BANGKOK 22 July 2019 17:33
CharlieH

If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? (2018)

Trying to get my head around Tipper's concept of a pretty song. I think I've got it. It should have a memorable tune, something to sing along to, perhaps when half-cut or more, but it shouldn't be too sad or depressing, that would spoil the ambience.

On that basis

Tippers had Chestnut Mare , a wonderful song. Here's another, so pretty and irresistible.

• Like 1

You got it, bannork!!  Nice examples, especially the Al Stewart tune.  It's easier for me to give examples than it is to put into words.  Slow songs.  Certainly nothing raucous.  No hard rock.  Love songs are often good candidates (no pussy whipped songs, though).  Love doesn't necessarily have to be about male/female relationships.  Charming, soft melodies.  Excellent lyrics.  The Byrds Chestnut Mare, for instance.  The song is about the love of a man and a horse.  Very moving.  Emotional.  You got it right, bannork . . . a certain ambiance.

Here's another example I post on the other thread.

• Like 1

Here's another example.  Wild Theme performed live by Dire Straits in Les Arenes, Nimes, France on September 29, 1992.  I mean, it's such a pretty song.  It generates a certain loving emotion for me.

Go From My Window by Steeleye Span off their '96 release, Time.  Another pretty song.  Yeah, something you could sing to, or even just hum.

• Like 1

Another great pretty song, Last Kiss, this version by Pearl Jam.

Neil's got a lot of pretty songs.  I've been Waiting For You, off of his '69 solo debut.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Here’s a pretty one.

Well pretty hair at least emoji51.png

Three thumbs up!

This is definitely a pretty song.
Even my dear old mum liked this one !!

• Like 1

A pretty song from Elton from, IMHO, one of his greatest albums.

• Like 2

Ray LaMantagne's live version of Empty from a BBC show back in '08 or '09.  What a pretty song!!!  He added the slide guitar to this live performance which wasn't on the studio cut.  Simply perfect.

• Like 2

One of my favourite Elton John pretty songs, Tiny Dancer, off his '71 Madman Across The Water LP.

• Like 1

Now this is a pretty song . . . Wolves by Phosphorescent from his 2007 release, Pride.  The antiquated vid, even though it's with huskies rather than wolves, is perfect.

• Like 2

Donovan made a lot of pretty songs.  Colours is an especially pretty tune, from his What's Bin Did And What's Bin Hid LP released in '65.