The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

Jonathan Fairfield

17 hours ago, Gaccha said:

Any word on the blue line MRT Tao Poon-Tha Phra Extension? It is scheduled to open 2 March 2020.

March 2020 yes, but I'm not sure if there is a confirmed opening date in March as yet? Did you read 2 March on the MRTA site? 

Well, The Spider (Mangmoom) has risen from the grave again.

Report in Thai (use google Translate) of Thursday's CTAC meeting https://www.thaiquote.org/content/228302

Model 2.jpg

My interpretation of the outcome (I wasn't there, meeting is all in Thai, but I have a mole):-

After a 6 month development and implementation period:-
  • Green Line and the BRT will accept MRT-Plus.
  • Blue and Purple Lines will accept Rabbit.
  • Note - ARL are already implementing MRT-Plus, they will NOT be accepting Rabbit

Then, after a suitable period the Mangmoom will rise from the grave. Note that this is Mangmoom EMV not the old closed-loop version so it should mean you can travel with your contactless credit card.

Mangmoom will be accepted by all transit providers, the already existing MRT-Plus / Rabbit arrangements will NOT be discontinued.
So, if I'm interpreting this correctly, at some point in the reasonably near future:-
  • Green Line will accept - Rabbit, MRT-Plus, Mangmoom.
  • Pink / Yellow Line will accept - Rabbit, Mangmoom (but NOT MRT-Plus).
  • Blue and Purple Line will accept - Rabbit, MRT-Plus, Mangmoom.
  • ARL will accept - Own card, MRT-Plus, Mangmoom.
  • Red Line - Own card, Mangmoom (just guessing here MRT-plus may figure depending upon timescales).
* I have no idea what's happening with the buses or ferries, I expect Mangmoom will be in there somewhere.

Of course, we've tried this before, several times, so I'm not taking any bets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blackcab said:

@Crossy That's really good news. Does this proposal mean that eventually EMV will be accepted everywhere?

Theoretically yes, but until we actually see some requirements all bets are off. OTP / MRTA seem to have cornered the market in esoteric solutions for relatively simple problems.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

For a change some monorail photos. Opening "early" 2021.

Yellow Line Admin Building / OCC.

YL-admin.jpg

Pink Line station PK 30

pk30-1.jpg

pk30-2.jpg

Nice, thanks.

I drove quite a long way along Sri Nakarin yesterday and the yellow line is coming along really well.  A majority of the pillars are up, some stations are taking shape, and the monorail beams (not sure what the correct term is - the things the train will ride along) are even in place in a couple of places.  Living near Hua Mark station and working at Punnawithi I can't wait for this thing to be finished.

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

... and the monorail beams (not sure what the correct term is - the things the train will ride along) ...

"Beams" is the correct term ????

There would be more up, but a "scheduling issue" at the casting yard meant that they made beams for sections where the columns were not up (or was it they put up columns where beams weren't ready) and vice-versa.

So there are a fair number in storage :whistling: 

• Like 1

Are there any serious plans to build the station at N6 -- between Ari and Saphan Kwai? This 'future station' was on the transit maps when the BTS first opened in 2000, and can still be seen on some maps. Would be great for me because it would be at the end of my soi and I wouldn't have to walk all the way to Ari, but I'm not holding my breath.

As someone who has lived in Bangkok since long before the rail transit system, I think it's great and am very happy to see the continuing expansion of both the BTS and MRT. Especially the MRT extension to Chinatown and Rattanakosin. That is awesome. The other day I had to go to Ban Mo to get some speaker cable and other electrical parts -- so convenient from the Sam Yot station.

Edited by dekestone

December should be a good month, as well as further stations on the Northern Green Line BTS, MRT are starting the trial runs on the anti-clockwise loop from Tao Poon through to Tha Phra. 

I'm guessing for the time being you'll need to change at Tao Poon going anticlockwise and Tha Phra if you're coming clockwise from Hua Lampong. 

1 minute ago, FarangryBirds said:

December should be a good month, as well as further stations on the Northern Green Line BTS, MRT are starting the trial runs on the anti-clockwise loop from Tao Poon through to Tha Phra. 

I'm guessing for the time being you'll need to change at Tao Poon going anticlockwise and Tha Phra if you're coming clockwise from Hua Lampong. 

Thats going to be a great way to open up a lot of the lesser known but still cool temples and places over there. Cant wait.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 7:16 PM, dekestone said:

Are there any serious plans to build the station at N6 -- between Ari and Saphan Kwai? This 'future station' was on the transit maps when the BTS first opened in 2000, and can still be seen on some maps. Would be great for me because it would be at the end of my soi and I wouldn't have to walk all the way to Ari, but I'm not holding my breath.

As someone who has lived in Bangkok since long before the rail transit system, I think it's great and am very happy to see the continuing expansion of both the BTS and MRT. Especially the MRT extension to Chinatown and Rattanakosin. That is awesome. The other day I had to go to Ban Mo to get some speaker cable and other electrical parts -- so convenient from the Sam Yot station.

BMA did state at the end of 2017 that this station would be built (along with S4) in 2018 and then they said mid last year that it would be delayed until 2019........choose a year and you could be right!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

S4 is under construction, supposed to open back end of next year.

I'm not aware of any plans for N6 I'm afraid.

I rode from Hat Yek to Phra Khanong the other day and was amazed at how fast I could make that schelp. Im very impressed by the system. I know there are niggling problems, but its world class.

17 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

Most know by now with Crossy's great updates that the section from Five intersection Latphrao to Kasetsart Uni will open on Dec 4 - from 1pm I believe?

It depends upon what dignitaries are involved, 1PM is probably close for public operation.

By the way, the extension will be free to ride at least until early next year.

I also see that MoChit is getting the "missing" stairs and the escalator up to the northbound platform.

And don't forget you can now top up and buy passes for your Rabbit card at the big ticket machines at all BTS stations.

Four stations of the Blue are opening tomorrow for free rides....looks like you can start by Gateway Mall at Bang Pho, but not Tao Poon.  They have been doing a lot of work on the ferry terminal there, but have yet to bring the stop over from the west side of the river.  I predict Bang Pho will be a boom town kind of place, and massive transportation hub.

Screenshot_20191203-091308.png

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 6:30 AM, Crossy said:

It depends upon what dignitaries are involved, 1PM is probably close for public operation.

By the way, the extension will be free to ride at least until early next year.

I also see that MoChit is getting the "missing" stairs and the escalator up to the northbound platform.

And don't forget you can now top up and buy passes for your Rabbit card at the big ticket machines at all BTS stations.

It dawned on me while travelling today that the Samut Prakan extension must have been open nearly, or more than a year now and still free to ride....not that I'm grumbling about still only paying 15B to ride from Paknam to Bang Chak (E10). ????