Jump to content
BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

Recommended Posts

On 7/16/2020 at 12:37 AM, pegman said:

Any of these service D.M. airport? Which line will go there and when is it scheduled to be operational? Thanks

The old SRT has been serving DMK for decades.  You can board it at Bang Su..adjacent to the MRT..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 7:49 PM, Lakegeneve said:

 

Construction progress as at 30 June:

5) BMA Gold Line: 81% - due to commence operations on 1 October.

For those that wish to see Bombardier Innovia APMs in action here is a video of a 6.7km Puijiang line in Shanghai. The video interlaces pics of the Gold line APM rolling stock. Many of you would have used APMs at airports to transfer between terminals or perhaps used the small LRT loop lines in Singapore.

 

The first part of the BMA Gold line is due to open on 1 October.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

Update on SRT Red lines rolling stock:

7 of the 6 car sets have been delivered as have 6 of the 4 car sets = 13 EMUs out of the 25 sets ordered.

By next month another 2 sets (1 of each) will arrive in Thailand.

 

Both SRT Red lines are not expected to be operational until the first quarter of 2022 as they need the new Bang Sue Intercity Terminal to be completed first.

 

It should also be noted that the SRT Light Red line will need some repairs - having been completed in 2012 - as termite damage has been discovered at some of the stations which have been idle and unused since Jan 2014 when temp operations were suspended.

 

 LG, for the Huamak to Phyathai segment of the Light Red Line, how's its alignment going to run relative to the existing ARL line? And the same question for the Light Red Line stations at locations like Phyathai, Makkasan, Ramkhamhaeng and Huamak where there already are existing ARL stations?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

It should also be noted that the SRT Light Red line will need some repairs - having been completed in 2012 - as termite damage has been discovered at some of the stations which have been idle and unused since Jan 2014 when temp operations were suspended.

 

So it's basically going to end up being a decade or more, from 2012 until 2022 or later, from the first limited opening of the Light Red Line until its subsequent more fleshed out revival....  And I see the first contract for the project was supposedly let back in late 2008. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 LG, for the Huamak to Phyathai segment of the Light Red Line, how's its alignment going to run relative to the existing ARL line? And the same question for the Light Red Line stations at locations like Phyathai, Makkasan, Ramkhamhaeng and Huamak where there already are existing ARL stations?

 

You'll read in my previous posts on this section (in the previous thread) that I am very critical of the plan to extend the line to run exactly parallel to the ARL - in fact it is stupid. The plan is to build a new viaduct and new stations adjacent to the current ARL viaduct and stations. The whole plan is patently flawed, why would you build a new line to compete a current one that you operate? If you need more capacity (as the ARL has done so for many years) you just expand the rolling stock and/or increase frequency on the existing line.

 

This section really makes no sense. Then again this is the SRT which has the Bangkok commuter lines master plan which initially proposed the following 3 lines;

1) ARL line - standard gauge EMU,

2) Light Red line - narrow gauge DMU,

3) Dark Red line - narrow gauge EMU.

All of which would have has rolling stock incompatible with the other lines!

 

Given that the next 2 exts (Dark Red: Rangsit  to Thammasat Uni) (Light Red: Taling Chan to Salaya) are still yet to be tendered (approved by Cabinet in July 2016 planned for late 2017 tender), now subject to further delay while the govt considers PPP tenders for these exts, we won't be seeing what happens with the Huamark section for a few years. Add into the mix that the SRT is losing the ARL which will now become the Eastern HSR line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

You'll read in my previous posts on this section (in the previous thread) that I am very critical of the plan to extend the line to run exactly parallel to the ARL - in fact it is stupid. The plan is to build a new viaduct and new stations adjacent to the current ARL viaduct and stations. The whole plan is patently flawed, why would you build a new line to compete a current one that you operate? If you need more capacity (as the ARL has done so for many years) you just expand the rolling stock and/or increase frequency on the existing line.

 

Looney Toons....

 

So the future Light Red Line is going to have its own station, among others, in the Makkasan area -- totally separate from the current huge white elephant, vastly overbuilt station that is the Makkasan ARL station.

 

Any idea how far apart in distance the various dual station (ARL and Light Red Line) locations are going to be from each other?  In terms of allowing or making inconvenient transfers between the two lines?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

You'll read in my previous posts on this section (in the previous thread) that I am very critical of the plan to extend the line to run exactly parallel to the ARL - in fact it is stupid. The plan is to build a new viaduct and new stations adjacent to the current ARL viaduct and stations. The whole plan is patently flawed, why would you build a new line to compete a current one that you operate? If you need more capacity (as the ARL has done so for many years) you just expand the rolling stock and/or increase frequency on the existing line.

 

This section really makes no sense. Then again this is the SRT which has the Bangkok commuter lines master plan which initially proposed the following 3 lines;

1) ARL line - standard gauge EMU,

2) Light Red line - narrow gauge DMU,

3) Dark Red line - narrow gauge EMU.

All of which would have has rolling stock incompatible with the other lines!

 

Given that the next 2 exts (Dark Red: Rangsit  to Thammasat Uni) (Light Red: Taling Chan to Salaya) are still yet to be tendered (approved by Cabinet in July 2016 planned for late 2017 tender), now subject to further delay while the govt considers PPP tenders for these exts, we won't be seeing what happens with the Huamark section for a few years. Add into the mix that the SRT is losing the ARL which will now become the Eastern HSR line. 

Plus the fact that there's isn't enough physical room beside the ARL to build another viaduct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Plus the fact that there's isn't enough physical room beside the ARL to build another viaduct.

There actually is room south of the ARL viaduct and existing ground level trains from Makkasan all the way east, peek around the back of the buildings along Petchburi rd. and you'll see mostly empty lands or with cheaply built structures. Businesses have been paying rent to SRT to use these lands as  carparks and such.

