BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

5.15am and I was able to board a Kasetsart bound train at Asok. 

I didn't realise they were running earlier now. 

20191207_051325.jpg

2 hours ago, FarangryBirds said:

5.15am and I was able to board a Kasetsart bound train at Asok. 

I didn't realise they were running earlier now. 

20191207_051325.jpg

I wish they would run them to 1am on weekends

Not wishing to be outdone the MRT now have ticket machines which can add value to your MRT-Plus card.

Certainly at Chatuchak Park station, probably others.

Video shot by a Thai colleague who forgot to change the language.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how the yellow line will cross the number 7 highway?  The skinny monorail pillars go up to the edge of the motorway (which is elevated here).  How will it span that huge road?  It is seven lanes inbound at that point and 6-7 lanes outbound with no divide between where they can erect a pillar.  There would easily be 2-3 pillars in that space normally, but they can't have any.

Is it going to be a mini suspension bridge?  Or truss?  Just curious to know.

16 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Does anyone know how the yellow line will cross the number 7 highway?  The skinny monorail pillars go up to the edge of the motorway (which is elevated here).  How will it span that huge road?  It is seven lanes inbound at that point and 6-7 lanes outbound with no divide between where they can erect a pillar.  There would easily be 2-3 pillars in that space normally, but they can't have any.

Is it going to be a mini suspension bridge?  Or truss?  Just curious to know.

This video shows animations of the system, including a flight along the route.  It crosses the motorway and airport rail link at ~3:54

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ballpoint said:

This video shows animations of the system, including a flight along the route.  It crosses the motorway and airport rail link at ~3:54

Interesting, thanks.  Seems like just a normal pillar either side, but from seeing it in the flesh it looks way too far to be bridged that way, but then I am no engineer.  Guess will just wait and see.

there's probably enough room on the  median of the hwy7 to have support pillars 

the yellow line right turn from lard prao onto sri nakkarin is probably more problematic, 2 overpass bridge to cross/dismantle and rebuilt at the junction and ramkhamhaeng that's also seeing construction of the orange line underground at the same time 

• Like 1

Yes, allthough I dk what the exact final situation will be, in other lines its also the case that the roads/skyways themselves have been realigned or partly moved. Nothing here in BKK is built for eternity. Ripping down is just as easy as building up. In China they build complete mega-miilion cities from scatch anew.

On 12/3/2019 at 3:46 PM, FarangryBirds said:

It dawned on me while travelling today that the Samut Prakan extension must have been open nearly, or more than a year now and still free to ride....not that I'm grumbling about still only paying 15B to ride from Paknam to Bang Chak (E10). 😎

Nonsense, its a BMA-regulated flat fare of 15 bt for the whole stretch from Onnut onward, this will be added to the BTS fares from Onnut into town, even if its just for 1 stop (where BTS itself would only charge 2/3 bt). Same apllies to the other BMA sectors from WWyai to BangWa and after the 0 fare is finished for the Mochit-Kasert (and later on) new sections.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2019 at 12:59 PM, rak sa_ngop said:

When will we be able to take the Skytrain all the way to Don Meuang?

Never, as it wont be SKYtrainBTS going there. It will run on a viaduct in the sky, but its the RED line of SRT=loss riddled state railways and due to open together with (part of) the giant new main station between Bang Sue and the weekdnmarket sometime/the end of 2563. Just after thus with no easy transfer into BTSMRT yet.

The BTS skytrain as is extendedly cheered here above, was recently lengthened as far as Kasert, quite close to DMK already and is to be further extended via bang Khen, Sapan Mai and on, thus backside=airforce side of DMK with the airlines museum. The way the nr 34/39 buses run from the Vict. Monumen to Rangsit

On 9/30/2019 at 10:28 PM, FarangryBirds said:

When I passed Ha Yaek Latphrao yesterday, I noticed more works. It looks like there will be a skywalk linking closer to the MRT entrance after all.

2 days ago still under construction. Would also very much help quicker transit from BTS to buses, saves a lot of time compared to old situation to do Mochit. Many vans also repalced as starting point. Centran has got it quicker done-direct entry.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:04 AM, Crossy said:

I've not been that way since Purple opened, did they ever get the promised link to the river boats working?

Your confusing, this is the PURPLE line, opened some 2 years ago and bypassing the new govt. lotteree office, just south of Pak Kred. Its no use for a boat interchange, as regular boats do not go that far. The further extension of BLUE line, opened 5/12, runs via another bridge, close by to new parliament and is to have a interchange with the ChaoPraya boatservice, but I guess with limited use, as further up north that purple line already serves most of the newer built area. No, this interch is not yet ready. Frankly, I also think ChPr boat would rather like to keep it that way too.

• Like 1

Question re CHULA monorail loop. Does anyone know the current situation about this planned project? Probably private enterprise and to replace the pinky electric tiny buses that are currently used to transport black&white Chula students too rich or too lazy to walk the odd mile.

And as more MONOrail is to be built: will that also be Chinese stock? They dont have that very much in China and the only other I know of and not that well run is in KUL/Malaysia. Seems that about any other of the plenty of new cars for BTSSRTMRT all come from China Fuzhou now.

I think the daily trials are now live on the remaining 4 stations of the MRT Blue Line loop. 

The stations signage is now showing  final destination as "Tha Phra via Bang Sue" on the platforms for the anticlockwise trains instead of Tao Poon.