Getting Married today in Bangkok

Robbie63

Well this has been an experience the last few days. If you want to get married you have to go to Bang Rak no other place will do the Marriage. We had originally planned to go to Bang Rak and the wifey got some information needed translator and some other things. I looked on Thai Visa and saw a post about Thong lo and we decided to go there. My papers were in order but they claimed they had to contact my embassy USA could take up to 30 days. Back to Thai Visa and Ratchterwi came up so we went there today they no longer do any marriages at all. They said you have to go to Bang Rak so we did they checked my papers everything okay can come back now Dec 25 earliest opening done booked it. So if anyone is in my boat that is what you have to do.

8 hours ago, steve187 said:

things have changed when i married we went to the office and all sorted in an hour, no appointments required

True, Thai son got married at Phaya Thai local office about 10 years back, he called in advance to check what documents, no appointment just walked in, walked out all done about 30 m later.

Two years on, son and wife went back to same office for divorce, initially the officer tried to tell my son he had to give a large settlement (e.g. a house and big cash - note: the amphur officer noticed that his family name was western and commented about 'farang big money'). Son said just a moment and called his buddy a practicing lawyer. lawyer spoke to amphur lady (on speaker phone) and first asked her 'have you ever studies the Thai law re divorce? Embarrassed 'no', then lawyer informed her there is no law whatever about compulsory settlements. Amphur lady immediately changed the subject and completed the divorce certificate. All done, walked out, total time 30 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, roquefort said:

We tied the knot at Amphur Pra Kanong 15 years ago. Very straightforward and no queues, but things have probably changed since then.

Isn't the name Bang Rak supposed to be lucky?

Yes that's my understanding, the Bang Rak amphur office is considered to be a lucky place to get married.

Note, the quick translation of 'bang rak' is 'district of love'.

Got married in Din Deang office last October. Absolutely no problems. Made an appointment a couple of days in advance, first one in the queue.
A senior civil servant used to occasion as a training opportunity for a junior colleague, so it took a bit longer than I'd anticipated but no big deal.

1 hour ago, Robbie63 said:

Thanks for all your comments

I got married in the British Embassy 31 years ago. After the paperwork was issued we went to the end of the road for translation into Thai then the district office for the Thai documents. Done and dusted in just a few hours. I'm getting used to it????

12 years ago it was like going to the Post Office ! Just went to the local Amphur, showed minimal paperwork, done in around 30 minutes, no waiting, no fuss, and no ceremony.

Painless and the best move I ever made, and yes 12 years on and still feel I was right and made a good decision.????

4 hours ago, TGIR said:

Me too.  Thirty years and counting.  

Me three!  Twenty years together, ten of those legally married (at Bangrak).  What disappointed me was the complete lack of ceremony.  But I suppose they get accustomed to it.

Anyway, best thing I ever did.  Hope you and your wife have a damn good Xmas Day!  Cheers!  UW.

10 years ago... (or is it, 9, or 8... not sure)...  my Wife and I attempted to get the legal part of our Wedding legalized at the local amuphur office...

With all documents in hand we were told we needed a Translator... I knew that, my Wife and I agreed that while my Thai is not excellent, its not bad either. 

The staff didn't really like this, so when they 'interviewed me'  (asked me the questions on the paper questionnaire at Bang Rak), they asked me in Thai "when did I come to Thailand?", I answered, "10 years ago", they asked again, again and I answered "I came to Thailand 10 years ago" - I was then told that they couldn't Marry us as I had answered incorrectly.... after an interesting discussion (in Thai !) I established that they wanted to know 'on which date I came to Thailand'.... I argued that their question was not specific... (in Thai !!)... but alas, they had already decided they didn't like us and implied that my Wife might be duping me into Marriage !!!!

We called a Thai friend, but he could hear them in the background and advised 'forget it, the officer we were dealing with has a terrible attitude'.....  

So... my Wife and I fast tracked over to Bang-Rak and were married within 15mins of arriving !... (it quite frightened me how easy that part of it was !!!)

---------

Follow up: At the Original Amphur office, when pressed, the officer we were dealing with would not give us her name, so I managed to get hold of her Supervisors Name (I forget his position) - My Father in Law dealt with that side of things later on that evening - we got an apology... but I was still quite furious at the treatment we'd initially received. 

What I learned that day... Sometimes when dealing with people, especially in Thailand... an instant decision is made regarding whether or not they like me (us)... on most occasions I find things to work incredibly well in my favor and people are always more than happy to go out of their way to assist, be this in a government office, a business, the work environment or just day to day life... but this was one of those times someone just decided they didn't like me and chose to make life a little difficult... the only thing to do in this situation is accept it for what it, you're not going to win, you're dealing with a pig.... walk off to find a better solution.... 

On 12/4/2018 at 11:26 PM, UniqueWord said:

Me three!  Twenty years together, ten of those legally married (at Bangrak).  What disappointed me was the complete lack of ceremony.  But I suppose they get accustomed to it. Anyway, best thing I ever did.  Hope you and your wife have a damn good Xmas Day!  Cheers!  UW.

Thank you.  Here's our story for those on the way to the same adventure.  We had corresponded as pen pals for six months before I took the plunge and flew from San Francisco to Bangkok to meet my "friend" and potential wife.  Also my first trip overseas.  Eight days later, after meeting her family and being "approved" (I didn't know the meeting was to be my approval interview but luckily passed muster anyway). A couple of days later we visited a lawyer recommended by my wife's Uncle, the head of the family locally.  Her parents and close family lived in Baan Me.  We found out we both had to go to the American Embassy (separately), did that and got the necessary paperwork then on another day we went somewhere downtown Bangkok to what would by the County Recorder's office in Calif. and paid a few baht, signed the registry and were "officially" married.  The next day we went to the Buddhist Hospital, paid homage to the sick by jointly offering a meal to one of the young men in his bed.  Then we went somewhere else and had an official blessing with three other couples, and were rained on by the presiding Monk......he was pleasantly over zealous with the water.  Her Aunt, who raised her, and a couple of her sisters attended as well. Finally that evening we had a buffet for 50 in a nice little hotel downtown where I stayed the length of my visit, which included the "string blessing" and many of my wifes relatives and friends.  Our whole courtship, marriage and honeymoon took place in 13 days.  The most pleasant and rewarding 13 days of my life I think.  One last thing for those who think Thailand is mostly for drinking and chasing hookers......we weren't allowed to be alone except for timed fifteen minute visits to my hotel room when she came to get me in the mornings.  No exhibiting affection or touching publicly.  While we spent the entire day together, it was home by nine or so, because she had to work the next day.  She was just 31 and had been trying to find a good job for several years after graduating from University.......unfortunately for her she had just landed her best job as a writer for the Girl Scout's association and had to quit two months later to move to America.  After the wedding we spent five days in the hotel together then I flew home.  She had applied for, with the lawyer, a "90 day Fiance Visa" to go to America which astoundingly got approved in 30 days.  She took her first flight, arriving on Thanksgiving Day 1988.  Then we got married again!  I could write a book about all of it.......at 45 and having been married three times already I thought I would never, ever, be as happy as we have been.  So here's to those of you intending the same adventure......good luck and I hope you fared as well as us and the UW's.

On 12/4/2018 at 7:05 AM, roo860 said:

We got married at Bang Rak on Valentine's day quite a few years ago, fantastic day! We were number 545, over 900 couples married that day . We even won the dancing competition!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well done. Only 1 entrant that day but a wins a win!

Archived