BANGKOK 26 May 2019 16:34
Jonathan Fairfield

The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

@Nyezhov you've seen more in one afternoon then we saw in over a year of installing and testing 😞 

There are indeed some excellent and reasonably priced restaurants in the area (lunchtime was the only time we spent outside the stations).

Everything seems to be working reasonably well, some teething troubles to be expected of course.

Next task, the northern extension past Mo Chit, target for the first station, August 2019. At least it's close to the office 🙂

Bins yes, understood. Signage, agreed, what is there at present is somewhat basic (and sometimes incorrect).

Views, difficult, you're not supposed to take photos on the stations although it's primarily intended to stop people making movies or doing fashion shoots. Also, the whole purpose of mass transit stations is to get people in, get their money and get rid of them on trains all as rapidly as possible. We don't want them clagging stuff up dawdling around, then we go and bung it all up with retail. TiT.

34 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Bins yes, understood. Signage, agreed, what is there at present is somewhat basic (and sometimes incorrect).

Views, difficult, you're not supposed to take photos on the stations although it's primarily intended to stop people making moves or doing fashion shoots. Also, the whole purpose of mass transit stations is to get people in, get their money and get rid of them on trains all as rapidly as possible. We don't want them clagging stuff up dawdling around, then we go and bung it all up with retail. TiT.

By signage I mean, like at Pak Nam (and I know it just opened) the way they have it at Asoke and others, perhaps a free stander pointing you to the direction of this "attraction" and that way. I assume that will happen in futuro.

I never thought of the picture taking aspect you raise. Plus the issues I guess of security.

Retail drives me nuts. Like at Sala Daeng, there is food and coffee and drink everywhere right outside the station, yet they have coffee shops and bakeries in the station. Meanwhile, like at Talat Phlu..and Krung Thonburi...nothing. You got to walk a mile to get a cup of joe. But I assume that has to do with traffic patterns, etc.

One question based on your pics... Was it the older trains you travelled on or did you get the newer ones (with reduced seating)?

22 minutes ago, FarangryBirds said:

One question based on your pics... Was it the older trains you travelled on or did you get the newer ones (with reduced seating)?

It had seats iirc, I stood looking out the window though

I used the extension for the first time this morning.

I got to Samrong about 8.05, looked like I'd just missed one on it's way to Pu Chao. However, the next one didn't turn up until about 8.25! Due to such a long delay, the train that arrived at Samrong from Paknam was very busy, which in turn meant the Samrong train leaving for Mo Chit was pretty much full on departure after most people had got onto the connecting train, I bet those waiting at Bearing/Bang Na weren't too happy!

I had one of the new trains with the extra standing area. I also noticed that instead of a sign or display showing the stations, the trains now have a long flatscreen display with all the stations listed. I don't think all the stations had an announcement in car "The next station is....", so definitely some kinks to iron out. 

I kept an eye on it out of the office window and it seemed like after about 9.30, trains were going past in either direction every 10-12 minutes. Luckily I timed it right leaving the office as I was only waiting about 4 minutes for one going back to Samrong.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:54 AM, Nyezhov said:

the security guys were whistle crazy

Those guys are out of control. Ten minute wait for the Samrong - Kheha train and all the time one chappie was walking up and down the platform whistling at everyone who looked like putting even a toenail over the yellow line. On the way back another fellow was walking non-stop along the line with a battery operated loud hailer playing a screeching warning message... someone is going to launch that fellow onto the tracks if he keeps it up, even the Thais were giving him dirty looks.

Interesting as mentioned before just how much vacant land there is along the line, but that ten minute wait when changing trains would be a downer if you had to do it every day.

I liked the Robinsons shopping centre opposite Phraek Sa. Not too big, not too small, good range of shops and dining options for a far flung part of Bangkok.

No shortage of taxis either.

E21__.JPG

E21c.JPG

• Like 2

All that work & still no easy connection to the Northern Bus Terminal...

By the way.. Pricing for Parking (if you don't park directly next to the immigration) in Samut Prakan upgraded already to a higher price than before 😄  BTS thank you. 

In for a penny.

Looks like reasonably decent progress being made all along srinakarin now with actual structural columns starting to reach for the sky.