Jump to content
BANGKOK 23 March 2019 23:46
Chris Po

We have no committee anymore but management does not care.

Recommended Posts

The cheques :  An interesting question. The only committee member came today to the meeting said that the money from the  sinking found is still in the hand of the developer, the maintanance fee goes to the bank account of the developer. 

He said, that the Condominium has not his own bank account. 

I can not control if this is right or not. 

There are a lot of things to fix, some things are done, the cheap one you can see- now they put white color everywhere ,....many important things , maybe more expensive , are not fixed. 

When i came here i want to enjoy and a "peaceful" life here, since some weeks i start to study the Condominium Act,.....talk with people about the problems here.  I am from Vienna, English is not my mother language, i speak some Thai,....so i am thankful for all information here. 

Chris 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 1:44 PM, lkn said:

He said that he heard from a former board member that developer advices the management company, but he didn’t know if it was true.

 

And who else should advice the management company when the active committee members have left the building and the remaining ones claim to have resigned?

 

Quote

 

The committee resigned because they say it makes no sense to spend energy , because the developer tells the office what to do and even they want something, Office did not care.   One day the Chairman gave up, his second sold and the rest was without plan. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

There is no requirement to inform the Land Office about resignations.
If following a resignation the number of committee members is still 3 or more then nothing happens.
If following a resignation the number of committee becomes less than 3 then an EGM must be called immediately to allow co-owners to vote for a replacement. The result of that vote must be registered with the Land Office within one month.

It is NOT legal for committee members and/or any number of co-owners to appoint replacement committee members outside of a GM. Committee members can only be appointed by co-owner vote at a properly arranged GM, with due notice being given to all co-owners so that they can attend and vote if they wish.

 

However, as I pointed out, committee members who resign still remain committee members until they are replaced by co-owner vote at a GM.

 

So what your office told you is correct.

 

You tell me that if the numbers of committee members is under 3 the Office /JPM must make an EGM. 

Than you wrote that even they resign they are still committee members. 

So how can they get under 3  ?? 

English is not my motherlanguage, so maybe i missunderstand now . 

Greetings

Chris

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chris Po said:

You tell me that if the numbers of committee members is under 3 the Office /JPM must make an EGM. 

Than you wrote that even they resign they are still committee members. 

So how can they get under 3  ?? 

Look at it this way: as long as you still have three or more committee members then nothing needs to happen, regardless of how many people have resigned. Those people who have resigned will be replaced at the next GM, and until then they are still committee members and could withdraw their resignation and continue to act as committee members.

 

But if so many resign that there are less than three left then a meeting has to be held immediately to at least get the number back up to three. But until they are replaced the ones who have resigned are still technically committee members.

 

It's Thai logic and does not bear close examination.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chris Po said:

The cheques :  An interesting question. The only committee member came today to the meeting said that the money from the  sinking found is still in the hand of the developer, the maintanance fee goes to the bank account of the developer. 

He said, that the Condominium has not his own bank account. 

That seems all wrong. If you have had your first meeting and have selected a committee and a JPM then you should also have opened a bank account and sorted out the sinking fund, and your building should have its own accounts etc.

 

I imagine that the developer is doing it that way so as to wriggle out of paying the common fee for unsold units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chris Po said:

When i came here i want to enjoy and a "peaceful" life here, since some weeks i start to study the Condominium Act,.....talk with people about the problems here. 

"Wanting a peaceful life" is the number one reason I have heard from people submitting their resignations from committees. I must have heard it a dozen times or more. The number two reason is "it's impossible to deal with this management". I've heard that one a dozen times too.

Few people realise just how bad Thai management often is, and how much effort is involved in being a proper committee member.
One thing is for sure: if every little detail isn't checked then someone, somewhere, will be turning it to their advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

"Wanting a peaceful life" is the number one reason I have heard from people submitting their resignations from committees. I must have heard it a dozen times or more. The number two reason is "it's impossible to deal with this management". I've heard that one a dozen times too.

Few people realise just how bad Thai management often is, and how much effort is involved in being a proper committee member.
One thing is for sure: if every little detail isn't checked then someone, somewhere, will be turning it to their advantage.

Few people also dont realize how stupid and unsuitable some Committee Members are, despite them thinking they know everything about anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chris Po said:

The cheques :  An interesting question. The only committee member came today to the meeting said that the money from the  sinking found is still in the hand of the developer, the maintanance fee goes to the bank account of the developer. 

 He said, that the Condominium has not his own bank account. 

 I can not control if this is right or not. 

Please ask management who is your JPM.

 

Then ask the JPM to get the monthly profit and loss report. This is required to be posted at the building’s bulletin board: section 36 (5), so possibly this is already available to you.

