UK Pensions (2018)

CharlieH

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Depends on your birthday. You will be allocated a day and the payment will be credited 4 weeks following that day after your birthday. I was allocated a Friday, and was almost 5 weeks after my birthday, lost 5 days pension. The day you get is dependent on your NI number, someone did post the formula some time ago.

I don't actually get my pension on my birthday. I fall into the group that had their retirement age increased gradually until it is what it is today (67). I was 65 in January but don't get my pension until May. In my letter of invitation, it mentions May 2nd but expect exact details as per your post when my paperwork arrives 2 weeks before my pension is due (fingers crossed).

One thing that I don't fully understand is that my weekly pension is £5 short of the maximum, even though I have way more than the required number of NI contributions. My letter did mention me opting out of a government pension scheme (presumably SERPS) but I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference with the new Universal Pension. I presumed that everyone got the same amount. If SERPS opt outs reduce the amount, it will only be a minority who receive the full amount of Universal Pension. What's "universal" about that?

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I don't actually get my pension on my birthday. I fall into the group that had their retirement age increased gradually until it is what it is today (67). I was 65 in January but don't get my pension until May. In my letter of invitation, it mentions May 2nd but expect exact details as per your post when my paperwork arrives 2 weeks before my pension is due (fingers crossed).

Thanks, I didn't realise it was incremental, just thought it jumped from 65 to 66. My letter said I would be paid 4 weeks from the 1st of Sept, sounds like your start date could be May 2nd but as you say the final letter will be more specific. Wonder if the time reduction is due to overload/cutbacks/brexit, I got my final letter about 8 weeks before the start date.

33 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The day you get is dependent on your NI number, someone did post the formula some time ago.

Based on last two numbers of your NI number

00-19 Monday

20-39 Tuesday

40-59 Wednesday

60-79 Thursday

80-99 Friday.

22 hours ago, evadgib said:

The comments section is typically hostile to the idea of updating ex pat pensions. The public seem to think we pay no tax and that not using the NHS and other services means we should be financially penalized. Of course the portrayal of pensioners abroad in the media is partly to blame,  articles often include photos of middle aged looking couples strolling along palm fringed beaches or sipping cocktails. Unfortunately frozen pensions can cause real hardship.

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Thanks, I didn't realise it was incremental, just thought it jumped from 65 to 66. My letter said I would be paid 4 weeks from the 1st of Sept, sounds like your start date could be May 2nd but as you say the final letter will be more specific. Wonder if the time reduction is due to overload/cutbacks/brexit, I got my final letter about 8 weeks before the start date.

No, the time reduction started a good number of years ago, I have known my retirement date for several years. However, it's only now that it's coming into effect. I'm in the first wave of people who have had their retirement age increased. Hence only an increase of 4 1/2 months.

23 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

The comments section is typically hostile to the idea of updating ex pat pensions. The public seem to think we pay no tax and that not using the NHS and other services means we should be financially penalized. Of course the portrayal of pensioners abroad in the media is partly to blame,  articles often include photos of middle aged looking couples strolling along palm fringed beaches or sipping cocktails. Unfortunately frozen pensions can cause real hardship.

Which is a point I made to the Foreign Secretary when I met him at the British Embassy a few years ago, I added that Ministers, of both main parties, rely on the apathy from the Great British public for not righting this wrong, adding that of course there are not enough votes in it for them.

He didn't actually respond, other than to give me a wry smile. 

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

No, the time reduction started a good number of years ago, I have known my retirement date for several years. However, it's only now that it's coming into effect. I'm in the first wave of people who have had their retirement age increased. Hence only an increase of 4 1/2 months.

What I meant was that I didn't realise they were operating in periods of less than a year. I know it is not long started as a friend of mine got his at 65 last year, think his birthday was February.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

What I meant was that I didn't realise they were operating in periods of less than a year. I know it is not long started as a friend of mine got his at 65 last year, think his birthday was February.

