The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Rumour is pep is going to be replaced by Jose in January to try and turn your season round. Although I heard Jose turned it down stating that he couldn’t face the humiliation of managing the second most famous club in Manchester!!!

14 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Rumour is pep is going to be replaced by Jose in January to try and turn your season round. Although I heard Jose turned it down stating that he couldn’t face the humiliation of managing the second most famous club in Manchester!!!

57 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Yawn.

Wait, R2D2 will on later claiming you are a club in crisis.  ????

Then you'll go and win nearly all of your next 20 fixtures and you won't hear from him again.......

11 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Feel sorry for Mourinho, badly let down by those ManU players.

I wouldnt be feeling to smug just yet buttyboy, your lot have a long way to catch up...a total reset for the club reckons Rednev.

Rednev summarised it really well in his Sky interview by Geoff Shreeves

We will be next season and meanwhile you peaked last year when their was no competition. Down hill for City from now on. Manchester is Red and United are the PRIDE of all Europe. How’s your blue Santa costume?

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

WE City fans stated beginning of the season, when some on here were saying that it's  Citys again, that it won't be easy, retaining a title isnt easy, only a couple had done so. Think you'll  remember  that and WE've been proved right, players haven't played to the same level.

The documentary was signed up for BEFORE last season started but nice try at distorting the facts.

Losing 3 out of 4 games; can't see it being retained now unless we get everyone back and keep the fit, go on a run and van dijk, goalie, salah and other A-players have significant time out with injuries. 

But it wasn't only Liverpool  that strengthened in the summer. You did too. I think this is a classic case of disappearing up your own backside....

I doubt City fans are even bothered about retaining the title TBH. After all they have already awarded themselves the ultimate 'best PL team ever' prize. 

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

But it wasn't only Liverpool  that strengthened in the summer. You did too. I think this is a classic case of disappearing up your own backside....

I doubt City fans are even bothered about retaining the title TBH. After all they have already awarded themselves the ultimate 'best PL team ever' prize. 

Rick i reckon there's a lot of idiot posters on here but usually I rate your posts. But this is not one of your better posts.

1. Reread my post and then yours and I'm not sure why you raise strengthening in the summer. Yes we bought Mahrez (personally I don't think we strengthened but Pep rates him, and we didn't need another winger - we needed a LB and a Fernandinho replacement), most teams except Spurs bought/strengthened. So? 

2. "A classic case of....backside". Why Ricky? Seems like your venting your spleen more than anything after the recent problems at ManU post Fergie.

3. "I doubt City fans are even bothered about retaining the title TBH"...a candidate for the most stupid post of the year if you truly believe that.

4. Did City really award themselves the ultimate 'best PL team ever' prize? Where was that, I missed it if it really happened. I would say last seasons team was ONE of the best PL teams ever along with several others (Arsenal, ManU and others).

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I would say last seasons team was ONE of the best PL teams ever along with several others (Arsenal, ManU and others).

No chance. If you can't retain the title you don't deserve to be in that bracket. I'd make an exception with the Invincibles Arsenal side.

I'm saying you don't care about retaining because you are still on Cloud 9 after last season. There's still an element of the small club mentality for me. Nothing wrong with that, it's just part of your make up. The fact is Everton, Villa and Sunderland have all won more league titles than you. To become a big club you need to put more trophies in the cabinet. 

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

No chance. (1)If you can't retain the title you don't deserve to be in that bracket. I'd make an (2)exception with the Invincibles Arsenal side.

I'm saying you don't care about retaining because (3)you are still on Cloud 9 after last season. There's still an element of the small club mentality for me. Nothing wrong with that, it's just part of your make up. The fact is Everton, Villa and Sunderland have all won more league titles than you. To become (5) a big club (4)you need to put more trophies in the cabinet. 

1. No team in a decade has retained the title. Why is that? Most likely with more tv-money shared, the bottom teams are capable of taking points more than they were a decade ago (no Alfie im not going searching for facts for you before you ask - it's my opinion on what ive seen).

2. You make an exception for the Arsenal team. Why? Don't get me wrong, i reckon they were one of the best, but so were last seasons City team - the records we broke speak for themselves and prove that.

3. Of course we're  impressed with last year's  team...did you see us play? With the exception of a couple of games we were excellent and if you disagree you're either deluding yourself or know nothing of the game.

4. We will win more trophies, that i am VERY sure about (and I'll bet you are too).

5. Being a big club? So what's the definition?

Winning English championships? Well Huddersfield  Wolves to name a couple  have won a few championships but big clubs? No.

Crowd size? Probably a factor.

Newcastle and Spurs haven't won much in my lifetime but i would say are big clubs, particularly the Geordies.

Are City one of England's big clubs? Historically and currently you would have to say yes.

Are we as big as ManU? Before WW2 apparently we were but not since (i trust youll know that if youve read a copy of Gary James' brilliant tomb 'Manchester - A Football History').

11 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

1. No team in a decade has retained the title. Why is that? Most likely with more tv-money shared, the bottom teams are capable of taking points more than they were a decade ago (no Alfie im not going searching for facts for you before you ask - it's my opinion on what ive seen).

2. You make an exception for the Arsenal team. Why? Don't get me wrong, i reckon they were one of the best, but so were last seasons City team - the records we broke speak for themselves and prove that.

