What movies or TV shows are you watching (2018)

CharlieH

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reviews are useful and time saving, better to read a couple of paragrahs than watch something and THEN make youer mind up , not all reviewers are good but some are more reliable than others so its good to sort out the ones you feel comfortable with and feel you can trust , the site  'metacritic' is good one it has links to all reviews pro and amatuer and gives an 'average' score which again is useful, and as for sounding intellectual, i know what you mean however ALL 'arts/disciplines have their own language/ termanology  and the nearer the 'top of the tree' or the core of  the 'industry/subject  the more they use it 

Each to their own. I will read reviews (primarily to get the gist of a plot if the summary for the actual film / series is too evasive) but having missed things in the past that I wrote off as a result of bad reviews, only to give it a shot and found I liked it and, as a result of rave reviews, having sat an endured loads absolute rubbish, I have zero interest in reviews being a determining factor as to whether I'll watch something.   

Case in point for me recently was The Vice. Rave reviews on IMDb when I checked to actually see what it was about in some greater depth. Really the the biggest croc of crap I've tried to watch in ages. Switched it off after about 30 minutes. Could have been a good movie, ended up being a ramshackle mishmash of snippets held together by boring flashbacks and totally out of place 'comedy' takes that didn't work at all, let alone as well as his other movie The Big Short. But hey, the reviewers loved it. Tastes vary. I thought it sucked. If others choose to not watch something simply because IMDb only gives it a 6, entirely up to them.

Reviews aren't the be all and end all, but they are a useful guide.

If something has mixed reviews and I'm interested in the topic, I'll give it a crack.

But, if something keeps getting panned by just about everyone, I'll give it a miss.

For me, there's just too much good stuff out there to waste time on crap.

7 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Reviews aren't the be all and end all for, but they are a useful guide.

Iif something has mixed reviews and I'm interested in the topic, I'll give it a crack.

But, if something keeps getting panned by just about everyone, I'll give it a miss.

For me, there's just too much good stuff out there to waste time on crap.

But don't ever forget that what one man considers crap, another considers fertilizer,

15 minutes ago, newatthis said:

But don't ever forget that what one man considers crap, another considers fertilizer,

True, we all have different tastes and opinions.

Having said that, I've never seen something with really bad reviews be very good.

I know what I like and there are some good reviewers that I rate.

Elite Squad: The Enemy Within.

Not many recent movies are doing it for me.
Watched this one today (with subs) from 2010 and it was pretty good.

Summary: After a prison riot, former-Captain Nascimento, now a high ranking security officer in Rio de Janeiro,
is swept into a bloody political dispute that involves government officials and paramilitary groups.

Can you tell me where you got this Will.
I dl’d an 8gb subbed copy from RAR but has no sound !

On 2/6/2019 at 10:28 AM, Will27 said:

TV series - Court Justice: Sydney

Enjoying this one at the minute.
All 10 episodes are available.

TPB

Summary: Sydney's Downing Centre and the twelve magistrates who preside, hears over 30,000 cases each year - from minor traffic offences to major assaults. This groundbreaking fixed-rig series takes you inside of one of the world's busiest local courts. It is a world full of emotion and drama, where bad behaviour comes face-to-face with the justice system.

Binged on this. Highly enjoyable.

I was recommended this movie 'T-34'. I can't find a site to download it. Help.

Patriotic tank film smashes Russian box office record

The state-funded war film T-34, about a Soviet soldier’s ‘devotion to the motherland’, has taken £8m in its opening weekend

On 2/5/2019 at 2:47 AM, Will27 said:

Elite Squad: The Enemy Within.

Not many recent movies are doing it for me.
Watched this one today (with subs) from 2010 and it was pretty good.

Summary: After a prison riot, former-Captain Nascimento, now a high ranking security officer in Rio de Janeiro,
is swept into a bloody political dispute that involves government officials and paramilitary groups.

Took a look at IMDB to see what else director Jose Padila has done.

Turns out I've seen his first film (he co-directed), a gripping feature length documentary, "Bus 174" (2002):

MV5BNjAyMTI4Njc1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQ0

"Documentary depicts what happened in Rio de Janeiro on June 12th 2000, when bus 174 was taken by an armed young man, threatening to shoot all the passengers. Transmitted live on all Brazilian TV networks..."

- IMDB

I notice that director Bruno Barreto did a dramatic feature film about the same incident, "Last Stop 174" (2008).

So I'm downloading Padilha's 3rd film and 1st dramatic film, "Elite Squad" (2007), predecessor to "Elite Squad: The Enemy Within", to take a look.

29 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Turns out I've seen his first film (he co-directed), a gripping feature length documentary, "Bus 174" (2002):

"Documentary depicts what happened in Rio de Janeiro on June 12th 2000, when bus 174 was taken by an armed young man, threatening to shoot all the passengers. Transmitted live on all Brazilian TV networks..."

