Income Affidavit for annual Retirement extension

Hello all,

I know this topic has been beat to death, but here is my thinking. I've read all the "hand-outs" and "fact sheets" and have visited the Thai Immigration website.

My retirement extension expires in early June of 2019. When I extended it last June 2018 at the IO in Chanthaburi City, I presented them with the standard U.S. Embassy monthly income verification affidavit. They seemed okay with it, but asked for supporting documentation to the amount stated on the affidavit. This was my first extension without an agent, so to be cautious, I brought with me online bank statement from my U.S. bank where all of my retirement payments are direct deposited. It was easy to see that the monthly pension and Social Security deposits added up to the total monthly amount stated on the affidavit. 

I was all set to make the arduous four hour bus ride to Bangkok to get an affidavit for my June 2019 extension (which I could do in May) as the affidavit would only be 5 months old and still valid.  But if the U.S. Embassy and Thai Immigration are categorically stating that this affidavit will no longer be required in 2019 going forward, what is the point in getting one now for next year's renewal?

I have seen nothing from the U.S. Embassy or Thai Immigration to indicate the demise of the monthly income method as one of the two principal ways of meeting the Thai income requirements. In which case I will need to provide documentation to support my claim of 65,000 Thai baht or more of monthly income. I can do this easily with bank statements and 1099's from my U.S. pensions. I also have seen nothing to indicate that this monthly income has to be deposited into a Thai bank, just proof that I am receiving it. 

Since the income affidavits will no longer be required next year, why go to the extreme inconvenience of obtaining one now. Just be sure you have as much supporting documentation as is practical when you apply for your 2019 annual Retirement Extension. Immigration won't need (or want) the income affidavit. 

I can still go get one, here in December, but again, at great inconvenience. I don't see the point. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That Phuket Immigration story had you confused due to incorrect wording. It should have read: "income letter not accepted", rather than "income letter not required". Here's the wording that made up the backbone of that particular media report:

“Of course this letter is no longer needed if the embassy no longer issues it,” Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Lt Col Archeep Jaroensuntisuk explained to The Phuket News today (Nov 22).

“However, the foreigner applying for the visa (or permit-to-stay) will still have to prove that they have the funds to stay in the country, such as by showing bank statements that prove the foreigner has B800,000 in a Thai bank account,” he said.

He's saying they need to see 800k in a Thai bank account with no other options suggested.

That Phuket office is proving to be very harsh. There's a good chance the rest of the nation won't follow their lead. Currently, only 4 embassies have discontinued offering letters (by varying cut-off dates), so what of the rest of the world's embassies?

The only fact I know is that no one knows for sure what is going to happen next year.

In the meanwhile, I'll be getting my letter soon to use at the end of June for a July extension application, hoping they will be accepted at that stage. I wouldn't wait for answers - get it while you can. The Australian Embassy stop providing "letters" as of January 7 (they say from January 7), so that leaves only January 2, 3 and 4 to get "letters". I noticed they have added an extra 6 appointment slots on those 3 days, starting at 8:30 am instead of 10 am. They're obviously expecting a rush, although nearly all the slots are still available.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i, for one am not counting on the letter, ( which have been using the combo  method for 12 years)  being accepted for end of june renewal.

if u do and they dont accept it, ur screwed,

Better to put the 800,000 in the bank 3 months in advance and save the $50 for the letter.

Truth of the matter;

If you dont have the 800,000 or cant get it....make plans to be heading out

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

I love that euphemism 'use an agent'. You are paying a bribe.

So many posts, from a few members, pushing to use Agents, that I would not be surprised that some of these members have interest in such illegal practice.... by example a wife running a "Visa Agency" :whistling:

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Direct deposit to a Bangkok Bank account via their New York branch has been possible for many years now.

See: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

Effective this month Thailand is now on the SSA's list of countries for International Direct Deposits.

Topic here about it. 

Thanks. the notice made it sound " working will be in affect late January "  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jesimps said:

If it was a case of paying a bribe or being parted from their wife and kids then I wouldn't condemn anyone for paying a bribe.

I don't condemn anyone if they feel their only option is -- if it really is their only option -- to pay a bribe as long as they don't spout pleasantries about it being something other than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The lady I've used for past years (she previously worked at immigration for 10 years+) that I pay for doing the leg work has told me in recent days:  go get your stat dec before years out and I can get your RV extension with that in March.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

It's hardly a bribe. It's a service offered for a set fee

The set fee per Ministerial Regulation as in Section 35 of the Immigration Act is 1900 baht. Anything above and beyond that is a bribe.

11 hours ago, tropo said:

That Phuket Immigration story had you confused due to incorrect wording. It should have read: "income letter not accepted", rather than "income letter not required". Here's the wording that made up the backbone of that particular media report:

“Of course this letter is no longer needed if the embassy no longer issues it,” Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Lt Col Archeep Jaroensuntisuk explained to The Phuket News today (Nov 22).

“However, the foreigner applying for the visa (or permit-to-stay) will still have to prove that they have the funds to stay in the country, such as by showing bank statements that prove the foreigner has B800,000 in a Thai bank account,” he said.

He's saying they need to see 800k in a Thai bank account with no other options suggested.

Nonsense. Since when does "such as" exclude all other options? He just mentioned it as one option without giving a complete list of all options. Giving an exhaustive list clearly wasn't the intent of the statement. That said, I sure wish they would say publicly that bank statements showing regular monthly deposits will be accepted. They do keep saying over and over that 800,000 in the bank will do it. Yeah, we get that already.  Can't someone in authority publish a list of acceptable documentation?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

The set fee per Ministerial Regulation as in Section 35 of the Immigration Act is 1900 baht. Anything above and beyond that is a bribe.

No, it's a fee for services rendered. They offer the service and set the price. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Nonsense.  Since when does "such as" exclude all other options? He just mentioned it as one option without giving a complete list of all options. Giving an exhaustive list clearly wasn't the intent of the statement. That said, I sure wish they would say publicly that bank statements showing regular monthly deposits will be accepted. They do keep saying over and over that 800,000 in the bank will do it. Yeah, we get that already.  Can't someone in authority publish a list of acceptable documentation?

Nonsense! It's all pretty clear and the headline is nonsense. The rest is a lot of wishful thinking on your part. BTW, I hope you're right.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

But if the service you're paying for with that fee includes an illegal act by the agent/other persons then you are a party to it.

But if the service you're paying for with that fee includes an illegal act by the agent/other persons then you are a party to it.

22 minutes ago, tropo said:
52 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

No, it's a fee for services rendered. They offer the service and set the price

And the services rendered are those services as prescribed in Section 35 of the Immigration Act where it says:

The Director General or the competent official deputized by the Director General shall have the authority to permit the alien, who entered to stay temporarily in the Kingdom under Section 34, to remain in the Kingdom under any prescribed conditions. 

And the fee for these services rendered is in the Ministerial Regulations as 1900 baht and anything above that is a bribe. 

Edited by JLCrab

1 hour ago, LawrenceN said:

Nonsense. Since when does "such as" exclude all other options? He just mentioned it as one option without giving a complete list of all options. Giving an exhaustive list clearly wasn't the intent of the statement. That said, I sure wish they would say publicly that bank statements showing regular monthly deposits will be accepted. They do keep saying over and over that 800,000 in the bank will do it. Yeah, we get that already.  Can't someone in authority publish a list of acceptable documentation?

I fully agree, "such as" means stating an example of what will work, not necessarily excluding other options, "such as" the monthly income method.  But this option is already clearly stated on the Thai Immigration Bureau's website, https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22. And no mention that it has to be deposited into a Thai bank account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1