Blasts From The Past - 50S,60S And 70S Music (2018)

CharlieH

3 hours ago, bannork said:

In those opening 4 minutes I reckon I spotted Tippers, Tutsi, Morrobay and Andrew's Mum.

huh? isle of wight? sounds like someone left out a consonant or 2...I musta been in CA somewhere closer to the center of the universe...like in Berkeley during the invasion of Cambodia in May 1970...

and I wouldn't knock the sound track from West Side Story...with music by Leonard Bernstein and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim pretty hard to beat...still one of my favorites...

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got waaaaaay too much work to spend time on here :sad: but then life can be rough sometimes.  Still listen to tunes while I work and bookmark 'em for when I finally make my reappearance.  I've gotta make an exception to my rule this once and post back-to-back tunes from a Dead concert from '77 live at the Coliseum, University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa.  Play this good and loud and please do drink a beer for me.  If everyone does this I should be good and drunk.

GuitarPlaying.gif?width=590&height=370&f  Motocy.gif?width=590&height=370&fit=boun  Drinking-CheersTwo.gif?width=590&height=  Dancing.gif?width=590&height=370&fit=bou  Khall.gif?width=590&height=370&fit=bound  Hippie.gif?width=590&height=370&fit=boun  PeaceSign.gif?width=590&height=370&fit=b  Boobs.gif?width=590&height=370&fit=bound  Party.gif?width=590&height=370&fit=bound

Europe '72 has got to be one of my top Dead LP's, maybe because it brings back so many great memories of rolling down the highway, listening to music and smoking dubers, heading out on yet another camping trip.  Once I was on a trip out west with a friend and as we hit Salt Lake City night was beginning to fall.  My buddy happened to know a guy who lived up in the mountains just east of the city and suggested we spend the night there. Up the mountains we climbed and when we got to this guy's cabin there wasn't any light emanating from any of the windows.  My buddy checked around but the place was deserted.  We weren't even sure this was the right place as my friend had only been there once.

So where to now?  It was pitch black out, we didn't know the area, so we decided to just pull off the road, get the sleeping bags and tarps out, and call it a night.  No sooner did we bed down than it started to rain.  Nothing heavy, more of a drizzle.  My friend grabbed his bag and went off to sleep in the car.  Mind you we were driving a Volkswagen bug and I wasn't about to sleep in it even if I had the whole car to myself.  So I told him to throw me his tarp, which I pulled over me.  It never did rain much.  Woke up the next morning to a bright sunshiny day not knowing at all where we were.  My eyes popped open to realize that we were high up the side of the mountain facing the valley below, with the mountain range encircling us to the north.  What an absolutely stunning view we had.  Sunshine daydream indeed!!

Tippers in fine form, playing some classics. I first heard The Dead's Europe 72 when I was living in a caravan in The Shetlands working on a building site for the princely sum of 100 pounds a week- good money back then, due to North Sea oil. The caravan was in a field of cows and for some reason, they'd start eating the grass in the early hours. Their eyesight must have been poor because every so often they'd bump into the caravan with an almighty bang, waking me and my mate up.

Here's a song by Michael Chapman. He's been accused of being boring, but it's not his fault, he's from Leeds.

Here's a song by Michael Chapman. He's been accused of being boring, but it's not his fault, he's from Leeds.

How dare you !!

How very dare you !!

I’ll have you know Leeds has produced some of the country’s finest musicians , more than Liverpool by a big margin ([emoji12]) !!

Here’s a fine example of one of Leeds finest sons changing music history.......... forever !!

P.S. I resisted the urge to post Malc Almond and Soft Cell [emoji16]

On 5/28/2019 at 9:40 PM, bannork said:

Jeez, moving stuff

Talk about fine form!  Beautiful tune there bannork.  Here's Janis' first recording, What Good Can Drinkin' Do, recorded at home back in '62.  A bit raw but her talent is evident.

Archived