What movies or TV shows are you watching (2018)

CharlieH

Just watched Joanne Dennehy:Serial Killer.

Some good footage of one of Britain most famous female serial killers ( up there with Myra Hindley and Rosemary West )and insight into her two weeks of madness resulting in 3 men dead and 2 men left for dead .

Streamed from ITV Hub but maybe available elsewhere.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fresh Eggs. Excellent NZ black comedy that just keeps getting better and better. Four episodes available all the usual places.

Happy! Another off-beat comedy that I highly recommend. Already into Season 2. Also available many places.

I've been watching the British "Line of Duty".

Thanks to the poster who recommended it.

I'll be finishing Season 4 tonight.

I hate shows which bootlick cops and idealize them, and thought I'd probably be deleting it after a few minutes.

Instead it turns out to be an extreme rarity - a show which shows corrupt cops at all levels.

The police unit which investigates cop corruption is idealized as far as they only care about the law and what is right and just and have no problem prosecuting fellow cops. Straight out of Fantasy Land.

It counters it with showing crooked cops, selective prosecution, brutal (female) prison guards, etc. which is real world and is rarely depicted in msm "entertainment" - and for that matter basically nonexistent in "news" shows.

Always a bit of laughably ridiculous TV level dialogue/situations, but many more interesting scenes and situations.

Someone asked me a while back for other Danish or Scandinavian recommendations.

Sorry it's taken me so long. I wanted to write up a bunch of them and then keep putting it off.

I did write up and recommend the three "Pusher" films. "Pusher 1" and "Pusher 2" launched Mikkelson's acting career - he had been a dancer and gymnast previously.

Since I just enjoyed a Mads Mikkelson film, I'll mention a few more.

As Mikkelson is the most visible Danish star, Anders Thomas Jensen is perhaps its most visible and probably most prolific screenwriter.

He's directed a few films (as wells as writing each one):

"Flickering Lights" (2000) "Blinkende lygter" (original title) - Jensen's 1st feature directing after making 3 shorts - an unusual gangster/crime comedy/drama, with Ulrich Thomsen and Mikkelson part of an ensemble cast.

MV5BZTJhZGQ1NGQtZGY4Ny00YzA5LTg4NzQtYjUz

His 2nd film "The Green Butchers" (2003) "De grønne slagtere" (original title) I thought was unwatchable - really flat.

His 3rd film - "Adam's Apples" (2005) "Adams æbler" (original title) is one of the great dark comedies.

That term is often misapplied, but this film is genuinely funny and a real dark comedy.

Part of "black comedy" is joking about things normally only taken seriously.

Topics where it is conventionally felt that one does not laugh at these.

This film definitely fits the black comedy bill.

Starring Ulrich Thomsen and Mikkelsen.

I'm a fan of the female costar's name - Paprika Steen.

MV5BMTU4NTc5NjM5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODEy

MV5BNjA3MzhjY2MtZTIzZi00NjRiLWI2ZDItNGU4

His 4th and most recent to date, "Men and Chicken" (2015) "Mænd & høns" (original title)  - for me not up to the plateau of "Adam's Apples" but the 1st half is a riot, the 2nd half starts to take the plot more seriously (reminiscent of a famous novel but a comic take on it) but is still fun.

Starring David Dencik and Mikkelson.

MV5BMTk4NTU3MDg5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTM1

8 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Back to Life

Didn't mind this new offering from the Beeb.

Summary: After 10 years in prison, a woman returns to her small hometown wondering if anyone will let her move on.

Video says "out after 18 years"

Just wondering what crime a woman could commit in the UK that gets her 18 years?

I usually give anything with 'strong women' a miss.

On a similar rant, anyone seen the new 'Twilight zone'?

So multicultural that it's completely unwatchable, the only characters played by white guys are the baddies and they are usually redneck racist policemen..

Interview with a Murderer.

Thought this was excellent.
Three episodes in all.

Summary: Criminologist Prof David Wilson conducts a series of interviews with convicted murderer Bert Spencer, the man suspected of - yet never charged with - killing paperboy Carl Bridgewater in 1978.

6 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

I loved it, but realistic, not so sure about that. Besides, it ended too abruptly.

Still in the Easter spirit?
I found this 2018 live stage production of JC Superstar excellent.
It won, among other awards, Best TV Movie. It also rated 100% on Rotten Tomatoes - for what that’s worth.
Alice Cooper’s performance as King Herod was great [emoji106]
Available at a TPB site near you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Christ_Superstar_Live_in_Concert

43 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

"History of the Real Deadwood, South Dakota

The streets are covered in horse dung and urine, gambling and prostitution are ubiquitous, murder is commonplace, horse thieves are hung, suckers are scammed, gun fighters shoot it out, and racism is the norm.

Were you expecting Gene Autry?????

A lot of the bad language, ie swearing, wasn't around at this time, words like c*cksucker didn't exist, gunfights were rare, and it wasn't always historically correct either, nevertheless, it was still pure entertainment.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:36 AM, giddyup said:

Fresh Eggs. Excellent NZ black comedy that just keeps getting better and better. Four episodes available all the usual places.

Happy! Another off-beat comedy that I highly recommend. Already into Season 2. Also available many places.

I am also hooked on Fresh Eggs. Episode 4 was aired on March 12, why the long wait for the last 2 episodes?

Add "Barry" to that list.

