What movies or TV shows are you watching (2018)

CharlieH

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Cold Pursuit with Liam Neeson. A copy of the Norwegian film "In Order of Disappearance" I saw the original recently and the remake follows it pretty much exactly. Both are highly entertaining. Available in most of the usual places.

I watched it last night and didn't think a great deal of it, mainly because it was very patchy with some very poorly thought out and enacted links along the way.

IMO certainly not one of Liam Neeson's best, and I usually like most of what he does.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I watched it last night and didn't think a great deal of it, mainly because it was very patchy with some very poorly thought out and enacted links along the way.

IMO certainly not one of Liam Neeson's best, and I usually like most of what he does.

You do realise it was a black comedy? Perhaps watch the original and see what you think.

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

That's most likely because it comes from the "lets try and do a Tarantino" stable.

I gave it a 5 for effort.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

You do realise it was a black comedy? Perhaps watch the original and see what you think.

I did see some attempts at "dark humour" but for me, it was an unsatisfying movie, dark humour or not.

Won't bother to watch the original now, but thanks for the tip.

27 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

That's most likely because it comes from the "lets try and do a Tarantino" stable.

I gave it a 5 for effort.

I don't think the Norwegians were trying to do a Tarantino.

4 hours ago, donim said:

Recommened by an friend, now collected and starting with ' The Expanse '

Yes, the expanse was enjoyable - I also found about “origin” which was a YouTube originals / Sony collaboration, at the same time, take a look if you like a bit of a sci-fi.

The Grand Tour Season 3 - Colombia Special
images-40.jpg
I just love watching these three guys on their roadtrip adventures around the globe. Thoroughly entertaining from start to finish. In this special I just wonder if not all of it is staged as they play practical jokes on each other. When Jeremy Clarkson reversed into James May's car. May got out and threw a rock at Clarkson's windscreen and smashed it. I thought a fight was going to break out. So funny! I hope there's a fourth season. Loving this season.

37 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

I am not referring to the Norwegian version.

The remake is just different actors, it has exactly the same plot as the Norwegian original. So it follows that if the Liam Neeson version was trying to 'do a Tarantino" the original must have as well, which it wasn't.

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The remake is just different actors, it has exactly the same plot as the Norwegian original. So it follows that if the Liam Neeson version was trying to 'do a Tarantino" the original must have as well, which it wasn't.

Same plot different result from different direction. To me it feels like a Tarantino wannabe and no amount of yadda from you will change that. 

8 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Same plot different result from different direction. To me it feels like a Tarantino wannabe and no amount of yadda from you will change that. 

Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

15 hours ago, xylophone said:

I did see some attempts at "dark humour" but for me, it was an unsatisfying movie, dark humour or not.

Won't bother to watch the original now, but thanks for the tip.

Didn't look at the Neeson version, but the original I lasted about 30 minutes and gave up.

As thin as could be, poorly done, weak imo.

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Didn't look at the Neeson version, but the original I lasted about 30 minutes and gave up.

As thin as could be, poorly done, weak imo.

Yet still managed a 7.2 rating on IMDB. I really enjoyed both versions.

Tv series -Chimerica

Enjoying this one at the minute.

Summary: A photojournalist travels to China with the hopes of finding out who the mysterious man was who was photographed
standing defiantly in front of a tank in Tiananmen Square twenty years ago.

Tv series -Chimerica

Enjoying this one at the minute.

Summary: A photojournalist travels to China with the hopes of finding out who the mysterious man was who was photographed
standing defiantly in front of a tank in Tiananmen Square twenty years ago.

Chimerica reminds me of this movie clip.

Just saying.

On 4/27/2019 at 4:41 PM, recom273 said:

Yes, the expanse was enjoyable - I also found about “origin” which was a YouTube originals / Sony collaboration, at the same time, take a look if you like a bit of a sci-fi.

Didn't like the Expanse, too ethnic like the new Twilight Zone.

Didn't find a fat girl as an 'elite Martian trooper' believable either.

43 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Any guesses as to 'H' is? My money is on 'Gill Biggeloe'.

Yes I think so to. Thought ep5 was really good, & Steven Graham, as always, fantastic...well, except he was killed in ep4 but never mind.:laugh:

Just can't see Ted as being 'a bent copper'.

Last ep next week....????

2 hours ago, faraday said:

Yes I think so to. Thought ep5 was really good, & Steven Graham, as always, fantastic...well, except he was killed in ep4 but never mind.:laugh:

Last ep next week....????

https://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainment/movies/man-shouting-avengers-endgame-spoilers-gets-beating-from-furious-fans-ng-04c747c09ac94a48304a0fd944ae2373

12 hours ago, faraday said:

Of course he ain't. UK newspapers are also now going along with 'Gill Biggeloe' as being 'H'. Roll on Sunday.

More Mads Mikkelson:

I noticed his bio on IMDB starts with:

"Starting out as a low-life pusher/junkie in the 1996 success Pusher (1996), he slowly grew to become one of Denmark's biggest movie actors. The success in his home country includes Flickering Lights (2000), Shake It (2001) and the Emmy-winning police series Unit 1 (2000)."

I've been watching "Unit 1" "Rejseholdet" (original title) 2000 - 2004.

A mobile crime solving police unit.

Mikkelson is 2nd billed but after 9 or 10 episodes his part is not one of the major ones but part of an ensemble cast.

The crime stories hold my interest but are not terribly intricate - what's interesting is the show spends half the time focusing on the private lives of the members of the group, and their stories and inter-relationships make it worthwhile.

MV5BYTRlMTYwZTctOWJlNS00YjQwLWFmZWItMWNj

The cast are all very good. I like the two women especially.

[TPB has the full series w/English subs under "Rejseholdet"].

Someone recommended a Korean flic called Spy Gone North

Is finally out ...and its pretty good.

Also Gomorra Season 4 is shaping up to end on a cracking note.

New Netflix film in Italian called Lo Spietato (The Ruthless)...another good italian

crime drama.

I can't wait to see the final episide of The Curse of Oak Island season 6. This season has been the best out of all of them. They have found and proved so much about the island and that it is true. The other great thing is that they still haven't found the treasure so another season will be made. Great news. It's like channel 4's time team but more hyped up, edge of your seat stuff.

My favourite in the show is Jack Begley. He's such a nice man and so funny.images-42.jpg

Archived