The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

Jonathan Fairfield

15 hours ago, FarangryBirds said:

This new timetable hopefully clears it up.

It looks like the trains run Mo Chit - Samrong, then Samrong - Kheha is effectively it's own branch line... within a line. Trains every 10 minutes on the extension.

BTSDEC2018.thumb.png.45ed5dcd2ee9ce5df54399b7a705c153.png

Carrying on from the previous thread.

I've spoken to someone that knows and, temporarily, you will have to change trains at Samrong (just walk across the platform it's an island). This is to ensure that the level of service on the current system isn't affected during the early operation of Samrong - Kheha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I've spoken to someone that knows and, temporarily, you will have to change trains at Samrong (just walk across the platform it's an island). This is to ensure that the level of service on the current system isn't affected during the early operation of Samrong - Kheha.

And great news that is too!! In order to avoid the crush at Phra Khanong every morning (and because I have loads of time to spare after dropping my son off at school) I take the BTS from Phra Khanong to Samrong (getting a seat all the way) and then just stay on the train for the return trip to Chitlom.  I was dreading having to go all the way to the end of the new line, or gamble on getting off and changing direction somewhere in between.  Good work BTS!

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

Yeah, I guessed because Samrong has an island platform, it'll work like the change at Siam where you just hop over to the connecting train.

I still wonder if it will truly be every ten minutes if there are only 3 new trains in operation or they have some spare rolling stock on loan from the main Sukhumvit line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

So the train terminating at Samrong has to change tracks, rather than the driver just changing cabs?

26 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So the train terminating at Samrong has to change tracks, rather than the driver just changing cabs?

No change from the current situation at Samrong, trains move to the other track on approach, driver changes ends.

1 hour ago, FarangryBirds said:

I still wonder if it will truly be every ten minutes if there are only 3 new trains in operation or they have some spare rolling stock on loan from the main Sukhumvit line.

I believe they've scrounged the "spare" train from Mo Chit too, so 4 trains operating the shuttle.

11 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

So I can ride it tomorrow and explore all around down there, yes?

The PM is having an opening ride in the morning, so don't expect public operation before lunch time.

@Nyezhov you've seen more in one afternoon then we saw in over a year of installing and testing ???? 

There are indeed some excellent and reasonably priced restaurants in the area (lunchtime was the only time we spent outside the stations).

Everything seems to be working reasonably well, some teething troubles to be expected of course.

Next task, the northern extension past Mo Chit, target for the first station, August 2019. At least it's close to the office ????

Bins yes, understood. Signage, agreed, what is there at present is somewhat basic (and sometimes incorrect).

Views, difficult, you're not supposed to take photos on the stations although it's primarily intended to stop people making movies or doing fashion shoots. Also, the whole purpose of mass transit stations is to get people in, get their money and get rid of them on trains all as rapidly as possible. We don't want them clagging stuff up dawdling around, then we go and bung it all up with retail. TiT.

I used the extension for the first time this morning.

I got to Samrong about 8.05, looked like I'd just missed one on it's way to Pu Chao. However, the next one didn't turn up until about 8.25! Due to such a long delay, the train that arrived at Samrong from Paknam was very busy, which in turn meant the Samrong train leaving for Mo Chit was pretty much full on departure after most people had got onto the connecting train, I bet those waiting at Bearing/Bang Na weren't too happy!

I had one of the new trains with the extra standing area. I also noticed that instead of a sign or display showing the stations, the trains now have a long flatscreen display with all the stations listed. I don't think all the stations had an announcement in car "The next station is....", so definitely some kinks to iron out. 

I kept an eye on it out of the office window and it seemed like after about 9.30, trains were going past in either direction every 10-12 minutes. Luckily I timed it right leaving the office as I was only waiting about 4 minutes for one going back to Samrong.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:54 AM, Nyezhov said:

the security guys were whistle crazy

Those guys are out of control. Ten minute wait for the Samrong - Kheha train and all the time one chappie was walking up and down the platform whistling at everyone who looked like putting even a toenail over the yellow line. On the way back another fellow was walking non-stop along the line with a battery operated loud hailer playing a screeching warning message... someone is going to launch that fellow onto the tracks if he keeps it up, even the Thais were giving him dirty looks.

Interesting as mentioned before just how much vacant land there is along the line, but that ten minute wait when changing trains would be a downer if you had to do it every day.

I liked the Robinsons shopping centre opposite Phraek Sa. Not too big, not too small, good range of shops and dining options for a far flung part of Bangkok.

No shortage of taxis either.

E21__.JPG

E21c.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DDBKK said:

In for a penny.

Looks like reasonably decent progress being made all along srinakarin now with actual structural columns starting to reach for the sky.

Not much tangible progress further up that extension on Ladprao Road, no columns up yet, just lots of night time digging...and closed lanes. :unsure:

• 3 months later...

BTS current schedule is:-

N9 - Outside Central Lat Phrao opens in August this year.

N10, N11, N12 (the next three) probably in December this year.

The rest of the north extension, end 2020.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

N9 seems like a pointless station, you can interchange with the MRT...but so does N8 Mo Chit. It’s very close to Central Ladprao, but so is Pahon Yothin MRT.

On the plus side, I must applaud them for getting the Ratcha Yothin underpass open ahead of schedule. The traffic around there had been terrible since the flyover was demolished.

Richard Barrow did mention there was going to be a trial of the MRT extension this month from Hua Lampong to Tha Phra but there hasn’t been any further news of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my above post, now seems to be more news on the Blue Line.

I notice the stations have already began to update the displays with the TV's showing Lak Song as the final stop instead of Hua Luampong

https://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/news/mrt-blue-line-extension-through-chinatown-to-launch-free-test-rides-july

Edited by FarangryBirds
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, FarangryBirds said:

I notice the stations have already began to update the displays with the TV's showing Lak Song as the final stop instead of Hua Luampong

https://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/news/mrt-blue-line-extension-through-chinatown-to-launch-free-test-rides-july

Will be fun to take the first trip UNDER the river.

On 4/15/2019 at 2:54 PM, FarangryBirds said:

It appears that they are upgrading the ferry terminal by the Bang Pho MRT walkway. the first stop from Tao Poon on the new blue line extension (march 20).  The regular ferry stops on the other side now....could become a very bustling place.