Progress of civil works for lines currently under construction (as of 30 Sept);

1) MRT Blue Line ext: 100% - S&E installation: 61%
2) BTS Northern ext: 79%
3) MRT Orange Line: 18.33%
4) MRT Pink line: 10.57% and
5) MRT Yellow line: 9.61%
6) SRT Dark Red Line: 97.94%
7) Tinky toy 2.2km Gold Line: approx 7%

Any information about opening of the SRT dark red line?

Current BTS North extension dates.

• N9 (Central Lad Prao) opening August 12th this year (my understanding is that it will be free initially).
  • N10-N13 opening December this year.
  • Rest of the extension opening December 2020.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 6:56 PM, CLW said:

Any information about opening of the SRT dark red line?

October 2020 is the current date (it was previously 1st quarter 2021). However, that depends on two external factors; delivery of the rolling stock which the SRT ordered late and completion of the new Bang Sue Terminal.

When construction finally commenced in mid 2013 after a 2.5 yr contractual delay, it was said that it would be open by late 2016. The delay is huge in that context. Not to forget that the 15km SRT Light Red line was built from in less than 3 yrs (Jan 2010 to Sept 2012). 

The 10km ext from Rangsit to Thammasat Uni was approved in 2017 and was due to be tendered late last year so hopefully this will be done in the post election period. The 11km 1st part of the southern ext from Bang Sue to Hua lumphong was approved a few years ago. However, this will have to wait while the designs for the Eastern HSR line was finalised as the first section will be from DMK to Phaya Thai to link with the ARL. 

The whole SRT Dark Red line will eventually be some 87kms long when completed some time next century!

• Like 2

• N9 (Central Lad Prao) opening August 12th this year (my understanding is that it will be free initially).

So if I count correctly, N13 is Kasetsart University?
Thank God, finally getting there without traffic jam...

October 2020 is the current date (it was previously 1st quarter 2021). However, that depends on two external factors; delivery of the rolling stock which the SRT ordered late and completion of the new Bang Sue Terminal.

When construction finally commenced in mid 2013 after a 2.5 yr contractual delay, it was said that it would be open by late 2016. The delay is huge in that context. Not to forget that the 15km SRT Light Red line was built from in less than 3 yrs (Jan 2010 to Sept 2012). 

The 10km ext from Rangsit to Thammasat Uni was approved in 2017 and was due to be tendered late last year so hopefully this will be done in the post election period. The 11km 1st part of the southern ext from Bang Sue to Hua lumphong was approved a few years ago. However, this will have to wait while the designs for the Eastern HSR line was finalised as the first section will be from DMK to Phaya Thai to link with the ARL. 

The whole SRT Dark Red line will eventually be some 87kms long when completed some time next century!
That sounds like a never ending story. I can remember some stations have been completed at least 7 years ago if I remember correctly. I passed them with the regular SRT train to the south

15 hours ago, CLW said:

So if I count correctly, N13 is Kasetsart University?
Thank God, finally getting there without traffic jam...

It is indeed 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

I need a map to guide me, so others might as well.

bangkok-metro-2029.jpg

I was at Central Ladprao very recently, it looks like they will really have to speed up works on that station & surrounding area to have it ready for August 12.

47 minutes ago, FarangryBirds said:

I was at Central Ladprao very recently, it looks like they will really have to speed up works on that station & surrounding area to have it ready for August 12.

Tell me about it. 

The civils chaps are throwing manpower at it and a lot has happened in the last weeks. I have hopes.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 6:12 PM, Lakegeneve said:

When the BTS ext from On Nut to Bearing opened in August 2011 (2 years late due to a BMA official being scared to issue the S&E tender), provision was made for a spur line to run down Bang Na-Trat rd to the airport. You'll see the viaduct widen after Udom Suk and a little before the intersection - actually right at suk soi 103/4 where the huge block of land is for the future "largest shopping center in asia" and just adjacent where the new Eastern Bus terminal will be located.

This spur line was never part of the original BTS expansion plans nor the original M-Map Master plan, but was added as an idea by the BMA around 2006/7 to cater for the future T3 at the airport and provide an alternate route for the then yet to be built ARL. M-Map has since been updated in 2017, but still does not include this line.

Subsequently, Samak Prakan City Hall proposed to OTP in MOT that it be a light rail line. However, they also had the idea 3 years ago to build a LRL providing a link from City Hall up Srinakarin rd to Bang NaTrat then east so they need to resolve these two ideas. Currently, we need a bunch of lines and exts (Purple South, Blue west, Orange west, Brown line, BTS Silom west est) to progress to tendering before this line is resolved.

