No Letter and no Money

Who said anything about dying? It's them keeping you alive and milking you for millions of baht. I'm not sure if your getting it.

If your never going to be sick or involved in accidents then no need to reply to my posts.

And how is the converting a crashing oz dollar " gold" its not even bronze!

And your ok back home now, don’t give up,get back to us on your next visa on arrival visit!

I took the challenge of the Philippines and four years on, I am happy with the move, look to the provinces, Manila and Cebu are not too nice, places like Dumaguete are full of foreigners and all the things they like, I like the rural scene like Isaan so I am in Sipalay City Negros Occidental Philippines. 

How consistent is the electricity in the provinces, these days?  I found Cebu better in terms of having decent shopping options and transport - plus the Big Bonus, that the electricity stayed on almost continuously.  But that was a few years ago; I hope things are better now.

Even if you have the funds it is hard to get an extension of stay nowadays. I had all the required documents and 400000 thb in the bank for longer than 2 months and was refused an extension because now they wanted photos of a Thai witness with my wife and me in the bedroom, living room and outside of the house showing house number. They also wanted a copy of their housebook and id card. Next day we went back to immigration office and told them we could not find anybody who wanted to do that. That was last Friday in Jomtien.  The io than told my wife that Thai witness also had to come to immigration office together with us. Io said come back next week but than I was in overstay. I asked her if could give me 60 days, that also seemed to be a problem but I finally got the 60 days. Don't know what I'm gonna do next. All that hassle to get only 60 days. I have my own house and live here whole year.

• Like 1

Even if you have the funds it is hard to get an extension of stay nowadays. I had all the required documents and 400000 thb in the bank for longer than 2 months and was refused an extension because now they wanted photos of a Thai witness with my wife and me in the bedroom, living room and outside of the house showing house number. They also wanted a copy of their housebook and id card. Next day we went back to immigration office and told them we could not find anybody who wanted to do that. That was last Friday in Jomtien.  The io than told my wife that Thai witness also had to come to immigration office together with us. Io said come back next week but than I was in overstay. I asked her if could give me 60 days, that also seemed to be a problem but I finally got the 60 days. Don't know what I'm gonna do next. All that hassle to get only 60 days. I have my own house and live here whole year.

They want agent-money, so make it as difficult (and often humiliating) as possible (witness in the bedroom - sheesh).  The police will visit anyway, so no reason for most of what they are requesting. 

The other pics and such are "normal" procedure.  The "witness" is only at some offices.  Just find a neighbor who has seen you together - maybe an employee somewhere you shop together - and be prepared to pay them for their time. 

Edited by JackThompson

I think in the whole history of Thai visa there has never been so many threads opened on the same subject, many asking the same questions over and over again, hoping to receive answers they want to hear.

A question for the OP: you claim not having enough funds to even raise 400000 baht ($12000) to obtain your yearly extension and I am assuming that as you are living on pension incomes you`re not a young guy. So have you planned or thought about what might happen if you get seriously ill or involved in an accident, how you would pay for your medical expenses? Are you hoping to obtain your medical fees with a Go Fund Me or from some charitable organisation? This is part of why immigration are insisting westerners have some funds put by in Thailand for such occurrences that is in your best interests to do so. 

As Thai immigration start tightening up and enforcing the immigration procedures more and more, many expats will be considering moving to other S.E. Asian countries. Last year I visited Vietnam and Cambodia and while in those countries got chatting to expats. They all told me that as more westerners start staying in those countries looking for relaxed lifestyles for a pittance, the rules are being tightened up there as well.

I can never understand why elderly westerners would even consider retiring abroad without enough funds put by for a rainy day, living on a month to month basis and having no plan B for changing bank rates and changing immigration policies, then blame immigration and others for their predicaments.

I am not deliberately going out of my way to be malicious, I am only talking common sense that everyone is responsible for their own lives and no one owes anybody else a certain lifestyle and a living.  My dad once told me, you make your own bed and you must lie on it and he was right.

You and your dad have pretty narrow views on life. It's actually your mom and dad that make your bed, and it's not easy to get out of it if you're from a poor family. Life's all about choosing the right parents.

• Like 2

https://www.theurbanlist.com/sydney/a-list/sydneys-best-cheap-eats-under-10

Plenty of cheap eats under 300 baht and that's in Sydney! Your not real big on research

"what if bad health never happens"?

You better look for Sheryls posts on the probability of it HAPPENING. Only a total moron would think it won't happen to them and have zero funds to pay it in a 3rd world country.

Good luck with your life because your going to need plenty of it... Perhaps a dozen amulets may help. emoji23.png

You're not so hot on research either. There isn't much listed there which is not a snack, or loaded with fat. A bacon and egg roll for 7 bucks? That's a bargain? Spare me. I don't see a large beer listed as part of the pricing structure either.

Lunch yesterday was spaghetti, crumbed fish and sauce, plus a large Heineken. My GF had pad thai goong and an iced coffee. All up less than $10.

I've eaten breakfast at Bill Granger's in Sydney, and it was overpriced crap. I can cook better myself. Proof of the aphorism Melbourne people go out to restaurants to eat, and Sydney people go out to restaurants to be seen.

I have already pointed out in a previous post I am quite well resourced for emergencies here. That hasn't appeared to register with you.

I don't need amulets. However, I do feel I am going to need a frontal lobotomy if I continue this discussion with you.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Get hit by a bus in oz and your flown by chopper. Have a stoke or anything requiring icu your free and immediate

Try paying for your hospital bill here? Your looking at 2 million baht +++I doubt you have good insurance.. Simply impossible on your pension.

Who eats in a pub every night? Pub grub is the same price here.. Meat and Veges and wine are cheaper in oz . Rent is affordable in small towns

You can't pick and choose. So your talking utter rubbish

That is not the way I hear it from friends who live in Australia and mention high cost of living. As cheap to go to Bali for a break I am told. So what is the reality?

