BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Easy pickings for thieves at Suvarnabhumi luggage carousels

Easy pickings for thieves at Suvarnabhumi luggage carousels

9pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that despite high level security and wide CCTV camera coverage the luggage carousels at Bangkok's main airport were being targeted by thieves. 

They said that some of these were easy pickings with the chance for thieves to make up to 300,000 baht. 

On Sunday the online version of the South China Morning Post featured a story about Chinese nationals stealing at Bangkok's principal airport. 

Two recent cases in November resulted in arrests after thieves arriving at the airport went to the wrong carousel for their flight and targeted expensive looking bags. 

But there are many cases of theft that go unresolved, said Thai Rath. 

They listed six tips from a local female police captain to help avoid becoming a victim.

Pol Capt Preeyakarn Saleeworarot advised passengers to go to the allotted carousel without delay, make sure your bag is clearly identifiable, has labels in Thai and English and airline tags. 

She further warned people not to have valuables in their loaded bags and not have third parties pick up luggage. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-03

Install the same process as used at Japanese airports.

Passengers claim their bags from the carousel then line up for an official to check the number on the tags put on the luggage at check-in at departing airport against the check-in stub given to the passenger at check-in (often stuck on to the back of the boarding pass or the passport).

As always in Japan it's checked carefully and nobody gets past these airport officials without this check.  

Pol Capt Preeyakarn Saleeworarot advised passengers to go to the allotted carousel without delay, make sure your bag is clearly identifiable, has labels in Thai and English and airline tags. 

This woman is a police captain? Seriously? 

Where does she think passengers are going if not to the carrousel? there is nowehere for them to go, except maybe to take a leak. If there is a delay it is because the  arriving pax are  in long immigration lines.

As for airline tags and labels, perhaps this genius may wish to familiarize herself with airline regulations; An airline baggage tag is mandatory. The airline baggage tag has the passenger name on it. And it is  unreasonable to expect  visitors to  have Thai language baggage tags.

Fix your security.

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Passengers claim their bags from the carousel then line up for an official to check the number on the tags ....

It's always been a complete mystery to me why this doesnt happen everywhere, as it seems to be the most basic of security procedures. But it doesnt happen here, or in the UK or in the US or in Portugal or indeed anywhere else that I can remember.

So full marks to Japan.

The delay is immigration

I flew in 4pm 2 weeks ago on a Sunday, immigration queues over 1 hour.

By then the carousel was just finishing being cleared of all bags by highly trained personnel when i got there!

By the amount of bags chucked in a pile,  i was one of the first!

Being told to go to the carousel without delay, when you are stuck in a queue halfway back down the airport to clear immigration is quite amusing. Sometimes it takes so long, thieves could have had your luggage away and sold the lot many miles down the road, before you even get there. 

Improving security might help, though it seems from the news reports we get, that a lot of thefts are committed by airport workers. When coming to Thailand, I never put anything valuable in my case.

With facial recognition technologies getting more sophisticated by the day, maybe soon, systems will be in place that take a picture at check-in and link the baggage tag numbers to that image.  Facial scanners at the exits of baggage claim could match faces to tags instantly.

30 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Passengers claim their bags from the carousel then line up for an official to check the number on the tags put on the luggage at check-in at departing airport against the check-in stub given to the passenger at check-in (often stuck on to the back of the boarding pass or the passport).

As always in Japan it's checked carefully and nobody gets past these airport officials without this check.  

In most countries checked baggage is generally inspected and checked at customs, but in Thailand customs checks are not regular.

Have face printed on your case:

image.png.f9816b151c65173d0d7e7a442d2a87db.pngimage.png.4d70aba378e59dcb317461f65db26767.png

Not your face, not your case

13 minutes ago, VYCM said:

In most countries checked baggage is generally inspected and checked at customs, ....

Not in my experience, as I mentioned above. And even if customs do check, I dont think they necessarily check that the luggage tag number matches the ticket stub number.

21 minutes ago, VYCM said:

In most countries checked baggage is generally inspected and checked at customs, but in Thailand customs checks are not regular.

You are day dreaming?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Pol Capt Preeyakarn Saleeworarot advised passengers to go to the allotted carousel without delay

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:.........well, it is glaringly obvious that she has never flown into Swampy on an International Flight....How do these people end up in positions of responsibility.

12 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

How do these people end up in positions of responsibility.

Like all government employees, they have to pay for it.

1 hour ago, dddave said:

With facial recognition technologies getting more sophisticated by the day, maybe soon, systems will be in place that take a picture at check-in and link the baggage tag numbers to that image.  Facial scanners at the exits of baggage claim could match faces to tags instantly.

Good idea, the chinese facial recognition software is so good they picked out a wanted man in a crowded music concert within minutes. Soon every government & corporation in the world will know your face, your emails, mobile phone contacts, your browsing history, your bank account, your political views, your crimes & fines, so you will be very safe.  ...as long as you don't disagree with the government.