Someone asked me a few years in the previous thread when this will be built. At the time, I suggest not until after 2023-2025 at the earliest but now the latter date is more plausible. The delays with construction of T2 and with T3 not even being approved also delay this line as it will essentially run to T3 and the APM that will be built linking the terminals. That's not to say a line along the Bang Na - Trat corridor is not currently needed, only that there are other pieces of the network that need to be in place first.

Thanks for this detailed information and explanation. Makes sense what you say. I don't want to argue with your timeline or reasoning. Just some thoughts added:

1. Living at Mega Bangna it seems they wanna built a huge little own city there. That being said I wouldn't wonder if Mega Bangna itself helps to shorten the timeline you mentioned. I really wouldn't wonder.

2. The traffic from Mega Bangna till Udom Suk (and from Udom Suk inside the city I don't even have to mention that) is super packed. In rush hours you stay nearly 30-60 minutes till you reach Udom Suk. I am not sure if that is not needed as you explained. I feel there is a lot of traffic coming from up here. 

3. Condos being built here are advertising with this BTS line already. Not saying they know better, but I don't know if they really lie to their customers and if they really say it takes 5 years. Again just an indication that I believe in a shorter timeframe.

4. Wondering how independent Samut Prakan is from Bangkok regarding Budget. But again I live here only 3 years so I am not the most knowledgeable guy.

Saw the stuff at Udom Suk yes. So from my perspective it is all prepared to built (if they have the budget and resources of course). 

Again just my thoughts to this and some hope that it will be started to built in 1 year from now or so. But most probably if we both meet up here in 2023 at Thaivisa your prediction will be right.

On 6/13/2019 at 2:35 AM, burner2014 said:

Thanks for this detailed information and explanation. Makes sense what you say. I don't want to argue with your timeline or reasoning. Just some thoughts added:

1. Living at Mega Bangna it seems they wanna built a huge little own city there. That being said I wouldn't wonder if Mega Bangna itself helps to shorten the timeline you mentioned. I really wouldn't wonder.

2. The traffic from Mega Bangna till Udom Suk (and from Udom Suk inside the city I don't even have to mention that) is super packed. In rush hours you stay nearly 30-60 minutes till you reach Udom Suk. I am not sure if that is not needed as you explained. I feel there is a lot of traffic coming from up here. 

3. Condos being built here are advertising with this BTS line already. Not saying they know better, but I don't know if they really lie to their customers and if they really say it takes 5 years. Again just an indication that I believe in a shorter timeframe.

4. Wondering how independent Samut Prakan is from Bangkok regarding Budget. But again I live here only 3 years so I am not the most knowledgeable guy.

Saw the stuff at Udom Suk yes. So from my perspective it is all prepared to built (if they have the budget and resources of course). 

Again just my thoughts to this and some hope that it will be started to built in 1 year from now or so. But most probably if we both meet up here in 2023 at Thaivisa your prediction will be right.

You can hope all you want but it's not going to happen for a at least a few years.

There are currently 5 extensions which have been delayed for the last 2 years which are a priority (MRT Purple South, MRT Orange West, SRT Light Red west, SRT Dark Red north & MRT Blue west). All of these have been approved previously and indeed some are actually delayed from original tender dates of 2013! Thereafter, you have the 3 BTS extensions which are much more advanced - 2 of which have been approved. Then you have the MRT Brown Line which be tendered next year along with the N2 Expressway. 

All of those are priorities before this line/ext. 

1&2) Mega and the whole area has had bad traffic for years. None of that really matters in determining when a line will be approved. The BTS north ext from Mo Chit to Saphan Mai (as it was initially to be) was first meant to open in 2008! Phahon Yothin rd has always been one of the worst traffic corridors in Bangkok. The same could be said for the MRT Blue line extension along Phetkasem rd, a terrible road corridor. That didn't stop the tender for the MRT Blue ext being delayed by 3 years and the planned opening of late 2016 ending up being 3rd quarter 2019!

Again, a main determining factor will be when T3 is approved.

3) You are not really suggesting that property developers don't lie are you?!? I could give you dozens of examples of condo projects promising in their brochures that X or Y line will open soon. 5-10 years ago, most of them had inaccurate route maps which magically passed their condo, let alone having any idea of when a line/ext will open.

Pray and hope all you want but the only element which would bump this ext/line up the priority list would be simple vested interests by one of the governing parties due to important figures having property interests along this route. This is exactly what happened with the northern section of the Purple line being approved first rather than the more important southern section. Thank the then BJT senior party figures then in governing coalition for that. 

• Like 1