BANGKOK 23 July 2019 23:19
Jonathan Fairfield

The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

4 hours ago, moontang said:

I was at the old bang su station yesterday.  It occurred to me that this whole train thing is going to be a total disaster, that will be paid for by several generations.  Their IT is about 40 years behind, or more.  Even if they do build the thing correctly, ticketing and accounting problems will make for a poor customer experience.  And the cost of tickets?  To buy in advance, they wanted 410 THB for a 210 km trip, that even if done on time, would cost about double what a VIP 24 seat bus ticket cost, and the Thai preferred van death ride even less.  410 is for some relic sprinter train that is as old as I am.  So they are already pushing the envelope on fares.. how much will they increase it for a new system?  700 km trip to Chiang Mai? . I haven't paid more than 700 THB in years.. on a modern jet.  Even at a 1000 THB, they won't have enough takers to pay interest to China, and most would prefer flying.  Like a lot of things, it sounds good.. kind of like free education and Healthcare.. but reality is in dark contrast.  Maybe Deep Red is a more appropriate name than Dark Red. 

I would take a high speed train that took 3-4 hours every time over messing around at airports, even if it cost the same as a plane ticket. However i agree that it in no way will do anything but lose money hand over fist, if it is ever built.

• Like 1

It's a pity there is not a station between G1 and G2 on the Gold line. Without one, it's mostly useless to all the green condos in the area on the map above.

Residents of condos on Charoen Nakhon road wanting to go to IconSiam have the option of: 

1) walking back to G1 to take the train to G2, which would take longer than walking to IconSiam directly.

2) Taking their condo boat across the river, then taking the IconSiam boat. 

3) Walking the 600m to IconSiam

It's as if they just want it to feed the mall and not really be used as public transport.

4 hours ago, YT3k72Em said:

It's a pity there is not a station between G1 and G2 on the Gold line. Without one, it's mostly useless to all the green condos in the area on the map above.

It's as if they just want it to feed the mall and not really be used as public transport.

Exactly, it is not a PT based project....just a feeder for shoppers.

For your first sentence, this is what I alluded to in may last line. The original plan for the BTS extension to WWY was to have 3 stations, the 1st located immediately west of Charoen Nakhon for easy access and cross river trips, the next half way along Ratchapruek rd and the WWY station immediately above Taksin rd for ease of interchange both with the future Purple line but also the SRT WWY station. The final plan to save money culled the first station and the other 2 were adjusted accordingly.

Thus, the Gold Line has to do a 600m leg to Krung Thong Buri station when it could have just terminated at Ratchapruek & Charoen Nakhon to interchange with a BTS station there and also provide easy access to the river pier. This would have also meant an easy future south extension along Charoen Nakhon to Rama 3 bridge/Ratchadapisek rd as other parts of the river on the Thonburi side are redeveloped.

• Thanks 1

I wondered what was being built next to WWY Station, that clears it up.

Thai news report on a test run to Yaak Latphrao:

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2019 at 10:33 AM, YT3k72Em said:

Residents of condos on Charoen Nakhon road wanting to go to IconSiam have the option of: 

1) walking back to G1 to take the train to G2, which would take longer than walking to IconSiam directly.

2) Taking their condo boat across the river, then taking the IconSiam boat. 

3) Walking the 600m to IconSiam

I think it's clear, that you have to walk or use a moto-taxi.

600 meter is not that much, and for sure much faster than any other option specialy when you count in the waiting for the ride as well.

Instead of a station between I would prefer a skywalk similar to Siam to Chitlom much more!

Edited by HampiK

On 7/12/2019 at 3:49 PM, HampiK said:

I think it's clear, that you have to walk or use a moto-taxi.

600 meter is not that much, and for sure much faster than any other option specialy when you count in the waiting for the ride as well.

Instead of a station between I would prefer a skywalk similar to Siam to Chitlom much more!

There is also the the option of the 7 THB shuttle buses that go up and down the street from the BTS to Siam Icon.

• Thanks 1

The only time I went to Icon Siam I tried that free shuttle bus from the mall, had to wait a long old time for it to turn up, and feared the worst traffic wise with the construction nearby but I was at the BTS in a few minutes.

Yes a skywalk would be a good alternative, especially since there are big hotels and condos there like Peninsula and The River.

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Stairs for the disabled? Whatever next, lifts?

Amazingly there is actually a government requirement for stairs for those with reduced mobility (<15cm riser and >30cm step). This is in accordance with the recent changes by the Ministry Regulation No. 55.