The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

Current Progress at end of July

1) MRT Yellow line - 39.92%,

2) MRT Pink Line - 40.13%,

3) MRT Orange line 42.27%

Hi LG,

With all mass transit or infrastructure projects we always see progress reports like that - super accurate two decimal point percentages.  39.92%.  40.13% etc.

I've always been intrigued how they are calculated.  Is it just physical construction, or does it include signalling and testing?  Basically what is it a percentage of and how is it calculated?

Edited by josephbloggs

16 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Hi LG,

With all mass transit or infrastructure projects we always see progress reports like that - super accurate two decimal point percentages.  39.92%.  40.13% etc.

I've always been intrigued how they are calculated.  Is it just physical construction, or does it include signalling and testing?  Basically what is it a percentage of and how is it calculated?

It's the total overall construction progress of the civil works - stations, tunnels or viaduct, any pedestrian links and other related construction. Signalling & electrical installation is commonly done afterwards though some can be done at the same time. You'll note that for the previous update there was a % for this for the Blue line.

As an example, here is the MRTA update of all the various contracts of the Orange line up to the end of July. The 42.27% is thus, the overall figure. 

Contract 1 is for 6.29km underground and 4 underground stations from Thai Cultural Centre interchange station to Rankhamhaeng 12 station.

Contract 2 is for 3.44km underground and 4 underground stations from Ramkhamheang 12 station to Hua Mark station.

Contract 3 is for 4.04km underground and 3 underground stations from Hua Mark station to Klong Ban Ma station.

Contract 4 is 8.8km and 7 elevated stations from Klong Ban Ma to Suwinthawong terminus station

68581147_642831689529519_266667484252209

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 4:06 PM, blackcab said:

Thank you for that, I do appreciate it. The only thing with Rama 4 is that there is a lot of development there right now. The One is going to provide office space for 50,000 workers alone, plus a 1,200 capacity hotel and all the other usual retail outlets, etc.

It will of course be some time before it is finished and even then the office space might not run at capacity.

It's a lot of people in one location though.

I should correct something in my post, it should obviously be soi 40 NOT soi 38. (I was reflecting about the old the food stalls at 38 when I posted this so my stomach overpowered my brain!)

The One is a huge project and has taken a long time to get to this early construction stage given how many years ago the Night market was demolished. However, that project is already serviced by MRT Lumpini station so there still doesn't seem to be a compelling need to duplicate this section of Rama 4 with another mass transit line. (If The One developers are smart they will be building an underground direct link to Lumpini station). An extended BRT running along Sathon and Wireless rd however would provide good connections to both BTS lines for those at The One. The area is proximate to 3 mass transit lines so I'd still be suggesting that other areas of BKK deserve priority first. 

Let's see if the MRTA does indeed take back the Grey line and if they get around to tendering it in the next 2 years first. 

• Thanks 1

(free) MRT extension to Tha Phra on the Thonburi side of the river.

When will it be fully operational? (is it closing at 4pm everyday currently?)

The Stations are marked on Google Maps but not the train line. When will google mark out the line? (you can see on this map that the current blue line is clearly shown in blue up to Hua Lamphong)

345104338_1MRTline.JPG.890747ae954f229043cde4b10509cf87.JPG

Some great updates as always Lakegeneve

Keep them coming.

I actually rode one of the new MRT trains this morning, I noted they do have overhead rails in all areas of the carriage and all seats are still in tact.... for now.

Also, as per the new BTS rolling stock, they have digital displays instead of a map.

20190823_081701.jpg

• Like 2

Converting Sapan Taksin to dual track will not be easy with the limited space available. Will they have to completely demolish the existing station and raise the line above the highway bridge?

This will take years to complete and be a major disruption for Silom line.

He admitted that there is a restriction on the Silom Line due to the bottleneck at Taksin station, where trains are required to share a single section of track.