Typically, they use some bizarre formula to calculate your retirement age during the transition period.

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

One thing that I don't fully understand is that my weekly pension is £5 short of the maximum, even though I have way more than the required number of NI contributions. My letter did mention me opting out of a government pension scheme (presumably SERPS) but I wouldn't have thought that would make a difference with the new Universal Pension. I presumed that everyone got the same amount. If SERPS opt outs reduce the amount, it will only be a minority who receive the full amount of Universal Pension. What's "universal" about that?

The weekly maximum state pension assumes you paid solely into the Government scheme. You must have opted out of the Government scheme to go into a company/private pension scheme at some point. While in that scheme your/your company's payments would have enjoyed tax free status and your £5 reduction reflects a % of that tax free portion of the company pension you now get.

Many of us paid in to the NI system for a lot more than the required number of years but, unfortunately, the system doesn't allow you to replace the years you opted out with excess years when you paid solely into the State system.

Hope that makes sense.

I thought Class 2 contributions were being stopped. But today I just got a letter from the HM Rev entitled Changes to the Rates of Class 2 NI Contributions. Says its going up to £3 a week from 6 April 2019. On the back of the letter it sets out a contributions table for paying monthly or 6 monthly through to 2020.

4 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

I thought Class 2 contributions were being stopped. But today I just got a letter from the HM Rev entitled Changes to the Rates of Class 2 NI Contributions. Says its going up to £3 a week from 6 April 2019. On the back of the letter it sets out a contributions table for paying monthly or 6 monthly through to 2020.

Ok I missed it, seems it has been extended, sorry if this has been reported before:

https://www.in-accountancy.co.uk/2018/09/government-announces-that-class-2-nic-will-not-be-abolished/

On 3/4/2019 at 11:52 AM, billd766 said:

That's odd.

My last 2 numbers are 53 and I get paid on a Friday.

And Mine are 15 And I Get paid on a Thursday....And I Still only get HALF of my Allowance because I Only had 24 Years of NIC's Due to losing 6 Years of work in my YOUNGER Days,Due to Illness & I Never bought my Stamps....It's a GOOD Job I don't Live in the U.K Now,I Wouldn't be able to " Live " on what I Get....DISGUSTING As an Immigrant receives MORE Than I Do after putting NOTHING into the system....

On 3/11/2019 at 2:17 PM, Nong Khai Man said:

And Mine are 15 And I Get paid on a Thursday....And I Still only get HALF of my Allowance because I Only had 24 Years of NIC's Due to losing 6 Years of work in my YOUNGER Days,Due to Illness & I Never bought my Stamps....It's a GOOD Job I don't Live in the U.K Now,I Wouldn't be able to " Live " on what I Get....DISGUSTING As an Immigrant receives MORE Than I Do after putting NOTHING into the system....

If you lived in Uk you'd almost certainly qualify for some other benefit not available to anyone here.

On 3/11/2019 at 2:17 PM, Nong Khai Man said:

Mmm - Have you asked the DWP to check your NI contribution record?  CERTIFIED sickness does not usually result in the loss of NI credits. 

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:17 AM, Nong Khai Man said:

I retired at 56 due to ill health. I claimed Disability Living Allowance and, although I wasn't entitled to any money, they paid my stamp until I was 60. 

If your sick/unemployed, sign on and the government will pay your stamps.

This is a guy that lived in Pattaya and was found out that he was declaring his address as the UK, makes interesting reading.

To combat the fraudsters, HM Revenue & Customs is checking how expats suspected of scamming the state pensions spend on credit and bank cards to detect regular overseas transactions.

Passports due for renewal are also scrutinised for long-term visa stamps. Expats must send a copy of each page of their passport to the authorities before a new one is issued.

https://www.iexpats.com/cheating-expats-try-fiddle-pension-claims/

This is a guy that lived in Pattaya and was found out that he was declaring his address as the UK, makes interesting reading.