- IMDB

I notice that director Bruno Barreto did a dramatic feature film about the same incident, "Last Stop 174" (2008).

So I'm downloading Padilha's 3rd film and 1st dramatic film, "Elite Squad" (2007), predecessor to "Elite Squad: The Enemy Within", to take a look.

City of God is another in the same vein ( favelas in Rio ), interesting that there is a follow up documentary City of God 10 years later which documents the effects stardom had on the two main characters .

Carandiru is a true story about a rebellion in a Brazilian prison and the action taken to quell the rioting , it’s an older movie ( 2003 ) but stars Wagner Moura of Enemy Within fame.

40 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

- IMDB

That bus siege would have to be one of the biggest cock-ups of all time.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

City of God is another in the same vein ( favelas in Rio ), interesting that there is a follow up documentary City of God 10 years later which documents the effects stardom had on the two main characters ...

"City of God" is a masterpiece.

MV5BMTU3MDYxMTIxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTI1

MV5BMjQ4MjgyNjAwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTk2

I've seen it twice, will definitely see it again some day. Based on true events - there's a lot of info apparently on Wiki about the true story which I haven't read yet.

Lots of great moments, including the opening sequence.

Tons of characters, many more than most films.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Carandiru is a true story about a rebellion in a Brazilian prison and the action taken to quell the rioting , it’s an older movie ( 2003 ) but stars Wagner Moura of Enemy Within fame.

Saw that, as well as director Hector Babenco's "Pixote" (1981).

MV5BMTY3MjMyMzg5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE0

Both films have interesting subject matter, imo not handled too well.

"Pixote" had a great trailer featuring the greatest images in the film, two of the scenes are unforgettable as short clips, so I had great expectations but the film wasn't as intense.

Another favorite from the same general time period and taking place in Latin America is another masterpiece, director Walter Salles "The Motorcycle Diaries", starring Gael Garcia Bernal:

MV5BMTQ2NDkzMTA5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDE1

MV5BMTUyNTU4MzgzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDI1

Love this film.

I like to know as little as possible about a film before I see it.

The first time I saw this I didn't catch Bernal's character's last name, and it was I think before he was nicknamed, so I didn't realize who he was portraying. Thought the film was great.

Then on 2nd viewing I caught on.

Interesting throughout, but very subtle in the character's change thru the experiences he has on this trip.

There's some extra material available that has a contemporary interview with his companion on the journey Alberto Granado (played by Rodrigo de la Serna).

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Saw that, as well as director Hector Babenco's "Pixote" (1981).

MV5BMTY3MjMyMzg5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE0

Both films have interesting subject matter, imo not handled too well.

"Pixote" had a great trailer featuring the greatest images in the film, two of the scenes are unforgettable as short clips, so I had great expectations but the film wasn't as intense.

Haven’t seen Pixote but will look it up.

I lived in Brazil for 20 years so have great affection for these movies. In fact anything with Wagner Moura or Rodrigo Santoro is worth watching IMO .

Another Brazilian movie worthy of a mention is:

Central Station 

“An emotive journey of a former school teacher, who writes letters for illiterate people, and a young boy, whose mother has just died, as they search for the father he never knew.” from IMDB.

Not an action movie like the others just a pleasant story giving insight into Brazil’s poorer inhabitants.

Just watched  Polar, about a hitman nearing retirement and other hitmen

are trying to kill him, lots of shooting and blood,if you like that kind of thing,

which the wife does, twist at end, and Agatha from Vikings,cleans up very well.

regards worgeordie

21 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Haven’t seen Pixote but will look it up.

I lived in Brazil for 20 years so have great affection for these movies. In fact anything with Wagner Moura or Rodrigo Santoro is worth watching IMO .

Another Brazilian movie worthy of a mention is:

Central Station 

“An emotive journey of a former school teacher, who writes letters for illiterate people, and a young boy, whose mother has just died, as they search for the father he never knew.” from IMDB.

Not an action movie like the others just a pleasant story giving insight into Brazil’s poorer inhabitants.

"Central Station" is directed by Walter Salles ("The Motorcycle Diaries" director I mentioned above).

After seeing "...Motorcycle..." I watched his earlier films. I'd recommend you watch all of those - Salles is Brazilian and the films all take place there as I recall.

("...Motorcycle..." is his best film - although I don't think I've seen any of the films he's made since that one).

"Behind the Sun" ("Abril Despedaçado") (2001) is about a blood feud between two rural families.

MV5BZjYyN2ExNDQtMzNiMy00NzQzLTkwNjctYTE4

And I see it stars your man Santoro.

I'm pretty sure it was in "Central Station" that I saw something cultural I found quite interesting - it may have been the man and the boy, but someone wants to speak to people he doesn't know who are in their house.

