UK Pensions (2018)

CharlieH

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

True, but the way the UK treats their state pensioners here and in most countries means that they will be involved in this forum.

Stick to the point in question, which was people defrauding the DWP by claiming to live in the UK to avoid a frozen pension.

That would not apply to anyone living in the UK or a country with a reciprocal arrangement.

If it was me who owed any money, and only had a state pension and did not think I was being treated fairly and I was in the UK, I would let the Tax, DWP or whoever, take me to court. I would get legal aid, and the law says you must be left with enough to live on, so you would probably only have to pay about 2 GBP per month. [emoji2]

Which are all the options not available to anyone living here permanently and that is why my (now deceased) friend had 90% his pension (read only income) reduced for 3 months until the underpayment was repaid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
14 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Stick to the point in question, which was people defrauding the DWP by claiming to live in the UK to avoid a frozen pension.

That would not apply to anyone living in the UK or a country with a reciprocal arrangement.

I am on a retirement visa, with a one year extension of stay. I do not consider myself permanently resident in Thailand, indeed I cannot be a permanent resident, as an extension of stay is temporary permission.  Unless you have  citizenship, no expat is permanently resident.  I have been back to the UK every now and again and I have a UK address for all of my correspondence.  I am also on the Electoral Roll for my address. I am defrauding nobody, I am on an extended, temporary ( as per my permission extension)  vacation here.    

54 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You cannot expect to stick to just one point, although it is best to try and not go off topic. If you have a member in Thailand who comes from the UK, and what he does here could affect him in the UK, it is not unreasonable to mention it.

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I am on a retirement visa, with a one year extension of stay. I do not consider myself permanently resident in Thailand, indeed I cannot be a permanent resident, as an extension of stay is temporary permission.  Unless you have  citizenship, no expat is permanently resident.  I have been back to the UK every now and again and I have a UK address for all of my correspondence.  I am also on the Electoral Roll for my address. I am defrauding nobody, I am on an extended, temporary ( as per my permission extension)  vacation here.    

The ins and outs have been debated many times and no point going over old ground. I am not saying one way or the other, at the end of the day it would be up to the DWP to decide if fraud had been committed, and if it went against you, up to you to challenge that decision on whatever basis you believe to be true.

On 3/24/2019 at 8:14 AM, KarlS said:

Maybe not 'charged' but many have been found out and forced to repay by an enforced deduction from their pensions. 

This thread is Old Age Pensions, frozen ones at that,..if that is so your comment is nonsensical,just why people glibly post absolute rubbish?  Not only annoys other posters who have knowledge that it is an ignorant post also...all you have to do is read the DWP website      If you have absolute knowledge of "many found out"  I am assured in my own mind that you could indeed supply the information at a drop of a hat

On 3/25/2019 at 10:01 AM, JoePai said:

Yes

To what,a load of rubbish?  read DWP website

On 3/24/2019 at 8:31 AM, KarlS said:

I was speaking to a person only yesterday who had been found out. His pension is now reduced by £120/month until the over payment is cleared.

Rubbish   read DWP website,,,utter garbage

On 3/24/2019 at 8:34 AM, DILLIGAD said:

I believe what KarlS states above is correct as that same situation happened to a mate of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct is he?,a load of garbage   read DWP website

On 3/25/2019 at 5:02 AM, JoePai said:

They can and do - know one who "overclaimed" and money was deducted from Pension

Do what?   load of garbage  read DWP website    All of the comments scattered here are for the fairies     Fake news is worse than no news,fake fake fake the lot of it total garbage      and before another fairy appears  read the DWP website.........................................Any deductions  will be from any other DWP allowances      3 years  claiming winter fuel allowance will be deducted  from bereavement payment..........Nobody has ever been charged,led to court,threatened,had pension forcibly stopped or adjusted for Old Aged Pension  "fraud"  WOW   awaiting the Fairy Queens                     Anyway to all OAP here in Thailand   enjoy your 2.6% increase  lol
Edited 10 minutes ago by solo46

is te

I guess something like this will give cold comfort to the agreeable posters,that the right thing they themselves have done....but 'ang on a minute,just a few things here quoted do not appear right.   Now ,personally looking at the entire quote I would say the wrong tree is being pissed on from posters here    wot u say? what is supposedly the Old Age Pension........for one Stan quotes "criminal action for tax evasion',now the OAP is not taxable,  again ,latterly he quotes 'Spain'....now Id take a shot at this one ,and say it was Pension Credits being referred to,     or not,housing benefit, working tax benefits invalidity, any and also which are all criminal offenses.  All I can offer is the OAP is not subject to a fraud,  but comfort must be drawn from something,being its cold...and as for passports..well..last look lost/dated ones were all same price to renew

'The expat, who only gives his name as Stan to avoid more official attention, says he is also facing criminal action for tax evasion.

“It looks like my income from UK will be cut by over a half for several years because of the accumulated fines,” he told a reporter in Thailand.

To combat the fraudsters, HM Revenue & Customs is checking how expats suspected of scamming the state pensions spend on credit and bank cards to detect regular overseas transactions.

The DWP has a team of investigators tracking down benefit and state pension fraudsters in Spain, the most popular overseas destination for expats. '

3 minutes ago, sumrit said:

The state pension most definitely IS a taxable income.

It is taxable but only IF it is greater than the tax free allowance.

https://www.rsmuk.com/ideas-and-insights/tax-facts

Tax facts - 2019/20
INCOME TAX ALLOWANCES
  2019/20 2018/19
Basic personal allowance £12,500 £11,850
Married/civil partners allowance £8,915 £8,695
Minimum married/civil partners allowance £3,450 £3,360
7 more rows
Oct 29, 2018
1 minute ago, solo46 said:
6 minutes ago, sumrit said:

The state pension most definitely IS a taxable income.

