Easy pickings for thieves at Suvarnabhumi luggage carousels

webfact

On 12/3/2018 at 2:35 AM, Dap said:
On 12/3/2018 at 12:20 AM, scorecard said:

Install the same process as used at Japanese airports.

Passengers claim their bags from the carousel then line up for an official to check the number on the tags put on the luggage at check-in at departing airport against the check-in stub given to the passenger at check-in (often stuck on to the back of the boarding pass or the passport).

As always in Japan it's checked carefully and nobody gets past these airport officials without this check.  

How could the security possibly be any easier than this? The inability to grasp such logic is astounding.

If you like the queue for immigration, you're really going to love the hour long queue to leave the baggage claim.  I've experienced it on several west coast airports in the USA.  I'd take my minuscule chances with the thieves in preference to the 100% certainty of yet another queue.

Sounds easy, but even sectioning off an existing area at BKK just to queue up will be a nightmare.   Simple solutions are often not easy to implement.

23 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Rule number 1. Unless you are bringing 30 pounds of cheddar or marmite or such, why do you need more than a carry on? 

because we usually bring 40-45 kilos of smoked sausages and ham with us from Germany. :smile:

marmite and cheddar? :glare:

I’m not dreaming, but I’m sure you are.

Working offshore I’ve travelled through more than 40 countries, the general process is once you pass immigration you collect your checked in baggage and then have it scanned by customs. This eliminates would be bag snatchers as they would be more concerned about the bags contents and getting questioned by the Customs officer.

To those of you that have only travelled UK (or whatever your home country) to Thailand I can understand your lack of knowledge – BTW, there is a world out there, you should travel someday.  

Thailand does not scan every bag, actually I rarely see customs officers when arriving.
I’m sure if customs did scan all incoming luggage it would reduce the number of thieves.

I think you are the dreamer my friend !!

I also have visited more than 40 countries and am struggling to think of any country that scans all bags except for Mexico when arriving from South America or the Caribbean ! When arriving in Mexico from other countries you are made to press a button, red for a scan , green for free to go with your bags ( or maybe even someone else’s ) .
Maybe some Arab countries do, I don’t recall.

The worst case I have found to be the US where members of the public ( ie non travelers) can enter the baggage claim area and leave without a scan .
Maybe doesn’t happen all over the US but I know for a fact it happens in Denver and Minneapolis !!

6 minutes ago, Naam said:

because we usually bring 40-45 kilos of smoked sausages and ham with us from Germany. :smile:

marmite and cheddar? :glare:

Thats fine. Put all the important sh*t in your carryon, and let some schnook make away with the Blutwurst und Teewurst und Zungenwurst und Schweinskopfsülze. Toss some Harzer Kase in there to aromatize. Nobody will want your bag. At least Marmite and Cheddar can be resold on Soi 6 in Pattaya

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats fine. Put all the important sh*t in your carryon, and let some schnook make away with the Blutwurst und Teewurst und Zungenwurst und Schweinskopfsülze. Toss some Harzer Kase in there to aromatize. Nobody will want your bag. At least Marmite and Cheddar can be resold on Soi 6 in Pattaya

Are you insinuating that the Brat and Cheese aren't important?  Most of the stuff in my carry-on, I can replace in Thailand.  Computer, cell phones, MP4 players, etc. 

Good Brat and Cheese?  No way.

Besides- with recent rule changes, my carry-on is chock full of everything that has a battery.  Even the low value stuff that used to go into checked bags.

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:
On 12/3/2018 at 5:20 PM, VYCM said:
I’m not dreaming, but I’m sure you are.

Working offshore I’ve travelled through more than 40 countries, the general process is once you pass immigration you collect your checked in baggage and then have it scanned by customs. This eliminates would be bag snatchers as they would be more concerned about the bags contents and getting questioned by the Customs officer.

To those of you that have only travelled UK (or whatever your home country) to Thailand I can understand your lack of knowledge – BTW, there is a world out there, you should travel someday.  

Thailand does not scan every bag, actually I rarely see customs officers when arriving.
I’m sure if customs did scan all incoming luggage it would reduce the number of thieves.

I think you are the dreamer my friend !!