He stands on the sidewalk and claps his hands rather than walking up their walkway and knocking on their door.

The people in the house hear this and open the door to see who it is.

Did you ever observe this in Brazil?

On 2/8/2019 at 2:14 PM, Rally123 said:

I was recommended this movie 'T-34'. I can't find a site to download it. Help.

Available here:- https://www.limetorrents.info/T-34 -T-34-2018-HD1080P-x264- -Chs-Russian-aac-kankan-ws-torrent-12176181.html

Unfortunately it's in foreign language (Russian?) and hard coded in foreign subs (Chinese?)

????

"Central Station" is directed by Walter Salles ("The Motorcycle Diaries" director I mentioned above).

After seeing "...Motorcycle..." I watched his earlier films. I'd recommend you watch all of those - Salles is Brazilian and the films all take place there as I recall.
("...Motorcycle..." is his best film - although I don't think I've seen any of the films he's made since that one).

"Behind the Sun" ("Abril Despedaçado") (2001) is about a blood feud between two rural families.

MV5BZjYyN2ExNDQtMzNiMy00NzQzLTkwNjctYTE4YWJhYmY4MzI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY2MzYyNzA@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,678,1000_AL_.jpg&key=c7b008626ae47a508e0654f57da6b5f25be3cba44bd338e5311d5d6269cf3f7f

And I see it stars your man Santoro.

I'm pretty sure it was in "Central Station" that I saw something cultural I found quite interesting - it may have been the man and the boy, but someone wants to speak to people he doesn't know who are in their house.

He stands on the sidewalk and claps his hands rather than walking up their walkway and knocking on their door.
The people in the house hear this and open the door to see who it is.

Did you ever observe this in Brazil?

Thanks for the movie recommendations.

Yes, clapping of the hands to get someone’s attention inside the house is very common , sometimes putting your hands through the gate or fence and clapping to get closer.
Usually accompanied by “ o, de casa “ ( hey, you at home ).

Recent good TV watches

Sharp Objects (pyschological thriller, set in the deep south of USA)

Russian Doll (psychological thriller, hard to describe, but very good)

Get Shorty S02 (Second season of the TV adaptation of the movie - crime/comedy - excellent)

Elementary S06 (6th season of the modern retelling of Sherlock Holmes - superb)

The Detectorists (UK comedy about metal detector enthusiasts - sounds crap, is in fact very good)

Killing Eve (thriller about a female assasin - absolutely first class tv)

Mr Mercedes (Crime thriller about psychokiller - adaptation of Stephen KIng book - 2 seasons, very good)

Crossfire Trail 2001 with Tom Selleck:-

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218127/?ref_=nv_sr_4

Rafe Covington promises a dying friend that he'll watch over the man's wife and ranch after he's gone. When Rafe gets to his friend's ranch, he finds that Barkow, the local power in town, wants not only the ranch but the woman, too, and hires a gang of gunfighters to make sure he gets both

Regular old style western, you know who the good guys and bad guys are and you know it's all going to end well.

I liked it.  :thumbsup:

On 2/8/2019 at 11:58 PM, worgeordie said:

Just watched  Polar, about a hitman nearing retirement and other hitmen

I loved this film, especially the nods to Tarantino; no clue why it gets such bad reviews when John Wick 1/2 (which I also loved) get showered with critical praise?

Liking/Liked:

Russian Doll

Wayne

Punisher S02

Berlin Station S03

Counterpart S02

Titans S01

True Detective S03

Star Trek Discovery S02

The Orville S02

Blacklist S06

Sex Education

Glow S02

Broad City S05

Everything Sucks S01

Impulse S01

Harrow S01

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel S01 and S02 (probably my top show)

Yellowstone S01

The Kominsky Method S01

Patriot S02

Too many shows to keep up with.

I loved this film, especially the nods to Tarantino; no clue why it gets such bad reviews when John Wick 1/2 (which I also loved) get showered with critical praise?

Liking/Liked:

Russian Doll
Wayne
Punisher S02
Berlin Station S03
Counterpart S02
Titans S01
True Detective S03
Star Trek Discovery S02
The Orville S02
Blacklist S06
Sex Education
Glow S02
Broad City S05
Everything Sucks S01
Impulse S01
Harrow S01
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel S01 and S02 (probably my top show)
Yellowstone S01
The Kominsky Method S01
Patriot S02

Too many shows to keep up with.

Do you ever sleep? Lol

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Tv series - Bozkir

Really enjoying this Turkish show.
All ten episodes with subs available on TPB.

Summary: In his profession, experienced captain Seyfi and rookie policeman Nuri Pamir face a child murder in the city.
This murder leads them to the city's populated business man Abbas and his daughter Dilara.

Archived