If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? (2018)

CharlieH

yeah, I had high hopes at one time and thought that Daniel in Nicaragua was a hero...but him and Rosario have become like the Macbeths...went to VN and saw that the rich folks were all ex VNCP that used their contacts to get rich while there is extreme poverty and even starvation in the neglected rural areas...very sobering...

one hasta make up new heros these days from the remnants of the past but Ho Chi Minh, Fidel and che are constant, they fought to the end...

and them dumb UK village plods with my wanted poster never scared me none...I'm from LA where you deal with a heavily armed robot that will kill ye with a false move, you keep yer hands where they can see them and then yer OK...but I'm an old man and nothin' scares me much these days...

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking about J.R Tolkien, his grandson taught me Latin at public school in '68 or '69. He cut a bizarre figure in his gown and extreme short back and sides. This was the hippy era so long hair was de rigueur but he just seemed to enjoy standing out. For such a severe looking figure he spoke very quietly. There was something remote about him, almost other worldly,.

Anyway enough on that or Stephen Fry from the year below might reply. He was in the German class if I remember right, ja das ist richtig.

Here's a nice song.

23 minutes ago, bannork said:

Not many people know David Bowie wrote a song about Tutsi.

He looked a lot like Che Guevara, drove a diesel van
Kept his gun in quiet seclusion, such a humble man
The only survivor of the National People's Gang
Panic in Detroit, I asked for an autograph
He wanted to stay home, I wish someone would phone
Panic in Detroit

He laughed at accidental sirens that broke the evening gloom
The police had warned of repercussions
They followed none too soon
A trickle of strangers were all that were left alive
Panic in Detroit, I asked for an autograph
He wanted to stay home, I wish someone would phone
Panic in Detroit

Putting on some clothes I made my way to school
And I found my teacher crouching in his overalls
I screamed and ran to smash my favorite slot machine
And jumped…

555555555555555!  Great one, bannork.  So fitting!  And a great tune, as well!!

17 minutes ago, bannork said:

Talking about J.R Tolkien, his grandson taught me Latin at public school in '68 or '69. He cut a bizarre figure in his gown and extreme short back and sides. This was the hippy era so long hair was de rigueur but he just seemed to enjoy standing out. For such a severe looking figure he spoke very quietly. There was something remote about him, almost other worldly,.

Anyway enough on that or Stephen Fry from the year below might reply. He was in the German class if I remember right, ja das ist richtig.

Here's a nice song.

Great Norwegian band.  They've got a lot of very excellent material.

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Here's a nice song.

interesting, madrugada is spanish for sunrise and is interchangeable with alba meaning the same thing...here's a song by Jorge Cafrune, an argentine leading light of the nueva cancion movement in the 60s - 70s later to be brutally murdered by the dictators, funded and encouraged by the US CIA just like the more well known Victor Jara in Chile...the cobardes smashed Victor's hands with rifle butts before they killed him and then said play now you communist bastard...and the world ain't finished with them yet...

this song is a gaucho zamba (as opposed to a brasilian carnival samba) and Cafrune was known as a gaucho singer...he was of arab extraction...he was my hero, his guitar couldn't be beat...could never play like him but I got the strumming dicked...a big musical influence in 1965...

Hombres all, you must have realised by now that

I am the slowest poster in the world, indeed a

sign of the unexceptional. I envy your life experiences

and regret that I didn't get out more, however

I was determined to make a million before I

reached 80, I achieved this, but it was in Baht,

so I am the unusual skint millionaire.

Every business I started lasted only 10 years

and flopped, now I just mind my own business.

Which is more than can be said by people taking

the 'p' out of my UK Essex dumb village plod,

I'll have you know, he was handpicked for my

particular village.      Oops.

Continuing with my beloved SA theme....

I really liked Black velvet and Stop as they both had solid traditional licks...reminds me of a time in high school when between classes I was doodlin' with someones acoustic guitar and then a girl I knew nudged me and hummed a few bars and we clicked...she started in with a traditional song that I can't remember and I got behind her with the guitar and we started to roll...she knew how to sing and could really belt it out...

pretty soon we had a crowd including some teachers and then some school admins came and looked as they thought that there was a disturbance that they needed to control...we segued more upbeat and burned it down...the girl had obviously performed before...

the school admins couldn't control what were were doin' and it was a triumph of a sort...the football coaches were flexing patriotic muscles impotently...

a rebellious tutsiwarrior with che guevara all over him...the fascist football coaches 'it's that commie punk tutsiwarrior again, I knew it...' and the liberal teachers gloated...an AK47 on full auto couldn't have done it any better...

memorable times in 1968 in California...

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

The Meteors - Ain't Gonna Bring Me Down [1981]

Now that got my heart racing much more than my usual daily rigorous physical therapy routine.  And I didn't even have to get off the couch!  Well done, DB.

Cool!  Now that you're back from where ever pre-Internet world you were confined to and are again ready to resume your duties here (which, in your absence, I tried my best to fulfill) I can now fade back into insignificance.  Tough job, mate.  My grass is 8" tall due to your truancy and I'm off to mow it today.

The Blasters doin' Marie Marie from '81.  Rockabilly at it's finest.

Archived