I also have visited more than 40 countries and am struggling to think of any country that scans all bags except for Mexico when arriving from South America or the Caribbean ! When arriving in Mexico from other countries you are made to press a button, red for a scan , green for free to go with your bags ( or maybe even someone else’s ) .
Maybe some Arab countries do, I don’t recall.

The worst case I have found to be the US where members of the public ( ie non travelers) can enter the baggage claim area and leave without a scan .
Maybe doesn’t happen all over the US but I know for a fact it happens in Denver and Minneapolis !!

I too travel all over... I only recall the baggage tag being checked against my Baggage Receipt at Jakarta Airport.

Another poster mentioned Japan, I've flown into Handed 5 times over the past few years and don't recall checks there either. 

Airports may make us pass our baggage through a Customs X-ray or even 'glance' at the bag as we pass, but I've never had to show my Baggage Receipt against my Baggage Tag before exiting the airport. 

In NZ a guy took my bag by mistake (an honest mistake it was the same model of bag)... he dropped my bag off at my hotel (with a bottle of wine as apology), so I guess its very easily done and has always seemed like a 'gap in security'.

That said.... it could make terrible queues at Bangkoks Airports if every tag had to be checked. 

However, its not so painful in Jakarta, but there are far less arrivals. 

6 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Just a question Naam. You never get checked, or they don't make an issue about food items?

the Mrs. was checked a couple of years ago and explained she's a vegetarian and all the food stuff is for her Thai friends. she thinks it also made difference that everything was neatly vacuum packed and sealed. in >40 years visiting Thailand as a tourist and living permanently since 13 years i never opened a suitcase for Thai customs.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In NZ a guy took my bag by mistake (an honest mistake it was the same model of bag)... he dropped my bag off at my hotel (with a bottle of wine as apology), so I guess its very easily done and has always seemed like a 'gap in security'.

a few years ago, arriving from Hong Kong i picked up the suitcase of a japanese tourist. luckily he and his wife were visiting Pattaya. we invited them for dinner in our home and had a good time. 

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

only igorants would import what you listed. "Schweine-Dieter" in Udon Thani delivers the same quality.

http://www.schweine-dieter.com/index.php?language=de&site=inhalt_list&module=metzgerei_master

what he doesn't deliver is venison, wild boar ham, smoked wild duck, red deer salami and a variety of other goodies which are nowhere available in Thailand.

On 12/3/2018 at 1:20 PM, scorecard said:

Passengers claim their bags from the carousel then line up for an official to check the number on the tags put on the luggage at check-in at departing airport against the check-in stub given to the passenger at check-in (often stuck on to the back of the boarding pass or the passport).

As always in Japan it's checked carefully and nobody gets past these airport officials without this check.  

I didn't see anybody checking my luggage in Tokyo Narita.

And the ground staff on Suvarnabhumi can't speak a word english....very sad.

2 hours ago, Naam said:

only igorants would import what you listed. "Schweine-Dieter" in Udon Thani delivers the same quality.

http://www.schweine-dieter.com/index.php?language=de&site=inhalt_list&module=metzgerei_master

what he doesn't deliver is venison, wild boar ham, smoked wild duck, red deer salami and a variety of other goodies which are nowhere available in Thailand.

Thanks for the link, now I have to go to Udon and get fatter.

Anyway, put that good stuff then in your carry on ????

On 12/3/2018 at 6:53 AM, VYCM said:

In most countries checked baggage is generally inspected and checked at customs, but in Thailand customs checks are not regular.

really? i'm a fairly extensive traveller and only in Japan have i seen this done...?

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, scorecard said:

This system also used in Vietnam but seems like they are too lazy to do it here aka don't care about people's luggage

13 hours ago, impulse said:

If you like the queue for immigration, you're really going to love the hour long queue to leave the baggage claim.  I've experienced it on several west coast airports in the USA.  I'd take my minuscule chances with the thieves in preference to the 100% certainty of yet another queue.

Sounds easy, but even sectioning off an existing area at BKK just to queue up will be a nightmare.   Simple solutions are often not easy to implement.

I on the other hand (after 40 years of flying) have never been in your situation. Security guard at the door checked baggage ticket with my stub and off I went. Never had a line more than 2 or 3 folks and can't remember ever waiting more than a few moments. Guess I've just been lucky.

Archived