 

Understanding your building’s finances is crucial. You should also look at the budget passed on last AGM.

 

8 hours ago, Chris Po said:

 There are a lot of things to fix, some things are done, the cheap one you can see- now they put white color everywhere ,....many important things , maybe more expensive , are not fixed. 

From your posts here, it’s difficult to assess what sort of actual issues your building has.

 

It could be that the repairs are expensive so the management company does not feel they should spend money on this when it is not in the budget, it can be that they consider it defects that the developer should fix, and they have submitted claims to the developer, maybe they don’t have the money (because developer doesn’t pay common fee?), or maybe they don’t consider them serious issues worth fixing (look at how many defects goes unfixed in your typical Thai building).

 

It sounds to me like a lot of your information is second hand, you really need to get to the source and you need to understand the finances of the building. It could be that everyone is paying their common fee but there is just no money left for repairs because developer set the management fee too low at the initial AGM (not uncommon).

 

Of course it could also be that there is corruption, that management is in cahoots with the developer, etc.

 

As alluded to in a previous comment, my building wasn’t being properly run when I bought my condo; it was all due to incompetence, but you can’t fix the problem before you properly understand it.

 

One example of this is that our building manager never lasted for more than 1-2 months. I learned that our JPM was explicitly asking for 20-25 year old girls in the job advert and paid them 12,000 baht/month.

 

I am sure he thought that the owners appreciated interacting with a young girl each time there was an issue, but we got rid of the gender and age requirement, asked to attend the job interview, and said we would have no problem paying a higher salary for someone with experience.

 

Our next hire has so far lasted for 2 years and the guy does a phenomenal job (and we have since changed the JPM).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Few people also dont realize how stupid and unsuitable some Committee Members are, despite them thinking they know everything about anything.

So true, and also people’s belief that because the Thai minimum wage is around 9,000 baht/month, that is what you should pay your staff, so you hire 5 unqualified people at 9,000 baht/month and complain that they don’t do anything and that all Thais are lazy, instead of hiring two qualified people at 22,500 baht.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lkn said:

So true, and also people’s belief that because the Thai minimum wage is around 9,000 baht/month, that is what you should pay your staff, so you hire 5 unqualified people at 9,000 baht/month and complain that they don’t do anything and that all Thais are lazy, instead of hiring two qualified people at 22,500 baht.

Our manager is paid a lot more than that (not even counting all his unofficial backhander income, which is huge) yet that doesnt seem to stop him from standing around with his thumb up his backside all day.

Our office and maintenance and cleaning staff are also paid way above average for their job, and they are also perfectly happy to do nothing all day.

 

How qualified do you need to be to push a broom around anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lkn said:

One example of this is that our building manager never lasted for more than 1-2 months. I learned that our JPM was explicitly asking for 20-25 year old girls in the job advert and paid them 12,000 baht/month.

 

I am sure he thought that the owners appreciated interacting with a young girl each time there was an issue,

More likely that the JPM appreciated interacting with a young girl.

 

Also the younger and more stupid the staff, the easier it is to get them to pay the JPM a bribe in return for being hired. Endless scams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Few people also dont realize how stupid and unsuitable some Committee Members are, despite them thinking they know everything about anything.

I dont mind people who think they know everything as it isnt usually very hard to prove them wrong, especially here.

What I dont like with most committee members here is their thirst for power and inability to see beyond the most pointless and insignificant issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Our office and maintenance and cleaning staff are also paid way above average for their job, and they are also perfectly happy to do nothing all day.

Sounds like the committee has no idea about hiring; not unsurprising, this is not easy, and if you have no idea of how to actually run/maintain a building, do accounting, etc. then the task is only made harder.

 

In such case, I would recommend that the building goes with a proper facility management company, both OCS and G4S have been recommended to me, and it sounds like your building already pays what such company would charge.

 

Another approach is to visit a building you know is being properly run, and then ask who manages it.

 

Personally I prefer having the staff work directly for the co-owners, as it’s easier, more flexible, and possibly also cheaper (compared to a *proper* management company), but it does require a competent committee, just as running a business with staff requires a component general manager.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

How qualified do you need to be to push a broom around anyway?

Our cleaners do a lot more than pushing a broom around.

 

If your cleaners are doing nothing, make a task list, possibly have sheets around the building where they must write the time of when they last completed the subtasks for that section, randomly inspect the work, give them warnings if the quality is not good enough, and terminate them after repeat warnings.

 

This is just about managing your staff, and this problem exists in all countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I dont mind people who think they know everything as it isnt usually very hard to prove them wrong, especially here.

Yes, I am sure you find it easy to prove that all the other committee members know nothing, unlike yourself, who knows everything, yet live in a building where JPM is in complete control and staff does nothing 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...