Video: Moroccan caught on CCTV is arrested after two thefts in Chiang Mai

webfact

Video: Moroccan caught on CCTV is arrested after two thefts in Chiang Mai 

5pm.jpg

Police in Chiang Mai made a quick arrest after CCTV footage showed the same thief at work in the city on Monday evening. 

First the man is seen going into Pantip Plaza just before 8pm. A minute later he comes out but this time he has a black backpack. 

An hour and a half later CCTV footage at the Overstand Coffee Old City shop the same man cases the joint before making off with a woman's bag. 

The first victim was a 24 year old Italian tourist called Mr Tumiati who was in KFC at Pantip. He lost 500 Euros and 8,000 baht, credit cards and documents. 

In the second case the victim was a Thai woman called Phusada, 35, from Mae Rim. She lost 3,000 baht and a phone. 

Cops traced the thief and found out he was a 53 year old Moroccan national called Hassan who was staying at VIP House in Ratchadamnern Soi 2. He had 18,200 baht in his possession.

The police said that Hassan is responsible for many thefts in tourist areas and was pretending to be a tourist. 

Following the first theft he dumped the bag and exchanged the Euros at a booth 200 meters from Pantip. After the second theft he tossed the phone and bag at the Tha Pae gate. 

He has been detained and charged with theft during the hours of darkness and receiving stolen goods. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-04

3 hours ago, damascase said:

‘Charged with theft during the hours of darkness’: a more - or less - serious crime than theft during daylight? Just wondering.............

Most countries distinguish between night time and daytime crimes with more severe penalties for the former.  In my home state, "Breaking & entering" in the night time will get 5 years and up, same crime in the daytime gets 3 years maximum.

54 minutes ago, dddave said:

Most countries distinguish between night time and daytime crimes with more severe penalties for the former.  In my home state, "Breaking & entering" in the night time will get 5 years and up, same crime in the daytime gets 3 years maximum.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that. Different from my country of origin, no distinction.

18 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Yeah, why not? Tar brush a whole nation with two words - "these people". So easy - and so true, eh?

Go to southern europe and see it and experience it for yourself, or ask Spaniard. 

Archived