To combat the fraudsters, HM Revenue & Customs is checking how expats suspected of scamming the state pensions spend on credit and bank cards to detect regular overseas transactions.

Passports due for renewal are also scrutinised for long-term visa stamps. Expats must send a copy of each page of their passport to the authorities before a new one is issued.

https://www.iexpats.com/cheating-expats-try-fiddle-pension-claims/

I notice that the piece about fraud is 15 months old, and not a newspaper article ,who was the guy caught no mention of him? Was it a friend?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I notice that the piece about fraud is 15 months old, and not a newspaper article ,who was the guy caught no mention of him? Was it a friend?

Also quotes an expat in Spain getting busted, even though pensioners in the EU get the annual rise. Pension xfer company drumming up business. Fake news.

8 hours ago, Spidey said:

Also quotes an expat in Spain getting busted, even though pensioners in the EU get the annual rise. Pension xfer company drumming up business. Fake news.

I spotted the point about Spain and found it a bit suspicious.

The DWP are certainly not going to deny what is said in the piece.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

I spotted the point about Spain and found it a bit suspicious.

The DWP are certainly not going to deny what is said in the piece.

From my experience of the DWP, I have found them to be severely overworked, understaffed and completely incompetent. Not possible for them to carry out meaningful and far reaching investigations.

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

From my experience of the DWP, I have found them to be severely overworked, understaffed and completely incompetent. Not possible for them to carry out meaningful and far reaching investigations.

Regarding your comment that the DWP are completely incompetent, i have just had to contact them regarding non- payment of my 13 weeks pension.

Phoned them last thursday, phone answered promptly by a very efficient helpful lady ( Veronica).

Told her about non-payment, answered a few security questions, and i was told, we sent you a life cert in November, it has not been returned, told her i never received it.

So she says i will unblock your pension now, e-mail you a life cert, i received the e-mail 5 minutes later.

Call was handled politely/efficiently and i received another e-mail yesterday saying my pension has now been paid.

I was surprised that the e-mail was sent on a sunday.

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Regarding your comment that the DWP are completely incompetent, i have just had to contact them regarding non- payment of my 13 weeks pension.

Phoned them last thursday, phone answered promptly by a very efficient helpful lady ( Veronica).

Told her about non-payment, answered a few security questions, and i was told, we sent you a life cert in November, it has not been returned, told her i never received it.

So she says i will unblock your pension now, e-mail you a life cert, i received the e-mail 5 minutes later.

Call was handled politely/efficiently and i received another e-mail yesterday saying my pension has now been paid.

I was on disability living allowance for a few months due to a serious illness. I called them twice to tell them that I no longer qualified for that benefit. It took them another 5 years to stop it.

11 hours ago, Spidey said:

The UK gov. claims that the benefit fraud team assigned to Spain have recovered 13 million pounds in the last decade . I would assume this would include claiming pension credit when not eligible.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

There are always going to be different tales to tell and I think there is a deliberate policy in the DWP to get people to phone them. In the last couple of years on two occasions when I have written to the DWP I have had to lodge a formal complaint to get a response. The first time I got a £25 payment for the bad service but the second they said I had complained prior to the standard response time of 12 weeks, hardly what you could call efficient.

The phone may well suit some but I do not want to use it, it is the most unreliable form of communication created by man. Surely those with hearing difficulty are entitled to the same efficient service that you experienced.

The UK gov. claims that the benefit fraud team assigned to Spain have recovered 13 million pounds in the last decade . I would assume this would include claiming pension credit when not eligible.
A drop in the ocean, how much over 10 years has it cost them to recover it,? Also i know of a guy who was reported ,eventually they did nothing.

I was on disability living allowance for a few months due to a serious illness. I called them twice to tell them that I no longer qualified for that benefit. It took them another 5 years to stop it.
When we left i cancelled our child allowance,they kept paying it ,i sent it back ,they even sent a letter asking why i had sent it back ,did no one read my letters?

Archived