 

When the high speed links and dual tracking were getting into gears, there's talks of not renewing lease on these lands and evictions, but looks like it has stalled again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

You'll read in my previous posts on this section (in the previous thread) that I am very critical of the plan to extend the line to run exactly parallel to the ARL - in fact it is stupid. The plan is to build a new viaduct and new stations adjacent to the current ARL viaduct and stations. The whole plan is patently flawed, why would you build a new line to compete a current one that you operate? If you need more capacity (as the ARL has done so for many years) you just expand the rolling stock and/or increase frequency on the existing line.

 

This section really makes no sense. Then again this is the SRT which has the Bangkok commuter lines master plan which initially proposed the following 3 lines;

1) ARL line - standard gauge EMU,

2) Light Red line - narrow gauge DMU,

3) Dark Red line - narrow gauge EMU.

All of which would have has rolling stock incompatible with the other lines!

 

Given that the next 2 exts (Dark Red: Rangsit  to Thammasat Uni) (Light Red: Taling Chan to Salaya) are still yet to be tendered (approved by Cabinet in July 2016 planned for late 2017 tender), now subject to further delay while the govt considers PPP tenders for these exts, we won't be seeing what happens with the Huamark section for a few years. Add into the mix that the SRT is losing the ARL which will now become the Eastern HSR line. 

Seriously? No way...

So the elevated Dark red line track to DMK can't used by the proposed 3 airport rail link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CLW said:

Seriously? No way...

So the elevated Dark red line track to DMK can't used by the proposed 3 airport rail link?

It was never intended to.

 

The Eastern HSR line will use the ARL. The ARL will need to be shut down for a period of time in order to lay new track and signalling changes but that won't be for a couple of years if construction actually proceeds as planned.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020 at 7:52 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

 

Looney Toons....

 

So the future Light Red Line is going to have its own station, among others, in the Makkasan area -- totally separate from the current huge white elephant, vastly overbuilt station that is the Makkasan ARL station.

 

Any idea how far apart in distance the various dual station (ARL and Light Red Line) locations are going to be from each other?  In terms of allowing or making inconvenient transfers between the two lines?

 

The previous renders had them adjacent to each other.

 

I wouldn't get too worked up about this as it will be many years away if it happens. Look at the brief overview;

  • 2004/05: SRT drafts new commuter network plans and included in the OTOP M-MAP
  • 2009: SRT Light Red and Dark Red lines approved by then Dem govt,
  • 2010-2012: Light Red line built, Dark Red line suffers 2 year contractual dispute with JICA (funding the project), Light Red runs limited services from Dec 2012 to Jan 2014
  • 2013: Construction finally starts on the Dark Red line due for late 2016 completion (Bang Sue Terminal is part of the funding)
  • mid 2016: Cabinet approves Dark Red northern ext to Thammasat Uni, Dark Red southern ext to Hua Lumphong and Light Red western ext to Salaya
  • Aug 2016: SRT finally orders rolling stock for the Light Red and Dark Red lines (remembering that the Dark Red line was due to be completed by late 2016)
  • late 2018: tenders for the Thammasat Uni ext and Salaya ext were due to be out but were delayed,
  • late 2019: above tenders were again due to go out
  • mid 2020: govt announces that tenders for the above will now be further delayed until 2021 in order to explore a PPP project funding basis. That means 4 years after Cabinet approved the first exts for boths lines, the tenders have still not been done!

At this stage the SRT Dark Red and Light Red lines will not open until March - June 2022 contingent on when Bang Sue Terminal is finally completed. That essentially means that it will have taken nearly a decade to build a 26km line!!!

 

Approx order of extenstion consruction:

1) Dark Red line 10km northern ext to Thammasat Uni - construction should be done in 2-3 years,

2) Light Red line 15 km western ext to Salaya- work should take 3 years,

3) Light Red line 6.5km spur line Taling Chan to Siriraj - construction should take 2-3 years,

4) Dark Red line 11km southern ext to Hua Lumphong - 3-4 years,

5) Light Red line 25km eastern ext to Hua Mark via Phaya Thai - 4-5 years

6) Dark Red line 39km ext to Mahachai via Wong Wian Yai - 5-6 years

Note: with all these est time frames add at least 1 year

 

Also note that in the long term future the SRT Dark Red line might be further extended 40km north from Thammasat Uni to Phachai in Ayutthaya province and a further 24km at the southern end from Mahachai to Maeklong. The Light Red line might be also extended 30km from Salaya to Nakhon Pathom in the future. 

 

At this stage 1-3 might be done by 2025 at the earliest, 4 might be done by 2028 and thus 5 probably wont be considered until after 2025. I would still hope that it doesn't get built and that 6 is prioritised before 5. Meanwhile, we will have the Eastern HSR line being built between 2021 to 2024 which will take over the ARL.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

It was never intended to.

 

The Eastern HSR line will use the ARL. The ARL will need to be shut down for a period of time in order to lay new track and signalling changes but that won't be for a couple of years if construction actually proceeds as planned.

Thanks for clarification but it still doesn't make any sense to me.

Whatever, let them Thais do as they want....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020 at 3:37 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So it's basically going to end up being a decade or more, from 2012 until 2022 or later, from the first limited opening of the Light Red Line until its subsequent more fleshed out revival....  And I see the first contract for the project was supposedly let back in late 2008. 

 

On 7/29/2020 at 10:03 AM, Lakegeneve said:

At this stage the SRT Dark Red and Light Red lines will not open until March - June 2022 contingent on when Bang Sue Terminal is finally completed. That essentially means that it will have taken nearly a decade to build a 26km line!!!

 

The decade long saga with the Light Red Line is what I had noted above in our exchanges here....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...