BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

16 hours ago, CLW said:

Is there a similar thread on TVF about the development of railway infrastructure nationwide?

Not right now and to be honest I don't think there's currently enough actual action going on to support one. It's currently all talk-talk not do-do 😞

Once construction of the High-Speed Rail, Three-Airports and the Eastern Branch of the Red Line gets going maybe. There are also several double-tracking projects in the works but I'm not convinced there's a widae appeal for news.

This thead (actually it predecessor) started from a simple question about some structures going up, it's morphed somewhat from there into "anything about mass transit in Bangkok".

Not right now and to be honest I don't think there's currently enough actual action going on to support one. It's currently all talk-talk not do-do [emoji20]

Once construction of the High-Speed Rail, Three-Airports and the Eastern Branch of the Red Line gets going maybe. There are also several double-tracking projects in the works but I'm not convinced there's a widae appeal for news.

This thead (actually it predecessor) started from a simple question about some structures going up, it's morphed somewhat from there into "anything about mass transit in Bangkok".

I was just asking because yesterday I took the train (Special Express, actually a second hand commuter train, I guess from Korea) Khon Khaen and after some junction back to the main line there were all new stations, platforms and a lot of track works going on.

Just wondering if this will be all obsolete if they ever built that high speed line to Nong Khai. From seeing the train network in China most of the high speed network and also the stations are separated from the rest of the network, probably because of track layout, topography etc.

So back to all these new stations and platforms, looking great and proper work done. Now if the SRT would finally buy some decent rolling stock...
As I said my train was called Special Express but it was an old commuter train with uncomfortable seats and only fan, no aircon. I'm not an expert, but is it so hard to replace the seats and put an aircon inside? In Indonesia they had those ordinary ac wall units installed with the compressor in a outside cage under the car's floor.

Some photos on N9 today.

Masses of man (and woman) power being thrown at it.

Opening scheduled for August 11th.

20190624_105547.jpg.389d501c2c2528bcbe0bef3c42abce4c.jpg

20190624_105615.jpg.23e94e69d3325577e0eb21e5fdb36de7.jpg

20190624_105619.jpg.58e64930cdb6ff49502e20af3412e00f.jpg

20190624_110135.jpg.b83dc4e15417dad542fad28e5cf5b581.jpg

20190624_110328.jpg.5c1ac33852a0c9c8290942d95100bc44.jpg

20190624_110338.jpg.f9201096fcf930bb79731c0881c4be72.jpg

20190624_104603.jpg.1529e48ddde68b94eea84df76ce8ca92.jpg

20190624_104932.jpg.226c04a55e46e156572237d313009dfc.jpg

20190624_105313.jpg.63ca47ab62ae644eab7317d5ac20b081.jpg

20190624_105339.jpg.32ae6a248d939912ae9e0b63b852473f.jpg

20190624_105343.jpg.4fd64899110b78824b9178db3c81b990.jpg

Do you still have hopes? [emoji4]

10 minutes ago, FarangryBirds said:

Do you still have hopes? emoji4.png

Can I let you know on August 10th?

Actually, although it may not seem like it, progress is good behind the scenes getting the railway systems installed. Front of house it's mostly cosmetic (ceilings, floor finishes etc.) and removing all the building material detritus.

• Like 1

I was at the old bang su station yesterday.  It occurred to me that this whole train thing is going to be a total disaster, that will be paid for by several generations.  Their IT is about 40 years behind, or more.  Even if they do build the thing correctly, ticketing and accounting problems will make for a poor customer experience.  And the cost of tickets?  To buy in advance, they wanted 410 THB for a 210 km trip, that even if done on time, would cost about double what a VIP 24 seat bus ticket cost, and the Thai preferred van death ride even less.  410 is for some relic sprinter train that is as old as I am.  So they are already pushing the envelope on fares.. how much will they increase it for a new system?  700 km trip to Chiang Mai? . I haven't paid more than 700 THB in years.. on a modern jet.  Even at a 1000 THB, they won't have enough takers to pay interest to China, and most would prefer flying.  Like a lot of things, it sounds good.. kind of like free education and Healthcare.. but reality is in dark contrast.  Maybe Deep Red is a more appropriate name than Dark Red. 

