BANGKOK 19 August 2019 08:14
Jonathan Fairfield

The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

Why would you expect such integrated planning in BKK? The MRTA didn't even ask the BTSC for input when they designed the stations.....

At Asoke escalators between MRT and BTS didn't open until 1 year after the MRT opened.
At Silom, the pedestrian link didn't open until 2 years later,
At Makkasan the US$3m pedestrian link between the MRT & ARL didn't open until nearly 3 years later......

The only connection where a link was built as part of the project was the pedestrian link between MRT Purple line and SRT Light Red line at Bang Son when the Purple line opened in August 2016. The only problem, the SRT Light Red line ceased operations in Jan 2014!!

I suspect the MRTA expects most people to interchange at Mo Chit once the full extension opens.
TiT This is Thailand 4.0
  • Haha 1

I'm quite surprised that nobody has commented yet on the (lack of) modifications to Mo Chit station to cope with northbound passengers

We'll see that probably in two years. Planning ahead is not really a strength of Thai mindset

10 minutes ago, CLW said:

We'll see that probably in two years. Planning ahead is not really a strength of Thai mindset

The additional stairs and escalator were definitely in the original architectural designs but they seem to have, er, fallen off somewhere 😞

The last of the north extension is due to open in December 2020, we shall see if anything occurs.

• Like 1

How long until google map adds the newly opened stations? Anyone know how this usually works?

I should add to my comment. The Stations are flagged on google, but the rail line is nowhere to be seen).

Which line is currently being constructed along Sri Nakarin Road, and which of the existing stations will it connect with? I'd guess Hua Mak Airport Link station at one end?

I was told it is the red line . Links Samut Sakorn (Kheha et al to the line that runs parallel to Vipvadi Rangsit/Lat Phroa

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I was told it is the red line . Links Samut Sakorn (Kheha et al to the line that runs parallel to Vipvadi Rangsit/Lat Phroa

No, it's the Yellow Line monorail, isn't it? From Rachada, along Lat Phrao, Sri Nakarin and ending up at Samrong where it connects with the BTS. 

Connects to the ARL at Hua Mark. Gonna make my journey to work so much easier when it's finally finished. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dantilley said:

Which line is currently being constructed along Sri Nakarin Road, and which of the existing stations will it connect with? I'd guess Hua Mak Airport Link station at one end?

A simple Google search would reveal that this is the Yellow line. Try a search and you can see maps of all the BTS, MRT, ARL.

18 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

No, it's the Yellow Line monorail, isn't it? From Rachada, along Lat Phrao, Sri Nakarin and ending up at Samrong where it connects with the BTS. 

Connects to the ARL at Hua Mark. Gonna make my journey to work so much easier when it's finally finished. 

OK stand corrected.

58 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Good to know, thanks. Seems to be progressing well so far.

On 8/13/2019 at 5:26 PM, Crossy said:

I'm quite surprised that nobody has commented yet on the (lack of) modifications to Mo Chit station to cope with northbound passengers 🙂

Many times, Mo Chit can't cope with passengers before any extension. I've seen lines running down the stairway to the street!

All the train systems are woefully lacking.

Edited by Curt1591

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Correct.

bangkok-metro-2029.jpg

2 hours ago, dantilley said:

Found this:

http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Bangkok-Rail-Transit-Network-Map

Are those the real station names?! "Happy Land" for example? Also they have the old name of "Seri Centre" which changed to be Paradise Park a few years ago.

This was the first real attempt at drawing a future network map done by Khun Zoowatch (a scientist and rail enthusiast) back in 04/05. He stopped updating it about 08/09 given the constant delays in new routes being tendered. Thus, a lot of station names were inserted as place names as exact plans were not advanced

Honestly, there are already a bunch of maps posted on this thread and all one needs to do is to look back a few pages.....there are literally 4 maps posted 5 pages back!

Edited by Lakegeneve