BANGKOK 20 May 2019 04:13
CharlieH

What movies or TV shows are you watching (2018)

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Anyone seen the movie Arctic? Any ideas as to why they made the helicopter crash survivor a Thai, when the actress is actually Icelandic? Seemed to have to real bearing on the story.

Watched it last night and thought it was good.

Also watched another one which I hadn't heard of before called, "Only the dead" and this really is a war story unlike any other you've ever seen because it is an action documentary which follows a war correspondent into the war in Iraq and he's very often at the front of things.

An absolute must if anyone likes these sort of things and available on 1337x.to 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, giddyup said:

Anyone seen the movie Arctic? Any ideas as to why they made the helicopter crash survivor a Thai, when the actress is actually Icelandic? Seemed to have to real bearing on the story.

Been waiting a while for a rip but the ones out now have bad audio so going to wait a while longer...

5 hours ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

Been waiting a while for a rip but the ones out now have bad audio so going to wait a while longer...

There's virtually no dialog, wouldn't worry.

• Thanks 1

Just watched Joanne Dennehy:Serial Killer.

Some good footage of one of Britain most famous female serial killers ( up there with Myra Hindley and Rosemary West )and insight into her two weeks of madness resulting in 3 men dead and 2 men left for dead .

Streamed from ITV Hub but maybe available elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to the person who recommended "Arctic".

Excellent film. Mads Mikkelson fantastic, as usual.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Fresh Eggs. Excellent NZ black comedy that just keeps getting better and better. Four episodes available all the usual places.

Happy! Another off-beat comedy that I highly recommend. Already into Season 2. Also available many places.

Edited by giddyup
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I've been watching the British "Line of Duty".

Thanks to the poster who recommended it.

I'll be finishing Season 4 tonight.

I hate shows which bootlick cops and idealize them, and thought I'd probably be deleting it after a few minutes.

Instead it turns out to be an extreme rarity - a show which shows corrupt cops at all levels.

The police unit which investigates cop corruption is idealized as far as they only care about the law and what is right and just and have no problem prosecuting fellow cops. Straight out of Fantasy Land.

It counters it with showing crooked cops, selective prosecution, brutal (female) prison guards, etc. which is real world and is rarely depicted in msm "entertainment" - and for that matter basically nonexistent in "news" shows.

Always a bit of laughably ridiculous TV level dialogue/situations, but many more interesting scenes and situations.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Someone asked me a while back for other Danish or Scandinavian recommendations.

Sorry it's taken me so long. I wanted to write up a bunch of them and then keep putting it off.

I did write up and recommend the three "Pusher" films. "Pusher 1" and "Pusher 2" launched Mikkelson's acting career - he had been a dancer and gymnast previously.

Since I just enjoyed a Mads Mikkelson film, I'll mention a few more.

As Mikkelson is the most visible Danish star, Anders Thomas Jensen is perhaps its most visible and probably most prolific screenwriter.

He's directed a few films (as wells as writing each one):

"Flickering Lights" (2000) "Blinkende lygter" (original title) - Jensen's 1st feature directing after making 3 shorts - an unusual gangster/crime comedy/drama, with Ulrich Thomsen and Mikkelson part of an ensemble cast.

MV5BZTJhZGQ1NGQtZGY4Ny00YzA5LTg4NzQtYjUz

His 2nd film "The Green Butchers" (2003) "De grønne slagtere" (original title) I thought was unwatchable - really flat.

His 3rd film - "Adam's Apples" (2005) "Adams æbler" (original title) is one of the great dark comedies.

That term is often misapplied, but this film is genuinely funny and a real dark comedy.

Part of "black comedy" is joking about things normally only taken seriously.

Topics where it is conventionally felt that one does not laugh at these.

This film definitely fits the black comedy bill.

Starring Ulrich Thomsen and Mikkelsen.

I'm a fan of the female costar's name - Paprika Steen.

MV5BMTU4NTc5NjM5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODEy

MV5BNjA3MzhjY2MtZTIzZi00NjRiLWI2ZDItNGU4

His 4th and most recent to date, "Men and Chicken" (2015) "Mænd & høns" (original title)  - for me not up to the plateau of "Adam's Apples" but the 1st half is a riot, the 2nd half starts to take the plot more seriously (reminiscent of a famous novel but a comic take on it) but is still fun.

Starring David Dencik and Mikkelson.

MV5BMTk4NTU3MDg5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTM1

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

Classic Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, for us old retired folk.

Now go ahead, you light another match.

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, 4 coffins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tuco goes looking for a revolver.  BLOOONNNNDDIIIIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to Life

Didn't mind this new offering from the Beeb.

Summary: After 10 years in prison, a woman returns to her small hometown wondering if anyone will let her move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Back to Life

Didn't mind this new offering from the Beeb.

Summary: After 10 years in prison, a woman returns to her small hometown wondering if anyone will let her move on.

Video says "out after 18 years"

Just wondering what crime a woman could commit in the UK that gets her 18 years?

I usually give anything with 'strong women' a miss.

On a similar rant, anyone seen the new 'Twilight zone'?

So multicultural that it's completely unwatchable, the only characters played by white guys are the baddies and they are usually redneck racist policemen..

Edited by BritManToo

Interview with a Murderer.

Thought this was excellent.
Three episodes in all.

Summary: Criminologist Prof David Wilson conducts a series of interviews with convicted murderer Bert Spencer, the man suspected of - yet never charged with - killing paperboy Carl Bridgewater in 1978.