If he had a 100k like you suggest. He could pay an agent in a heartbeat. You are not seeing the big picture here

The runners can't even afford an agent!

Just a few days ago a friend called an agent and asked what would be the cost to secure a retirement visa.

Answer was 28k baht because of the latest T.I. crackdown . So that equates to 700 pounds ish . I would rather return to the UK for a short break and pay for a proper non o visa .

Back  to the main question ,  I have heard that  Sri lanka is quite a gem and not as hot as Thailand max 32c

Why not just wait for an announcement from immigration? I'm sure they are not going to leave those that used the embassy letter system high and dry.

They have already left the people from Denmark high and dry......their embassy stopped doing income letters a few weeks ago

• Like 1

They have already left the people from Denmark high and dry......their embassy stopped doing income letters a few weeks ago

Well that would actually be due to the actions of the Danish Embassy rather than immigration.

• Like 1

My option would be the south in the Philippines. I have expat contacts there and so long as you stay away from the big cities it is Doable on the OAP at least for Aussies. atm i am doing a fair amount of research on the subject.  I think it would be hard to start again in Australia or most western Countries   Medical treatment is ok but Rent and food well think about . go on line, you tube, Expat clubs and compare costs of living at various places 

@roger101 - a particular point worth bearing in mind if you are in receipt of the UK State Pension is that this will not be frozen if you relocate to the Phillipines, whereas it will be if you relocate to Thailand.

• Like 1

I'm not an Oxford graduate but I have always (20 times) applied for my extension at least 30 days before the last one expires.  You are responsible for your own problems as I see it. 

I'm not an Oxford graduate but I have always (20 times) applied for my extension at least 30 days before the last one expires.  You are responsible for your own problems as I see it. 

Just interested in what is 'at least' and at which office.

I use Jomptien and have always applied 30 days early.  Next extension I need maybe 35 days - because of how the dates fall and the cessation of BE income letters.  Jomptien Immigration tell me 'no more than 30 days for retirement extension', which is a PITA as if this is true I can't use the Income Letter method this time, even if I apply for the letter on the last allowable date (12/12/18).

If anyone has ever managed to get more than 30 days at Jomptien then please let me know under what circumstances this worked.

2 hours ago, doctormann said:

I use Jomptien and have always applied 30 days early.  Next extension I need maybe 35 days - because of how the dates fall and the cessation of BE income letters.  Jomptien Immigration tell me 'no more than 30 days for retirement extension', which is a PITA as if this is true I can't use the Income Letter method this time, even if I apply for the letter on the last allowable date (12/12/18).

If anyone has ever managed to get more than 30 days at Jomptien then please let me know under what circumstances this worked.

I think Jomtien is 45

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I think Jomtien is 45

That's what I thought and was hoping for but when I asked I was told 30 days max.

Maybe I'll try asking again, next time that I'm in the vicinity.

I don't want to splash out on an Embassy letter if it's going to run out of validity before I can apply for the extension.  The BE has been as unhelpful as usual and have told me that they will not post-date the letter.  If I apply for the letter on the last day allowed, it will probably have an issue date before 22 December, which means that it will be valid until 22 June - at best - and this is just a few days too short.  45 days would be excellent, if only I could get it!

2 hours ago, doctormann said:

That's what I thought and was hoping for but when I asked I was told 30 days max.

Maybe I'll try asking again, next time that I'm in the vicinity.

I don't want to splash out on an Embassy letter if it's going to run out of validity before I can apply for the extension.  The BE has been as unhelpful as usual and have told me that they will not post-date the letter.  If I apply for the letter on the last day allowed, it will probably have an issue date before 22 December, which means that it will be valid until 22 June - at best - and this is just a few days too short.  45 days would be excellent, if only I could get it!

I also asked about this last year at Jomtien and was told 30 days.

25 minutes ago, tropo said:

I also asked about this last year at Jomtien and was told 30 days.

I'm sure Ubon Joe can clear it up I do remember him posting something about it but can't remember if it was Jomtien or some other location.  I always got 30 but it was a few years ago when I lived In Pattaya.

Edited by marcusarelus

19 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm sure Ubon Joe can clear it up I do remember him posting something about it but can't remember if it was Jomtien or some other location.  I always got 30 but it was a few years ago when I lived In Pattaya.

Actually, I asked about this in May this year and the answer was 30 days. I don't see how Ubon Joe can clear up what I was told by the IO. It was the person at the reporting desk who drew it to my attention that my extension was expiring soon.

39 minutes ago, tropo said:

Actually, I asked about this in May this year and the answer was 30 days. I don't see how Ubon Joe can clear up what I was told by the IO. It was the person at the reporting desk who drew it to my attention that my extension was expiring soon.

I meant what IO was 45 days. That's what I posted.  I remember him identifying an office or two that were 45 days.  

Edited by marcusarelus

9 hours ago, doctormann said:

I renew my Retirement extension at Jomtien and have had a couple of recent years where I applied a few days earlier than 30 days.

Checking my passport, these were in 2015 (35 days) and 2017 (32 days). I made no mention of the early application and both renewals went through with no comment from the IO.

Maybe having Songkran within the normal 30 day application period helped my case, but as the IO was silent on the issue I really don't know.

Having a soon to expire BE income letter may give you possibilities for an earlier renewal (say around 40-45 days). But that is far from a given, especially based on comments from other posters. Wish you luck with whatever route you decide on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OP has been using a letter from embassy to extend. That means he has an income of at least 40k a month. Is that a pittance? 

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, it is a pittance not even social security in the US.....

Having a letter unfortunately does not necessarily mean he has an income.  Due to abuses of the system

• Like 1