The Highwaymen

2019 ‧ Drama/Thriller

One of the best movies I seen in a while. I've seen several movies of Bonnie and Clyde that romanticized their brutal behavior and seemed to justified their killing of numerous law men. This movie not only shows the dedication to justice and answering the call of a nation to bring fugitives to justice, but shows the professionalism of law men such as the Texas Rangers to get the job done even in modern times. The old guard still has valuable and import contributions to a new society and when the present law enforcement can't get the job done, find people that have throughout history capture fugitives. Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson performed great as storytellers of this law enforcement point of view. If you like the story of Bonnie and Clyde, watch this movie.images.jpg.1634df2e7e89906fc941148f0002e15a.jpg

7 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

One of the best movies I seen in a while. I've seen several movies of Bonnie and Clyde that romanticized their brutal behavior and seemed to justified their killing of numerous law men. This movie not only shows the dedication to justice and answering the call of a nation to bring fugitives to justice, but shows the professionalism of law men such as the Texas Rangers to get the job done even in modern times. The old guard still has valuable and import contributions to a new society and when the present law enforcement can't get the job done, find people that have throughout history capture fugitives. Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson performed great as storytellers of this law enforcement point of view. If you like the story of Bonnie and Clyde, watch this movie.

And the movies name is......

4 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

The Highwaymen

2019 ‧ Drama/Thriller

One of the best movies I seen in a while. I've seen several movies of Bonnie and Clyde that romanticized their brutal behavior and seemed to justified their killing of numerous law men. This movie not only shows the dedication to justice and answering the call of a nation to bring fugitives to justice, but shows the professionalism of law men such as the Texas Rangers to get the job done even in modern times. The old guard still has valuable and import contributions to a new society and when the present law enforcement can't get the job done, find people that have throughout history capture fugitives. Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson performed great as storytellers of this law enforcement point of view. If you like the story of Bonnie and Clyde, watch this movie.images.jpg.1634df2e7e89906fc941148f0002e15a.jpg

I thought it was dull as ditchwater.

I am also hooked on Fresh Eggs. Episode 4 was aired on March 12, why the long wait for the last 2 episodes?

Add "Barry" to that list.

I watched a NZ movie the other day, Mega Time Squad, the wife watched it all the way through and said it was “a bullsh!t3 movie”, which doesn’t mean it was bad, just a little off the wall. Interesting to see what the Kiwis can do.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I watched a NZ movie the other day, Mega Time Squad, the wife watched it all the way through and said it was “a bullsh!t3 movie”, which doesn’t mean it was bad, just a little off the wall. Interesting to see what the Kiwis can do.

Try "What we do in the Shadows", a vampire send-up. They have also made a TV sitcom but not as funny as the movie.

TVShow - Gentleman Jack (2019)

From HBO, a new period drama based on a true story set in Yorkshire England.

Anne Lister, is a wealthy landowner and industrialist in the 1800s, Lister detailed her life's story in a five-million-word diary that chronicled in part, her sexual adventures and romantic relationships with women in a secret self-created code. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7211618/

The Orville (Sci-Fi US comedy series)

images-37.jpg.d3d488ca9e011af58414cfabdf88e50e.jpg

When I first watched the Orville episode 1 I thought it was a direct rip off from Star Trek.

Boy was I wrong, the Orville is 100 times better, it’s funny and the plot is unpredictable.

In Star Trek during video chat in the bridge command you will never see a dog licking its balls in the background.

In Star Trek you will never see gay male alien couples, and then they lay eggs and sit on like a big chicken.

In Star Trek there’s no way you will see a green jelly blob alien having sex with a human.

There’s also one of the hottest chicks, Kelly Grayson on the TV show or Adrianne Policki in real life. I can stare at her beautiful face all day, she’s gorgeous.

Oh yeah Kelly shags a blue alien that has skin like a lizard and a head like a grass hopper, and when the alien is frightened he spurts blue ink out of his forehead.

The Orville (Sci-Fi US comedy series)
images-37.jpg.d3d488ca9e011af58414cfabdf88e50e.jpg&key=efac1a56765dc8aef4c65deb3481a3e5c16cfaed5caedeb78e2690f16dd726f5
When I first watched the Orville episode 1 I thought it was a direct rip off from Star Trek.

Boy was I wrong, the Orville is 100 times better, it’s funny and the plot is unpredictable.

In Star Trek during video chat in the bridge command you will never see a dog licking its balls in the background.

In Star Trek you will never see gay male alien couples, and then they lay eggs and sit on like a big chicken.

In Star Trek there’s no way you will see a green jelly blob alien having sex with a human.

There’s also one of the hottest chicks, Kelly Grayson on the TV show or Adrianne Policki in real life. I can stare at her beautiful face all day, she’s gorgeous.

Oh yeah Kelly shags a blue alien that has skin like a lizard and a head like a grass hopper, and when the alien is frightened he spurts blue ink out of his forehead.

Yes, I must admit I dl’d season 1 and watched it not really knowing if I liked it or not !!, I struggled through ( with the hope it would improve ).

But when season 2 was announced I got straight on dl’ ing .
Half way through season 2 and I have to agree while it is an unashamed rip off of Star Trek it is compelling viewing and around 9.30 pm I leave the gf watching some Thai tv and retire to the room to watch an episode, or maybe 2 !!

After that I have 2 seasons of Sneaky Pete to binge !!

Cold Pursuit with Liam Neeson. A copy of the Norwegian film "In Order of Disappearance" I saw the original recently and the remake follows it pretty much exactly. Both are highly entertaining. Available in most of the usual places.

13 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Spud17 has just dropped a nice TV series called Der Pass (aka Pagan Peak)

In German with excellent hardcoded subs...fans of Bron/Broen will probably like this.

The only copy I can find on PB has zero seeds or leeches.

Archived