3. Of course we're  impressed with last year's  team...did you see us play? With the exception of a couple of games we were excellent and if you disagree you're either deluding yourself or know nothing of the game.

4. We will win more trophies, that i am VERY sure about (and I'll bet you are too).

5. Being a big club? So what's the definition?

Winning English championships? Well Huddersfield  Wolves to name a couple  have won a few championships but big clubs? No.

Crowd size? Probably a factor.

Newcastle and Spurs haven't won much in my lifetime but i would say are big clubs, particularly the Geordies.

Are City one of England's big clubs? Historically and currently you would have to say yes.

Are we as big as ManU? Before WW2 apparently we were but not since (i trust youll know that if youve read a copy of Gary James' brilliant tomb 'Manchester - A Football History').

We are going way off piste... and I am probably partly responsible for that.

But look, I am not here to 'troll' or whatever you want to call it. I posted in here because I have a major gripe. I think City are a much better team than the bang average scousers. You should be winning this league, and to me it looks like what's let you down is resting on your laurels and perhaps believing in your own hype. We were told this team was the best in generations... now it is clear there is a soft under belly. There were a lot of worrying aspects to that documentary if I was a city fan IMO... including the alarming amount of Spanish which you heard spoken around the club. I just hope either you or Spurs can turn things around. 

28 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Because we finished 2nd last year with a very average side. The Invincibles beat a world class United side to the title. 

21 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

But look, I am not here to 'troll' or whatever you want to call it. I posted in here because I have a major gripe. I think City are a much better team than the bang average scousers. You should be winning this league, and to me it looks like what's let you down is resting on your laurels and perhaps believing in your own hype. We were told this team was the best in generations... now it is clear there is a soft under belly. There were a lot of worrying aspects to that documentary if I was a city fan IMO... including the alarming amount of Spanish which you heard spoken around the club. I just hope either you or Spurs can turn things around. 

Nothing to turn around at Spurs next year except our turnstiles! :laugh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Trolling. That's what the southern nancy-boys cry when someone posts something on a football thread the fans of that website won't like. I however call it football banter, football windup, it's what football fans do. So no worries.

Are we a better team than the bang average scousers?

Over a whole season last season clearly we we were, on the day either team could edge it.

Are we better this season? They have strengthened really well in key positions where they were a joke previously, in goal and centreback and now their defence is outstanding. Over the first 14 games we were JUST edging it, and when we met I think we were the better team and we should have won (Mahrez you plonker!!!). oVER The past month they have continued doing as they have been doing all season, while we have been dominating teams and getting caught with  a sucker-punch (Chelsea; first attack, first goal, 44th minute) or getting a goal up against lower league teams then letting them back in the game and then being shocked by a worldy goal. At the moment Rick the table doesn't lie, Liverpool are the best team going in to 2019 no matter how much that repulses you and me.

PS. City always had a soft underbelly last season which some teams exploited - we attack too much and leave ourselves open to counter-attacking teams.

I didn't find ANYTHING alarming in the City documentary I watched 2 weeks ago.

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Because we finished 2nd last year with a very average side. The Invincibles beat a world class United side to the title. 

Don't know about that.

The season Arsenal won it with 90 points from Chelseas 79 points, Manu were 3rd 15 points behind the winner, hardly world class that.

The following season Chelsea won it with 95 points from Arsenals 83 points, Manu were 3rd again 18 points behind the winner, hardly world class that.

Pep is not a magician after all, when you think about how much money the club spent to build this City team.   He is a good manager but he can choose from the top drawer. 

Spurs is a good example of what you can do with a team given enough time and with the best manager. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Don't know about that.

The season Arsenal won it with 90 points from Chelseas 79 points, Manu were 3rd 15 points behind the winner, hardly world class that.

The following season Chelsea won it with 95 points from Arsenals 83 points, Manu were 3rd again 18 points behind the winner, hardly world class that.

Well Googled, but I disagree. That was a side with a near prime Scholes, Keane and Giggs. Plus RVD. Young Rooney and Ronaldo (I think) also I remember our GK was a big issue around that time. 

You should also remember that Chelsea team was well on the way to becoming the title winning team in José's first season. 3 world class outfits those teams, in a high quality era. I'd say current City would have competed with them, but now not so sure.

Edited by RickG16

11 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Last year Manchester City raised the bar considerably.

Now it is good to see other teams are trying to catch up; where it makes PL more interesting to watch and improves English Football.

Liverpool have got better and they've got worse.

15 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Good to see Guardiola, despite a disappointing run, still have the class to shake the hands of the opposition manager and players at the final whistle.  Ditto Bernardo Silva. 

Some things money can’t buy. 

Really? Pretty standard behaviour TBH. Even 'son of the devil' Jose would shake hands with opp manager and players usually. 

26 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Really? Pretty standard behaviour TBH. Even 'son of the devil' Jose would shake hands with opp manager and players usually. 

Yeah everyone but his own players. If you can’t see the difference between the two then that’s your prerogative. 

Edited by Kadilo

10 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Yeah everyone but his own players. If you can’t see the difference between the two then that’s your prerogative. 

Kadilo... don't get swept away by the media reports of the last few months. Football did exist before then, you know?

What I am referring to is Pep's first year at City. You might recall that this is a guy who get's very grumpy when things aren't going his way. He made giving one word answers to the media his speciality. Be interesting to see if the surly, uncommunicative Pep returns. 

• Haha 1