What movies or TV shows are you watching (2018)

CharlieH

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New series just released with all episodes,

Traitors - some nakedness with an attractive young actress.

Northern Rescue - William Baldwin well past his sell-by date, nice scenery.

The Widow - Kate Beckinsale, she's hitting the wall right now, out in the Congo.

All watchable, but nothing special

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

Came across this sketch apparently from the William Claude Dukenfield film ""Never Give a Sucker an Even Break".

5 minutes and 42 seconds of laugh out loud funny - time for me to view again WC Fields' films as I've seen them all but forgot this sketch completely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOHGr8r5Cs4&feature=youtu.be

Very funny!

Losers - enjoying this one at the minute.

Eight episodes, each about 25 minutes long.

Summary: In a "winning is everything" society, how do we handle failure? This series profiles athletes who have turned the agony of defeat into human triumph.

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Good news gang.

Season 5 of Bosch starts next month.

Next month? That's good.

By then I may have started and got through:
S08 of Death in Paradise

S06 of Endeavour

S05 of Shetland

S05 of Luther

S03 of True Detective

S03 of Professor T

S02 of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

BUT...who am I kidding? It'll just have to get in the queue on the hard drive for future reference.

There's too much good stuff around at the moment.

Tv series - After Life

Really enjoyed this new one by Ricky Gervais.
Six episodes, about 30 minutes each.

Summary: After Tony's wife dies unexpectedly, his nice-guy persona is altered into an impulsive, devil-may-care attitude taking his old world by storm.

I think it was a post about an Italian cop miniseries that got me exploring and I discovered several things of interest:

"Romanzo Criminale" (2005) is a feature film about a gang of young men who decide to rule the underworld of Rome.

The posters on IMDB overwhelmingly said "Skip this and watch the miniseries" but I watched it anyway.

MV5BYWYwY2JjYzItYmE0ZC00ZmY0LWJlZDMtNmU1

Based on a novel, it was enough to hold my attention but I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm writing about it though because then I did take a look at the miniseries which was on Italian tv 2 seasons - "Romanzo criminale - La serie" (2008 - 2010).

This was indeed much better than the feature and I watched the entire Season 1 (12 episodes) and have downloaded Season 2.

MV5BM2QwODNjYTktMWVmNS00MTMyLWI3YTEtMWFi

The series is directed by Stefano Sollima, whose done a lot of crime/gangster films.

In 2015 he directed "Suburra", a feature film about gangsters wanting to develop the Rome waterfront.

Not bad.

MV5BYTJmY2VhZDktNWY0Yy00NTYwLWFkOWQtMzRm

One of the co-stars gives the performance of the film - Adomo Dionisi as a truly intimidating feral Romany (Gypsy) thug.

What's knocked me out though is "Gomorra: La serie" ("Gomorrah") (2014/2016/2017/2019).

It looks like Sollima directed most of the 1st season.

Lighting this scene like "The Godfather".

MV5BNjc5NjAxNDIyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjQ3

Whereas Matteo Garrone's 2008 feature "Gomorrah" was a history of the Naples Mafia and government efforts to fight it, the miniseries - at least the 1st 2 episodes which is what I've viewed thus far - centers on one crime family and their feuds with other crime groups in the area. Doesn't have any connection to the feature thus far other than the title which they are capitalizing on as it was a popular film.

MV5BMTExNzA2Njg0MDReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDA0

The 1st episode is 56 minutes but I felt like I watched a feature film.

High production values - sets/locations, extras, battle scenes between the gangs, special effects.

In a sense like "The Sopranos" of Italy, but very different.

The gang boss and his wife try out their new couch.

MV5BMTc0NDYwNjg2Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjU3

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Yep, Derek was really good.

Has some of the actors from that in this one as well.

Review from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/mar/09/ricky-gervais-after-life

He shows so we'll the feelings of loss & despair when someone you love dies.

His 'Paedo' comment in ep1 made me laugh out loud. :clap2:

What's happening with the current spate of new releases on our favorite torrent sites, there aren't any, or at least nothing decent, just a proliferation of horror/paranormal rubbish. What is it with all these B grade, low budget horror flics, they must cost nothing to make with no name actors and plots a 10 year old would find insulting to their intelligence. Even the current choice of TV series is pretty dismal. Thank god I can enjoy a good book.

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What's happening with the current spate of new releases on our favorite torrent sites, there aren't any, or at least nothing decent, just a proliferation of horror/paranormal rubbish. What is it with all these B grade, low budget horror flics, they must cost nothing to make with no name actors and plots a 10 year old would find insulting to their intelligence. Even the current choice of TV series is pretty dismal. Thank god I can enjoy a good book.

You missed the drama series 'The Widow' with Kate Beckinsale?

And 'Northern Rescue' with William Baldwin?

New seasons of Billions starts 17 March

The Case against Adnan Syed is a new 3 part hobo doc that just began....episode 1 was good.

After Life was brilliant....after a long time something good from Gervais.

The Widow was also surprisingly not bad.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I have trouble keeping up.

I watch a lot of series with subs though.

Have currently just finished After Life, The Inmate and Losers.

Currently watching Baptiste ,Cardinal, Suburra, Fleabag and Australian Crime Stories.

Plus there are always a few good documentaries each week.

I agree with you about the lack of quality movies though.

Lucky to be 4 or 5 real good ones per year I reckon.

55 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes I agree, all too often I get disheartened at the absolute rubbish that's being thrust upon us - an example, which was heralded was Bodyguard: Complete <deleted>.

Then there's all those "Superhero" movies!! ????

Then, Will brightens things up with his suggestions. :smile:

After life, if you haven't seen it, was excellent.

New 4 part English thriller starts Tomorrow.
Continues daily until Friday.

Summary: Centered around a dangerous relationship between university professor Leah and her student, Rose. After a
series of events take place, things escalate between the two leading to fatal consequences.

Archived