Only if it exceeds other personal income

Even If your state pension is your only source of income, if it is more than your personal tax allowance you WILL pay income tax on your state pension.

1 minute ago, sumrit said:

Even If your state pension is your only source of income, if it is more than your personal tax allowance you WILL pay income tax on your state pension.

Strictly speaking you will pay tax on that part of the pension that exceeds the personal tax allowance.  You don't pay tax on the entire pension

3 minutes ago, solo46 said:

Only if it exceeds other personal income

Not so.

I get 3 pensions. State, Armed Forces and a company pensions.

State pension is tax free provided that it does not exceed my tax free allowance.

The difference between the tax free allowance is transferred to my Armed Forces pension

and my company pension is taxed at the standard rate of 20%.

My Armed Forces pension is the one that HMRC adjusts for tax purposes.

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Not so.

I get 3 pensions. State, Armed Forces and a company pensions.

State pension is tax free provided that it does not exceed my tax free allowance.

The difference between the tax free allowance is transferred to my Armed Forces pension

and my company pension is taxed at the standard rate of 20%.

My Armed Forces pension is the one that HMRC adjusts for tax purposes.

Is that wot was stated   Old Age pension?   nothing to do with other pensions its shunted into

As an example, if you started receiving your state pension before April 2010 and were either married or had dependent children under the age of 18 at the time you would have received the extra dependency allowance you were entitled to when you retired (and you're still married/have dependents under 18) If you also paid into the Government GSP/SERPS for a large portion of your working life, those additions to your personal state pension would (almost) definitely take you way over the personal tax allowance threshold and you will pay income tax on the state pension you receive today. My mate is in exactly that position (he retired in 2006).

11 hours ago, sumrit said:

As an example, if you started receiving your state pension before April 2010 and were either married or had dependent children under the age of 18 at the time you would have received the extra dependency allowance you were entitled to when you retired (and you're still married/have dependents under 18) If you also paid into the Government GSP/SERPS for a large portion of your working life, those additions to your personal state pension would (almost) definitely take you way over the personal tax allowance threshold and you will pay income tax on the state pension you receive today. My mate is in exactly that position (he retired in 2006).

..but again you miss the point,it is the basic Old Age Pension referred to. Yes I have Serps whatever and whatever,all those are tacked onto the basic Old Age Pension,along with other pensions

1 minute ago, solo46 said:

..but again you miss the point,it is the basic Old Age Pension referred to. Yes I have Serps whatever and whatever,all those are tacked onto the basic Old Age Pension,along with other pensions

There's always someone who wants to quote an "edge case" as if it somehow demolishes the general argument

Just now, solo46 said:

No, you miss the point, pre 2010 the married husband received a married man's allowance along with his pension allowance as one SINGLE pension. SERPS/GSP was also incorporated into the total to give one single pension. On my mates annual state pension statement it's listed as one single pension, it's not split into different segments as you seem to think.

12 hours ago, sumrit said:

No, you miss the point, pre 2010 the married husband received a married man's allowance along with his pension allowance as one SINGLE pension. SERPS/GSP was also incorporated into the total to give one single pension. On my mates annual state pension statement it's listed as one single pension, it's not split into different segments as you seem to think.

Im not being dragged into this,again it is the OLD AGE PENSION,just that. Wot he got, he is about to lose,... Amen,   that frozen pension,a 10 year old frozen pension will be nigh on worthless,  come back in exactly 12 months time and see if your argument stands

8 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

There's always someone who wants to quote an "edge case" as if it somehow demolishes the general argument

The question is whether the state pension is a taxable income and the simple answer is definitely YES.

There's no 'edge case'and no argument. It IS a taxable income. Your personal tax allowance will determine whether any income tax is actually payable or not, nothing else.

4 minutes ago, solo46 said:

it is the OLD AGE PENSION, a 10 year old frozen pension

It's not the old age pension, you don't receive that until you're eighty. Before then it's officially called a Retirement Pension.

Yes, it finishes in 2020 but it hasn't been frozen, he's had all the annual increases because my mate still lives in the UK.

5 minutes ago, sumrit said:

There's no 'edge case'and no argument. It IS a taxable income. Your personal tax allowance will determine whether any income tax is actually payable or not, nothing else.

I was referring to billd766's post about being in receipt of three different pensions.  I had already pointed out (Post 168) that "Strictly speaking you will pay tax on that part of the pension that exceeds the personal tax allowance.  You don't pay tax on the entire pension". 

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

I was referring to billd766's post about being in receipt of three different pensions.  I had already pointed out (Post 168) that "Strictly speaking you will pay tax on that part of the pension that exceeds the personal tax allowance.  You don't pay tax on the entire pension". 

Not strictly true. I have a company pension. It exceeds the threshold. I pay tax on it. Same amount every month. In May I will receive my state pension. My tax bill will increase by exactly the amount calculated on the whole of my state pension. Therefore, in practice, I will be taxed on the whole of my state pension. Yes all my tax will be collected via my company pension, but that is irrelevant to me. I will be paying additional tax commensurate with 20% of my state pension. Haven't worked out yet if it takes me into the higher tax band, if it does, I'll be paying even more.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

It is taxable but only IF it is greater than the tax free allowance.

https://www.rsmuk.com/ideas-and-insights/tax-facts

Tax facts - 2019/20
INCOME TAX ALLOWANCES
  2019/20 2018/19
Basic personal allowance £12,500 £11,850
Married/civil partners allowance £8,915 £8,695
Minimum married/civil partners allowance £3,450 £3,360
7 more rows
Oct 29, 2018

get 10% of your wife's/husbands allowance if she/he has one and doesn't use it all. this would give you an allowance of 110% of the current rate

Archived