However, he said the company is in the process of getting permission from the Rural Highway Department and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment to expand the section to dual tracks.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bts-adds-27-more-trains-to-serve-bangkok-commuters

8 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Converting Sapan Taksin to dual track will not be easy with the limited space available. Will they have to completely demolish the existing station and raise the line above the highway bridge?

This will take years to complete and be a major disruption for Silom line.

He admitted that there is a restriction on the Silom Line due to the bottleneck at Taksin station, where trains are required to share a single section of track.

However, he said the company is in the process of getting permission from the Rural Highway Department and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment to expand the section to dual tracks.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bts-adds-27-more-trains-to-serve-bangkok-commuters

After the BMA, announced 4 years ago that they would demolish the station within 12 months and build a 700m pedestrian link to Surasak, there was some political pressure applied to The Rural Highways Dept who are responsible for the bridge. Thereafter, 2 years ago it was agreed that a new wider bridge span would be built on the south side to accommodate enough space and that the north span would be widened. The current issue and delay appears to be one of funding as Highways Dept says BMA should pay for it. However, I haven't seen an update for many months.

There is a render that I posted in another TV thread at the time but I doubt that I can find that thread. Searchable under BKK news.....

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lakegeneve said:

After the BMA, announced 4 years ago that they would demolish the station within 12 months and build a 700m pedestrian link to Surasak, there was some political pressure applied to The Rural Highways Dept who are responsible for the bridge. Thereafter, 2 years ago it was agreed that a new wider bridge span would be built on the south side to accommodate enough space and that the north span would be widened. The current issue and delay appears to be one of funding as Highways Dept says BMA should pay for it. However, I haven't seen an update for many months.

There is a render that I posted in another TV thread at the time but I doubt that I can find that thread. Searchable under BKK news.....

Search Google for "saphan taksin boost" and it is the first image hit.  Don't think I'm allowed to link to it....

Edited by josephbloggs

It's strange to see competition as such between MRT and the BTS over fares, I keep seeing posts and memes on Social Media recently, comparing the costs of riding certain routes to the same destinations on the MRT vs BTS.

eg. Bang Wa to Silom/Sala Daeng was about 35 baht on MRT and 52 on the BTS.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

Sadly, the pictures are no longer showing in your post #66 in the below thread.

On 6/9/2019 at 4:12 PM, Lakegeneve said:

The 10km ext from Rangsit to Thammasat Uni was approved in 2017 and was due to be tendered late last year so hopefully this will be done in the post election period. The 11km 1st part of the southern ext from Bang Sue to Hua lumphong was approved a few years ago. However, this will have to wait while the designs for the Eastern HSR line was finalised as the first section will be from DMK to Phaya Thai to link with the ARL. 

I've mentioned this a few times as a real concern.

Years ago after the Dark Red line tender I was critical that the SRT did not design and tender an integrated super structure viaduct to cater for;

1) SRT Dark Red line,

2) ARL ext to DMK (as it then was),

3) High Speed lines to North & NE (approved back in 2010 before the tender was done).

Thus, when work finally started after a 2 year contract delay the viaduct being built is only for SRT Dark Red line operations - and perhaps some additional narrow gauge services. This meant that two new viaducts would be built for the ARL & HSR lines with an additional station(s) at DMK!

The ARL ext was due to be tendered in 2013 but the Yingluch govt delayed it and then the May 2014 coup caused another 2 year delay. Subsequently, the idea came to include the ARL ext into the Eastern HSR line which has now been contracted and is subject to final design before construction starts early next year.

Read this article, https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375733 

The two pending contracts are related to the construction of railroad in the Bang Sue-Don Muang section, said the minister. “This section is tricky, since parts of the area are overlapping with another high-speed rail project that links three airports – Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi, and U-tapao.”

Thus, now we have the Eastern HSR line which will be built with a new viaduct and thereafter the real possibility that the NE HSR line will also require a separate viaduct along a right of way which is narrow in parts! Let's hope they at least only build 1 additional new station at DMK! 

It is fundamentally ill-conceived and flawed planning!