Edited by moontang

4 hours ago, moontang said:

I was at the old bang su station yesterday.  It occurred to me that this whole train thing is going to be a total disaster, that will be paid for by several generations.  Their IT is about 40 years behind, or more.  Even if they do build the thing correctly, ticketing and accounting problems will make for a poor customer experience.  And the cost of tickets?  To buy in advance, they wanted 410 THB for a 210 km trip, that even if done on time, would cost about double what a VIP 24 seat bus ticket cost, and the Thai preferred van death ride even less.  410 is for some relic sprinter train that is as old as I am.  So they are already pushing the envelope on fares.. how much will they increase it for a new system?  700 km trip to Chiang Mai? . I haven't paid more than 700 THB in years.. on a modern jet.  Even at a 1000 THB, they won't have enough takers to pay interest to China, and most would prefer flying.  Like a lot of things, it sounds good.. kind of like free education and Healthcare.. but reality is in dark contrast.  Maybe Deep Red is a more appropriate name than Dark Red. 

I would take a high speed train that took 3-4 hours every time over messing around at airports, even if it cost the same as a plane ticket. However i agree that it in no way will do anything but lose money hand over fist, if it is ever built.

• Like 1

It's a pity there is not a station between G1 and G2 on the Gold line. Without one, it's mostly useless to all the green condos in the area on the map above.

Residents of condos on Charoen Nakhon road wanting to go to IconSiam have the option of: 

1) walking back to G1 to take the train to G2, which would take longer than walking to IconSiam directly.

2) Taking their condo boat across the river, then taking the IconSiam boat. 

3) Walking the 600m to IconSiam

It's as if they just want it to feed the mall and not really be used as public transport.

4 hours ago, YT3k72Em said:

It's a pity there is not a station between G1 and G2 on the Gold line. Without one, it's mostly useless to all the green condos in the area on the map above.

It's as if they just want it to feed the mall and not really be used as public transport.

Exactly, it is not a PT based project....just a feeder for shoppers.

For your first sentence, this is what I alluded to in may last line. The original plan for the BTS extension to WWY was to have 3 stations, the 1st located immediately west of Charoen Nakhon for easy access and cross river trips, the next half way along Ratchapruek rd and the WWY station immediately above Taksin rd for ease of interchange both with the future Purple line but also the SRT WWY station. The final plan to save money culled the first station and the other 2 were adjusted accordingly.

Thus, the Gold Line has to do a 600m leg to Krung Thong Buri station when it could have just terminated at Ratchapruek & Charoen Nakhon to interchange with a BTS station there and also provide easy access to the river pier. This would have also meant an easy future south extension along Charoen Nakhon to Rama 3 bridge/Ratchadapisek rd as other parts of the river on the Thonburi side are redeveloped.

• Thanks 1

I wondered what was being built next to WWY Station, that clears it up.

Thai news report on a test run to Yaak Latphrao:

On 7/3/2019 at 10:33 AM, YT3k72Em said:

Residents of condos on Charoen Nakhon road wanting to go to IconSiam have the option of: 

1) walking back to G1 to take the train to G2, which would take longer than walking to IconSiam directly.

2) Taking their condo boat across the river, then taking the IconSiam boat. 

3) Walking the 600m to IconSiam

I think it's clear, that you have to walk or use a moto-taxi.

600 meter is not that much, and for sure much faster than any other option specialy when you count in the waiting for the ride as well.

Instead of a station between I would prefer a skywalk similar to Siam to Chitlom much more!

Edited by HampiK

On 7/12/2019 at 3:49 PM, HampiK said:

I think it's clear, that you have to walk or use a moto-taxi.

600 meter is not that much, and for sure much faster than any other option specialy when you count in the waiting for the ride as well.

Instead of a station between I would prefer a skywalk similar to Siam to Chitlom much more!

There is also the the option of the 7 THB shuttle buses that go up and down the street from the BTS to Siam Icon.

• Thanks 1