Celta certification as well. They probably did not like the look of me. I was interviewed on Skype before the course. Yeah I have been had. This topic is as much to tell people out there to stop dreaming about becoming teachers in Thailand. The educational system there is a shambles. Teachers are not valued much. I am thinking of going someplace else. Maybe Mexico:(((

Goodness me!  From you standard of English I am not at all surprised you were refused a job as an English teacher here!  

Maybe they meant to give you leads for teaching opportunities. Hope you want to become a teacher for the benefits of knowledge 

For children first and their education first.

In the beginning it’s going to be challenging and lower pay once 

you show your capabilities things should change. 

Best of luck...

You make a fine critic. Kiss my ass. 

Wow! can't take criticism. I have been teaching for 10 years. 8 of them in Thailand.  It isn't your fault you wrote poorly. You don't know any better. But most schools will surely be able to detect your English skills as well as your attitude. Wasted money trying to get a free ride in Thailand. I am sure you will eventually find a school paying 12000 or 13000 baht. This is standard for poor English skilled teachers. Find an agency but be careful to research them online. 

Perhaps trying to teach English you will be able to learn some also. Your best chances will be in Kg or lower primary schools. Somewhere grammar and sentence structure is not yet taught.  

Good luck to you

Wow! can't take criticism. I have been teaching for 10 years. 8 of them in Thailand.  It isn't your fault you wrote poorly. You don't know any better. But most schools will surely be able to detect your English skills as well as your attitude. Wasted money trying to get a free ride in Thailand. I am sure you will eventually find a school paying 12000 or 13000 baht. This is standard for poor English skilled teachers. Find an agency but be careful to research them online. 

Perhaps trying to teach English you will be able to learn some also. Your best chances will be in Kg or lower primary schools. Somewhere grammar and sentence structure is not yet taught.  

Good luck to you

Kiss my ass. 

You know what frustrates me about your comments, is that any English taught here in Thailand from anyone but a Thai teacher has to be better.

Oh and for the record, I made my 1st million with the poor English writing that I know, the 2nd was easier, so basic English is all one needs, the rest is up top, no beating my chest here, just stating a fact, and I was offered a teaching job at my kids school when they told me what they would pay, I declined, not because I wouldn't be able to teach the kids, it was the math, i.e. 30,000 baht a month Vs one day....lol

The Celta is not recognized here and there is no possibility of getting a job as a teacher of English. I do not wish to go back to working as a truck driver again

If you can't find work as an English teacher at home, why should you be hired in Thailand? Maybe you could teach truck driving in Thailand. 

This is the ECC come on. I've read it before. But the only Delta im aware of in BKK is Intl House.

Do you had a Delta but did a Celta? Why? Oh nevermind

Archived