Searching for a school which hire african teachers without any problems.

BrakkaToss

Hello,

My collegue just got fired because of her skin colour and nationality (ugandian). It’s quite hard to find a place where people would treat someone like that with respect.

Does anyone know a school or an agency which hires african teachers? She has all required documentation, degrees, teaching licenses.

Any information regarding this would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Africans also have issues getting visas in the nearby countries.  A Ugandan Science teacher I know had to go back to his home counry to get a new visa!  Schools that care about having legal teachers and are aware of this difficulty may be reluctant to hire Africans.

Her score is 725 and she had 35k salary. What is the name of that school?

Sarasas schools give 35k as a starting salary. At least in Bangkok and Kanchanaburi. They usually provide with housing or housing allowance too.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:55 PM, BrakkaToss said:

My collegue just got fired because of her skin colour and nationality (ugandian).

If she was hired in the first place, then skin colour and nationality were not a factor in her hiring process, so it difficult to believe that skin colour and nationality was the reason she was fired.  Just saying.

22 hours ago, connda said:

If she was hired in the first place, then skin colour and nationality were not a factor in her hiring process, so it difficult to believe that skin colour and nationality was the reason she was fired.  Just saying.

I was going to ask the same.  The OP should come clean and state more clearly why she was fired.  Clearly, it was not because of her skin color.

On 12/11/2018 at 11:51 AM, connda said:

I am NOT saying this is the case but most applicants from these nations typically have fake documents in relation to their academics. It is quite possible the school made simple checks and found that the paperwork submitted was false.

B4 you jump on me, yes, I have first hand experience of this and it wasn't just one applicant. If you inform that you need a certain type of degree, they will turn up with that exact degree. A group in my local town were found with printing gear and stamps to create degrees where necessary. They were crude and could be easily spotted by a NES eye but most applications went through the faculty who are Thai.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 3:51 PM, thequietman said:

I am NOT saying this is the case but most applicants from these nations typically have fake documents in relation to their academics. It is quite possible the school made simple checks and found that the paperwork submitted was false.

B4 you jump on me, yes, I have first hand experience of this and it wasn't just one applicant. If you inform that you need a certain type of degree, they will turn up with that exact degree. A group in my local town were found with printing gear and stamps to create degrees where necessary. They were crude and could be easily spotted by a NES eye but most applications went through the faculty who are Thai.

Hear, hear. I have had similar experiences... Add to that the often abysmal ability of certain folks posing as teachers. One guy was 21 and claimed to have had experience and "a degree in English". Give him a networked PC and 2 hours time and he wouldn't manage to write a simple lesson plan.

There are home-grown talents starting at about 10,000 THB. TOEIC scores near 900, I would bet. CHULA educated, passionate about teaching. But hey, the lady had to stay in a dorm and the teacher from Uganda with his 540 TOEIC score got a house + 28,000 THB...

In Vienna, a Japanese musician won a Mozart competition behind a curtain. Thai talent deserve a fair chance as well.

My guess is that she was teaching in a kindergarten. If so, a high TOEIC score wouldn't be that important.

I'm also guessing that some parents complained about their kids being taught by a black woman. The amount of racism in Asia is insane.

My suggestion is that she looks for work in kindergartens that have a history of hiring non-native speakers. Good luck to her and I can't imagine how she feels. 

• 2 months later...

Archived