What movies or TV shows are you watching (2018)

CharlieH

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

Now here's one for the experts out there; I download a few movies and none of them actually fill the screen so what do I look for to get the full screen ones when looking for a download??

The aspect ratio of movies will not always be a match for your TV. New TV shows and most TV movies should fit perfectly.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

The aspect ratio of movies will not always be a match for your TV. New TV shows and most TV movies should fit perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback FT, just about all of the movies I download have black line/space at the top and bottom and I worry about "burning in" with my new tv?

Thanks for the feedback FT, just about all of the movies I download have black line/space at the top and bottom and I worry about "burning in" with my new tv?

It is likely the only way the movies will fit without distorting or cropping.

Burning in is a thing of the past with CRT screens. Doesn't appear anymore

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Pennyworth, TV series.

New spin off from Batman set in an alternate 1960s London (good guys Vs Commies Vs Nazis).

I know you think it'll be pooh, but it's incredibly dark, violent and with a hint of humour.

I enjoyed it.

Suffered about 30 min. before giving it away. Kept waiting for something to happen.

Skin

Thought this one was pretty good.

Summary: A destitute young man, raised by racist skinheads and notorious among white supremacists, turns his back on
hatred and violence to transform his life, with the help of a black activist and the woman he loves.

Two excellent documentaries from HBO on true crime have just dropped.

Ive seen just one: I love you, now die.

What a story, you could not make this up...fascinating and tragic look into the minds

of two teens who conducted an epic "romance" over sms and how it all ended.

The second one is Who killed Garrett Phillips which I've yet to see but it aired this morning. 

On 7/21/2019 at 11:22 PM, xylophone said:

I download a few movies and none of them actually fill the screen so what do I look for to get the full screen ones when looking for a download??

Nothing wrong with the download...that setting is controlled from within your tv....the remote should have

a menu that says 'picture'...it allows you to choose 16:9, full screen, half screen, magnification etc.

51 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Nothing wrong with the download...that setting is controlled from within your tv....the remote should have

a menu that says 'picture'...it allows you to choose 16:9, full screen, half screen, magnification etc.

Thanks for the feedback and as it's a new TV I've just bought, I decided to go back and have a look to see if I could change the picture, but even getting inside of the TVs settings, they are very limited.

Apparently the 21:9 ratio which many of the movies are shot in today, will show a black line on modern TVs because they are 16:9 ratio screens (apparently and I'm no expert so bear with me) and although there is some sort of adjustment possible, it is only on the basis of the input coming from an HDMI input, whereas my movies come from a USB?

I have downloaded the VLC media player app on my computer and I believe that has some adjustments possible, so I could try to adjust the size in that particular app and then send it to my TV via an HDMI connection, so I will give that a go.

24 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Does the full screen option not distort the picture?

Depends on what you want to see and what tv.  I've got full screen, wide screen and cinema - the one that duplicates the movies has black bands on the top and bottom.  Wide screen distorts a bit and my full screen cuts off the ends.   

Depends on what you want to see and what tv.  I've got full screen, wide screen and cinema - the one that duplicates the movies has black bands on the top and bottom.  Wide screen distorts a bit and my full screen cuts off the ends.   

And cuts the top and bottom off of some shows, which bugs if you are using subs...

Just started to watch the second episode of the latest series of  Poldark,but thats it switched off after 5 minutes ,such a shame i loved the original adaption of the books ,but now the thing has just become the usual left wing drivel ,mixed race couple ,lots of people of color walking around dressed as Gentlemen of the time ,why do they have to do it ,change history ,and before anyone starts to call me racist ,one of my favorite series is Luther .

i just hate changing things just to be 'inclusive" or whatever its called .

Just started to watch the second episode of the latest series of  Poldark,but thats it switched off after 5 minutes ,such a shame i loved the original adaption of the books ,but now the thing has just become the usual left wing drivel ,mixed race couple ,lots of people of color walking around dressed as Gentlemen of the time ,why do they have to do it ,change history ,and before anyone starts to call me racist ,one of my favorite series is Luther .

i just hate changing things just to be 'inclusive" or whatever its called .

No, that’s how it really was back then, it’s just finally being depicted honestly.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:19 PM, JHolmesJr said:

Two excellent documentaries from HBO on true crime have just dropped.

Ive seen just one: I love you, now die.

What a story, you could not make this up...fascinating and tragic look into the minds

of two teens who conducted an epic "romance" over sms and how it all ended.

The second one is Who killed Garrett Phillips which I've yet to see but it aired this morning. 

Thanks for this.

Saw I love You a little while ago and it was excellent.

Just watched Who Killed Garrett Phillips and thought it was excellent.

10 hours ago, Will27 said:

Thanks for this.

Saw I love You a little while ago and it was excellent.

Just watched Who Killed Garrett Phillips and thought it was excellent.

There is a third HBO doco called "Behind Closed Doors - The Talwars"

It's about a mysterious murder of a teenage girl in New Delhi...they suspect the manservant 

did it but he turns up dead as well. Im having trouble hunting it down for some reason.

The Great Hack

Superb Netflix documentary on how Cambridge Analytica stole facebook users' data...and used it to target voters

not just in the American elections, but for the Leave EU campaign and all over the world.

22 hours ago, mogandave said:

No, that’s how it really was back then, it’s just finally being depicted honestly.

Yes of course it was if ,there were so many black people in the UK how come the first one my friends and i ever saw was when we were about 8 yrs old ,we were so fascinated as the only black people we had ever seen was in the pictures . please read your history ,like i have done , there were no black gentry at that time ,also mixed race marriages , please tell me where i can read about it.

Giants AKA Gigantes

Thought episode 1 was excellent.

All 6 episodes available with subs on TPB.

Summary: Gigantes is a story of fraternal love and hate. Family, drug dealing and police chases in Madrid's Gypsy underground world.  The Guerrero brothers have controlled drug dealing between the Peninsula and the rest of Europe for decades.

images-7.jpg
Missing 411: The Hunted is based on the book by Paulides, which documents 185 cases of missing peoples from four different countries. All 185 cases fit a narrowly defined profile that was refined after researching thousands of missing person reports; these cases are the most difficult, defy common sense, challenge conventional wisdom and remain unexplained.

Available at the bay I found this documentary interesting and also inspired me to investigate some of the cases updated news after I'd watched the film. I like a good documentary now again and this one is good!

Don't know if it's already been mentioned put I was recommended "Godless" a 2 year old series staring Michelle Doherty...who is Hot IMHO, she was also in "Good Behaviour" (another really good two series show) and Downton Abbey....'nuff said.

Godless is a Western, watched 2 episodes so far...good.

2 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Don't know if it's already been mentioned put I was recommended "Godless" a 2 year old series staring Michelle Doherty...who is Hot IMHO, she was also in "Good Behaviour" (another really good two series show) and Downton Abbey....'nuff said.

Godless is a Western, watched 2 episodes so far...good.

Yes, it is quite good.  Jeff Daniels, one of my favorite actors, won an Emmy for his excellent performance but the whole cast is great.  

On 7/25/2019 at 11:57 PM, Will27 said:

Giants AKA Gigantes

Thought episode 1 was excellent.

All 6 episodes available with subs on TPB.

Summary: Gigantes is a story of fraternal love and hate. Family, drug dealing and police chases in Madrid's Gypsy underground world.  The Guerrero brothers have controlled drug dealing between the Peninsula and the rest of Europe for decades.

Thank you for the recommendation.

I ended up staying up through the night watching the 1st 3 episodes.

Archived